unicycle advise

Old July 11th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
themunkyuni

Default unicycle advise

hi people.
im new to this site.
i was wondering if any one could advise if i should buy a nimbus
trials?
are they good?

also if anyone has any trick tips i would be very happy if they would
tell me.

i have been unicycling for about three months now.
i can hop down about six stairs one by one i want to know how to jump
forward while im riding and also how to get more height.
i also want to learn to ride backwards.
any trick tips what so ever i would be very happy with.

thanks.

please respond!!

--
themunkyuni
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Youve been ridding for a while, so the Nimbus trials will be good for
you because you are still on the basics. But because you have been
riding for a while, your gonna progress fast and may exceed the limits
of the nimbus trials.

From the sounds of it, you seem interested in trials or street. Jumping
stairs and all that fun stuff. You may actually want to buy a Torder
DX, or a Qu-Ax. They ahve splined hub/crankset, and will hold up better
for when you start jumping farther and higher.

They come in 20 or 24" sizes (technically the 20" are 19" but save that
for later lol) The 20" is good for jumping, street tricks, trials, and
can handle some good muni, slowly, but you will get through the trails.
The 24" can be used for trials and street, but because of the size its
harder to be as nimble and responsive as the 20" will be. For muni
purposes, the 24" will own the 20"

Both DX and Qu-Ax are sweet strong rides, and on the cheaper side.
(unless you got plenty of cash, then Koxx and KH are the best to go
for)

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Sorry, double post.

Dam this site is slow tonight

--
skilewis74
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

The Nimbus Trials is a good uni, but since it has a cotter less hub and
cranks I wouldn't do any big drops. If you do you'll break the hub
and/or cranks (prob a couple of sets of cranks, then the hub). You'll
prob break them anyways w/in a couple of months from hopping and
smallish drops but probably not before you'd have saved up for a KH
moment hub.

If you focus on technical trials and flatland tricks the crankset
should last you a while (I'm not sure but I think 'these '
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=847)are stronger than
the LX cranks). I wouldn't hop down more than 2 stairs at a time
untill you have a splined crankset. Then you'll have a bombproof uni.

For learning to ride backwards I whent back to the railing that I used
to learn to ride and followed all the bassic learning advise, esp
keeping my weight on the seat. I also got some 661 padded shorts (I've
used them a few times when I didn't pull my feet of the pedals fast
enough).

I did the same for learning SIF and SIB. I had to experiment a lot w/
diff seat hights, hand positions and crank lengths (out of 102's,
114's, 125's, and 152's I found 114's the easiest).

Edit: Nimbus trials from 'Justonewheel.com'
(http://justonewheel.com/productDetails.aspx?PID=70) + KH crankset=same
strength as a Qu-Ax (make sure it's the yellow hub), and same cost, but
lighter. The DX is good and cheep, but heavy. The Qu-Ax 24 doesn't
come w/ brake mounts.

--
skilewis74
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_jim

for your riding hop question: start from a stop, hop, and as you land
try to immediately start pedaling. Now that you can do this, ride
slowly and hop, roll immediately upon landing.

riding backwards: you remember how you learned to ride forewards?
exactly the same learning process, just reverse. for the first while
you won't have the fore/aft balance, but it will develop for backwards
riding if you practice

height: practice. tuck. low seat. practice. tuck. practice. prehop.
practice. practice. practice.
oh, do not give up on this one, riding backwards is one of the most
fun tricks to do! ...just takes a little while to learn.

(the low seat bit is assuming you are still hopping seat in, if you are
SIF, ride a regular sest height)

--
uni_jim

phthoruth wrote:
just because Kris can do it, doesnt mean its possible

'evolve trials'
(http://tinyurl.com/2uho7c)
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
themunkyuni

thanks for the reply guys.

can any one help me?
i dont have a clue what SIF or SIB means sorry. please tell me what
these mean if u know.
i also want advise on how to get distance when i jump forward.
ive seen some videos where people jump like 1 meter forward.
i find it really hard and can only jump forward about 3 inchs.

i am more than happy to receive any trick tips.

thanks!

--
themunkyuni
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kerosian

SIF= Seat in Front, it is a technique where you put your seat slightly
in front of you and hold the side of it with your hand, if you watch a
trials vid, you'll see this alot, as it enables you to jump higher.
SIB= Seat in Back, I really don't know how this is useful, other than
it looks pretty cool. It's harder though.
I can't be the greatest advisor for rolling hops, because I usually do
a sidehop instead, because I can sidehop like six feet. For rolling hop
advice, ask skrobo

--
kerosian

I used to get high on life, until I built up a tolerance, so now I
unicycle.
Yay! Pamba Mountain b*ke race July 22nd, wish me luck!
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Is the KH20. Kinda expensive. If you read this thread you may learn how
to get the best price for one.
ttp://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60873

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60873

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
themunkyuni

thanks for all the feed back guys.
it has been really helpful.
i would really like to know how to get height when i jump.

also any more advise on wat new uni to buy(trials)

if any one in NSW Australia has a uni for sail please tell me.
or if any one knows of any websites to buy unicycles please tell me
finally if anyone knows of any shops in Sydney Australia for uni's.

thanx hpz for the feed back.

--
themunkyuni
http://www.usenet.com