fatal hit & run...

Old September 3rd 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default fatal hit & run...

"raamman" wrote in message

to make a real farce out of all this.....now they are trying to float
the idea that the cyclist grabbed the steering wheel and drove himself
into oblivion...dosen't quite explain on how he managed to work the
accelerator, but I'm sure our good police services will be able to
come up with a theory on that too.

Any bets that the "official" turns out to be the victim in this death? In
the end he will have been merely defending himself from a vicious cyclist
intent on doing him harm for simply using the same streets.

Old September 3rd 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raamman

On Sep 2, 8:33*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"raamman" wrote in message

to make a real farce out of all this.....now they are trying to float
the idea that the cyclist grabbed the steering wheel and drove himself
into oblivion...dosen't quite explain on how he managed to work the
accelerator, but I'm sure our good police services will be able to
come up with a theory on that too.

Any bets that the "official" turns out to be the victim in this death? In
the end he will have been merely defending himself from a vicious cyclist
intent on doing him harm for simply using the same streets.

no doubt, if the biker had just cashed in a multi-million dollar
lottery ticket, Bryant would be suing the estate for "damages"
Old September 3rd 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raamman

On Sep 2, 8:07*pm, Henry wrote:
On Sep 2, 12:03*pm, bar wrote:

On Sep 1, 7:53*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

"Paul G." wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:26*am, "Snippy de Bobkins" wrote:
A Toronto cyclist has died after he was struck by a convertible in a
Yorkville hit-and-run Monday night.

This sounds like something out of "The Road Warrior". *Note to self-
NEVER hang onto a speeding car.

Here's some details on the cyclist, a bike messenger:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ified-in-bryan...
http://tinyurl.com/lynw68

"Ken Brownhill of Action Messenger said that Mr. Sheppard was well-
liked among his co-workers and that he'd received e-mails from clients
commending Mr. Sheppard's polite and friendly demeanour."

Here's more detail on what happened:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/wo...02toronto.html
http://tinyurl.com/lrmgw5

"After the collision, Mr. Sheppard apparently grabbed the driver’s
side door and held on. Within moments, the police received reports of
a Saab convertible racing past the fashionable shops of Bloor Street
with a man clinging to its side. Two construction workers doing
repairs along the road told CTV, a Canadian television network, that
the car accelerated, its tires squealing, before veering into oncoming
traffic on the left side of the street.

Both men said that the motorist repeatedly mounted the sidewalk and
drove near lampposts in what seemed to be an attempt to brush off the
man hanging to the side. One of the workers, who was not identified by
CTV, said the driver was “yelling pretty loud and he sounded very,
very angry.” The other said, “He meant to knock him off.” Several
witnesses said that the clinging man flew off of the car after
striking a mailbox."

-Paul

I think the main focus should be on whether or not the Saab convertible was dented or not.
You can always have another child and raise him or her to be a bike messenger. *But denting or
scratching a brand new Saab is something that can really devastate one's life. *My heart goes
out to the driver.

Thanks,

Magilla

was he wearing a helmet?

goes without saying really, being a courier.- Hide quoted text -

a lot of couriers wear helmets, being on the road all day there is a
constant chance of needing it, less due to your own fault but by the
fault of someone else, that and the antecedal testimony of others who
learned the hard way vs those who were glad they did.

I am reminded of a conversation I had once with a fellow biker who was
telling me how after a mishap while he was clutching his head in
blinding pain he had a mental picture of his helmet hanging by his
bedpost at home; he was sharing what he had learned.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"raamman" wrote in message

a lot of couriers wear helmets, being on the road all day there is a
constant chance of needing it, less due to your own fault but by the
fault of someone else, that and the antecedal testimony of others who
learned the hard way vs those who were glad they did.

As Safety Director of the AFM way back when, I actually did a study of
helmets since Bell was pushing them so hard. I assumed that they would work
at least somewhat. I was horrified to discover that using simple mathematics
you could see that helmets were almost completely worthless on a motorcycle.

So when I stopped riding motorcycles and then many years later started
riding bicycles I assumed that helmets would work better for bicycles. Again
using simple mathematics it became clear that while a helmet isn't
completely worthless on a bicycle, it is so close to that state that the
only real effect it tends to have is to keep your head from suffering
friction burns and the like.

I am reminded of a conversation I had once with a fellow biker who was
telling me how after a mishap while he was clutching his head in
blinding pain he had a mental picture of his helmet hanging by his
bedpost at home; he was sharing what he had learned.

You'll note that the very idea that he was holding his head in pain
demonstrates that the accident was very minor.

For accidents in which your head bangs against something hard enough to be
painful but not hard enough to do any major damage a helmet is fine.

But you must realize that you cannot depend on a couple of ounces of plastic
foam to protect you from any real damage. You must stay constantly vigilant
and careful to really protect yourself.

Old September 3rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raamman

On Sep 2, 10:36*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"raamman" wrote in message

[...]

oh Tom, your farts make more sense than you do. a few ounces won't
protect- so you think they should be heavier, much much heavier to
protect, like an suv protects it's driver better in a rollover,
because it's heavier.... You ? As Safety Director ? what fool
promoted you to such a position that you can espose such garbage
today ? clearly, any certification, diploma or whatever was likely
from a sage institution one might find on Grenada, if it simply wasn't
just one you threw on your application,and no one checked, or maybe
you found someone elses in a dumpster, you crossed your name out and
scratched in yours.mispelled, more likely. yep, don't bother with
seatbelts cause they'll prevent you from being thrown clear, go ahead
and fart your way along you proverbial dumbass, I pronounce you King !
Old September 3rd 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

"raamman" wrote in message

[...]

Not bad at all.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old September 3rd 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

"raamman" wrote in message

to make a real farce out of all this.....now they are trying to float
the idea that the cyclist grabbed the steering wheel and drove himself
into oblivion...dosen't quite explain on how he managed to work the
accelerator, but I'm sure our good police services will be able to
come up with a theory on that too.

Any bets that the "official" turns out to be the victim in this death? In
the end he will have been merely defending himself from a vicious cyclist
intent on doing him harm for simply using the same streets.

There is apparently considerable video footage of this incident. I
decline to figure out what happened until I know more.

Old September 3rd 09, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ric

On Sep 2, 7:32*pm, raamman wrote:
****, anybody want to firebomb downtown TO, please go ahead.

The Toronto Song
By the Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie
(from the album Con Troupo Comedius, recorded "in, like, 92
or something")

I hate the SkyDome and the CN Tower too;
I hate Nathan Philips Square and the Metro Zoo!
The rent's too high,
The air's unclean,
The beaches are dirty,
And the people are mean!
And the women are big and the men are dumb
And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum!
The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork!
They dress real bad and they think they're New York...
In Toronto . . . !
Ontario . . . oh-oh!
Old September 3rd 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

. You must stay constantly vigilant
and careful to really protect yourself.

Kunich, you ignorant misguided ****,

1. Your fat ass photo on facebook shows you wearing a helmet.

2. You're truly (on a universal scale) a Grand Moron

3. I doubt you ride a bike enough to know or even fathom all of the
possible ways that 'vigilence' is a ridiculous notion once gravity and
other forces take over.

4. I honestly don't know how you live with yourself but can certainly
see that others wouldn't want to live with you. I doubt you'd even be
able to go down to the Greyhound station and pick up some human refuse
that wouldn't either run from your apt screaming in insanity a few
hours later or just wait long enough to kill you in your sleep and
doing us all a favor.

Just a few months ago I had hardly an idea in the world that you
existed. I am now convinced that you're the biggest dick weed douche
bag **** face in the history of mankind. The kind of boorish baboon
that Rod Serling used to make episodes about. I've seen you in many
of those but you're worse than any single one. You're all of them
put together and then some.
Old September 3rd 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

Anton Berlin wrote:
[...]

Damn I really wish you'd quit sugar coating this and tell us all how you
really feel.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

Fatal hit and run Leytonstone spindrift UK 2 September 11th 07 03:12 PM
Perverting justice after an fatal RTA spindrift UK 9 March 9th 07 11:38 PM
saddle rot - fatal? bugbear UK 10 February 14th 07 02:06 AM
Fatal bicycle accident G.T. Techniques 1 April 11th 06 03:04 AM
Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run cfsmtb Australia 34 May 10th 05 01:07 AM