MTB pedals on a road bike?

Old April 12th 04, 05:49 AM
rickn

Default MTB pedals on a road bike?

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?
Is there any reason not to?
I would like to be able to swap the pedals from my road bike to mountain
bike as necessary. (However, I am not yet sure if the crank-threads are
the same from bike-to-bike.)

Thanks,
Rick
Old April 12th 04, 06:13 AM
Matt O'Toole

rickn wrote:

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?
Is there any reason not to?
I would like to be able to swap the pedals from my road bike to
mountain bike as necessary. (However, I am not yet sure if the
crank-threads are the same from bike-to-bike.)

Yes, they are. Remember the left pedal is reverse-threaded, though. Make sure
you put the right pedal on the right side, so you don't strip the threads.

MTB pedals are fine. IMO they're better because they have clips on both sides.
Single sided road pedals are inconvenient, and usually more expensive. There's
no reason to bother with them unless you need one of the larger platform
designs. Most people don't.

I use the same MTB pedal on both my road and mountain bikes. When I bought my
road bike, I looked for another pair of my old Shimano SPDs on eBay. I paid $20
for some NOS, in a factory box w/ new cleats, and I couldn't be happier.

Matt O.

Old April 12th 04, 06:53 AM
A Muzi

rickn wrote:

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?
Is there any reason not to?
I would like to be able to swap the pedals from my road bike to mountain
bike as necessary. (However, I am not yet sure if the crank-threads are
the same from bike-to-bike.)

Yes you can use the same type of pedal and Yes the threads
are the same (so you'd need only one pair of shoes for both
bikes.)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old April 12th 04, 07:28 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:49:16 -0400, rickn rickn wrote:

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

Without seeing the bike, hard to say for certain. But every Veloce
owner I have known has been happy with their bike.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?

Yes.

Is there any reason not to?

You will have some bicyclist look at you with derision. Hopefully you
can find better things to do with your time than take these people
seriously. Beyond that, no significant reason not to do this.

I would like to be able to swap the pedals from my road bike to mountain
bike as necessary. (However, I am not yet sure if the crank-threads are
the same from bike-to-bike.)

The threads will be the same. You will probably get tired of swapping,
though, so plan on another set of pedals in the near future
Old April 12th 04, 07:31 AM
Ken

Dan Daniel wrote in
:
You will have some bicyclist look at you with derision. Hopefully you
can find better things to do with your time than take these people
seriously. Beyond that, no significant reason not to do this.

Challenge them to race up the longest, steepest hill in your area. If you win,
they won't sneer at you any more. If you lose, well ...
Old April 12th 04, 08:34 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?

Yes.

Is there any reason not to?

You will have some bicyclist look at you with derision. Hopefully you
can find better things to do with your time than take these people
seriously. Beyond that, no significant reason not to do this.

Oh gosh, hopefully not! It would be at least partly my fault, as I've been
part of various bicycle product meetings at TREK where I've pushed strongly
for double-sided SPD pedals on all road bikes up to $1700 (which means all
road bikes that come with pedals, since the more-expensive models come
without any). I've noted no "derisive" resistance to them whatsoever.
People often change to a lighter-weight "road" pedal (most often Speedplays,
sometimes Looks), but rarely is this accompanied with remarks regarding the
suitability of "mountain bike" pedals on a road bike.

A lot of very serious riders use double-sides SPDs on their road bikes.
Many simply find them more practical; if they're doing a long ride or tour,
they have an easier time getting around when off the bike. I definitely
could have used something more practical than my lightweight Speedplay X2
setup when I was up on the Tourmalet last July, waiting & walking around for
four hours before the Tour de France came through. Pretty much ruined a
pair of shoes in that one outing!

(But it was worth it- check out
http://www.ChainReaction.com/france0....htm#tourmalet)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 12th 04, 02:32 PM
Mark Hickey

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

A lot of very serious riders use double-sides SPDs on their road bikes.

The vast majority of miles I put on my road bike are with double-sided
SPDs (Ritchey, actually), for all the reasons Mike mentioned.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 12th 04, 03:13 PM
Justin Seiferth

Others have already answered yes and several have offered up lightness
and speedplay (presumeably because of float) as road options. I also
use SPD pedals- WTB 250 "Stealth" in my case. They are quite cheap (I
haven't paid more than $50 off ebay or on-line), light and offer
adjustable float. Bebop are another option but they are more
expensive.

Old April 12th 04, 06:32 PM
Eagle Jackson

I use mtb pedals -- Speedplay Frogs -- on all my bikes: road, mtb,
touring.

With stiff soled shoes, like Sidi Dominator 4's, I don't see any
disadvantages on the road and plenty of advantages (eg ease of
walking; also I like the float of the Frogs better than the Speedplay
X/2's, which I used previously).
Old April 12th 04, 06:48 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:49:16 -0400, rickn wrote:

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

A deal you are happy with is a good one. Sounds like a good bike for not
much money to me.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike. I already own a pair of
SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap. Will I be able to mount mountain
bike pedals on this bike?

Yes

Is there any reason not to?

No.

I would like to be
able to swap the pedals from my road bike to mountain bike as necessary.
(However, I am not yet sure if the crank-threads are the same from
bike-to-bike.)

Threads are the same. Only low-end bikes with Astabula cranks tend to
have a different size.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM