How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

Old August 29th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

flyer wrote:
Okay, so an update on this. I drilled 34 (decided it was unwise to widen
the valve hole or drill a huge hole over the rim join) 3/4" (1.9cm)
holes in my nightrider. It looks pretty badass, and I'll post pictures
a bit later. I don't have the equipment to put smaller holes on the
inside diameter of the rim, but the final weight ended up at 1048g.
That's a whopping 68 grams off the stock wheel!

Now I just have to rebuild the unicycle, and see if it was worth the
trouble and if the weaker rim holds up.

After I shave down the tire and swap out my rim strip, I'm looking at a
half kilo (providing my tire tread removal estimate is right) of weight
off a nightrider tire/rim combo with a 29'er tube.

woo!

This is really exciting stuff.

I can imagine how spectacular a crash it might be if a 36" inch wheel
tacoed underneath you.

--
lpounds

'' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-q-VOaDB7M&feature=related)
Old August 30th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Cool stuff, you are going to have to let me try it when I get to St.
John's.

What did you use to drill the holes? Drill press? What did you use to
de-bur the rim with after you were done?

Still looking forward to seeing someone drill all the way through, I
might just buy that SE rim from Levi and drill it instead of building
up an UW.

Anybody have a shop I could borrow anywhere east of Toronto?

--
saskatchewanian
Old August 30th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

flyer wrote:
woo!

Good stuff, Dave! I bet it won't crumple. In fact, I reckon it can go
further...

I've just calculated how much it saves to put two holes between each
spoke. This is based on drilling 70 holes - missing the two at the
valve; taking density of material as 2.71g/cm^3 (which came out just
right for my own drilling pattern estimate, using 1mm as thickness for
the inner wall) and taking a thickness of 2.6mm for the outside wall,
based on calculating from Dave's weight saved - that seems reasonable
from looking at the valve hole.

So by drilling 70 holes of the following diameters into the visible
wall of a Stealth rim I think we can save:
15mm: 87g
16mm: 99g
17mm: 112g

See attached sketch to estimate how prudent, or otherwise, this plan
may look.

Sam

|Filename: nightrider drilling.png |

redwelly
Old August 30th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

redwelly wrote:
[...]

Couldn't you cut bigger holes if you put one hole closer to one edge of
the rim and the other hole closer to the other edge of the rim?

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old August 30th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

GizmoDuck wrote:
Couldn't you cut bigger holes if you put one hole closer to one edge of
the rim and the other hole closer to the other edge of the rim?

Yeah, possibly. Although I don't think you can drill too close to the
edge as there are internals of the rim cross-section that you wouldn't
want to hit. I think that it is the same as the 'cross-section on the
KH29 rim' (http://www.unicycle.uk.com/Images/Shop/Krisholmrim.jpg).
The attached sketch might be OK though.

Also, if you make the holes zig-zag then the main width of the bridge
of material going from one side of the rim to the other would not be
straight. Would that be a problem? I don't know, as I don't really
understand how the material strength/structure works.

Sam

P.S. I don't know why Illustrator has made this into a magical rainbow,
but I'm not going to fight it.

|Filename: nightrider drilling2.png |

redwelly
Old August 30th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

How about oval holes

You could drill the holes so they are touching then grind the inside to
make flat sides to the ovals. something like the Monty 221 rims
[image: http://www.hbtrials.com/photos/monty...front_rim.jpg]

That way you would leave more material near the spoke holes. I don't
think that a skinny bridge between two holes where there is no spoke
adds a whole lot to the strength or integrity of the wheel.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 4th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Hey Dave, Its been a couple months, how is the wheel holding up?

And any pics yet?

Sorry I didn't make it to St. Johns, missed the last ferry out of
Labrador.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 4th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

redwelly;1078693 wrote:

I didn't weigh my actual rim beforehand, but going by the stated weight
of 1116g, and my measured 'after' weight of 1069, I saved 47g.

Unicycle.com are you reading this? What a ridiculous amount of effort
riders are going to to save a few grams. We definitely need a lighter,
possibly bigger road tire and rim combination. Cokers are tanks that are
not entirely designed for speed. We want to go fast and hurt
ourselves!!!

--
Rowan
Old November 4th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Isn't anodizing lighter than powder coat, as its the metal that turns
color...? If your willing to do all that drilling why would you not also
strip the paint or at least op for anodized coloring?

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old November 4th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

agentQ;1124760 wrote:
Isn't anodizing lighter than powder coat, as its the metal that turns
color...? If your willing to do all that drilling why would you not also
strip the paint or at least op for anodized coloring?

The original nightriders were anodised black as far as I know. I dunno
who it was who thought it would be a good idea to powdercoat them
"Stealth white".

--
Rowan