Why do bicyclist have to try the patience of automobile drivers?

Old February 23rd 04, 05:09 AM
Hunrobe

Default Why do bicyclist have to try the patience of automobile drivers?

Luigi de Guzman

wrote in part:

Or all traffic moving at nearly the same speed--I can imagine
this taking place at around 15 miles an hour on a busy road.

---snip---

The OP wrote that she was "sitting in my car waiting for a bicyclist to pass
by". That doesn't sound at all like she was edging too close to a cyclist
filtering through heavy traffic. It does sound like a knothead. Why must we
always assume in this NG that only good people ride bicycles? There are plenty
of people out there that *like* to damage property just for the hell of it.
Those people walk, drive, take public transportation, and even ride bicycles.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old February 23rd 04, 05:10 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default worth an attemp at reason

.................\|||/
.................(0 o)
...,---ooO--(_)---------,
...|` ` ` `PLEASE```````|
...|` ` DON'T FEED```` |
...|` ` ` THE TROLLS`` |
...'-------------Ooo----'
..............|__|__|
.................|| ||
............ooO Ooo

But rarely do people "trolling" post with a legit address, as this person
did. She's been using that same address, and appears to be associated with
a kite-flying business, for many, many years.

I honestly there's a chance this person may simply be over-reacting to a few
coincidental situations she encountered. I'd treat her (for the moment) as
neither a troll nor someone deserving (yet) of being flamed. Best to
attempt reason at first and see where it gets here. It could be totally
disarming as she becomes aware that we're not all a bunch of
testosterone-crazed ego-centric self-absorbed spandex-clad psychos.

I mean, we're not *all* those things, are we? :)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 23rd 04, 05:17 AM
Pete

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote

I honestly there's a chance this person may simply be over-reacting to a

few
coincidental situations she encountered.

Overreacting, or putting to paper (electrons) the same feelings that a *lot*
of non cyclists have?

Pete

Old February 23rd 04, 05:23 AM
cheg

We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in
Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide

enough to
accommadate you?

If the "bicycle path" you are talking about is the Burke Gilman
trail, the nearest point is over 3 miles away, near the Fremont
bridge. Maybe they weren't going that way. We have a freeway built
just for cars here in Seattle, why weren't you on it?

State law gives bicycles the right to use public roads. Surprise,
your convenience is not more important than theirs.

Old February 23rd 04, 05:24 AM
David Reuteler

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
: Frame pump. A Zefal HPx will do considerable damage in the hands of a
: cornered roadie. I have never had to unlimber mine in anger--only for
: punctures.

try a u-bolt -- way better than a zefal and less likely to break on impact.
if you stuff it down the back of your pants (requires belt) there's even
easy access.

most pick-up truck mirrors are on handy springs .. and will just bounce back
from cyclist contact (i know this from personal experience). i also know
from experience that hitting a mirror from the front (ie, the car is passing
you) doesn't hurt all that much and can definitely rip the mirror right off.
from the rear i imagine would hurt a lot more but mirrors seem designed to
rip off fairly easily.

i've sure heard a lot more stories about mirrors being ripped when the cars
hit (aka buzzed) a cyclist than the other way around, tho.
--
david reuteler

Old February 23rd 04, 05:26 AM
Dan Brussee

Sheesh. If I had to put up with the kind of verbal abuse this lady is
getting, I'd tend to be a bit miffed at the next biker that came by
too. Let's try to actually live up to the reputation we are trying to
present, eh? Even if she has made accusations based on the actions of
one or two people, assuming it was actually done the way she says,
damaging another person's property is not an action that can
reasonably justify. Agreed? (I just realized that if you answer "no"
to that, my words are useless sigh)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:58:05 -0900,
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

On 23 Feb 2004 03:16:50 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc,
(Goodwinds) wrote:

We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide enough to
accommadate you?

because the path doesn't go where cyclists need to go. because
it's legal to ride a bike on the road. it's the law. get used
to it.

Today I had my fill. On a long narrow barely two lane road to a local beach,
several macho bikers were holding up a long line of traffic so they could prove
their manliness.

that had nothing to do with it. they probably took the lane on a
road with blind curves, BECAUSE THE LUNKHEADS IN CARS BEHIND THEM
CAN'T SEE YOU COMING AROUND THE CORNER, and it was unsafe to
pass. it's perfectly legal to do so, and it's good riding
practice. it's also good riding practice to wave the traffic
behind past once the way ahead is clear.

We all have to share the roads but I pay my highway taxes and
you guys don't pay a damn thing!

Cyclists pay taxes like everyone else, and most own cars. We pay
a lot more than you do.

After seeing the rudness and crudness of the
display of macho egos and selfish attitudes you all have lost my respect!!!

oh, we never had it anyway.

Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care.

you'll really love the bill when my attorney and the cops are
done with you.

bikes belong on the road. it's the law. get used to it.
================================================= ============
When the going gets tough, the tough get on a bicycle!
http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/gal...es/4630.0.html
Dennis P. Harris
http://www.ejuneau.net

Old February 23rd 04, 05:26 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:17:26 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

Overreacting, or putting to paper (electrons) the same feelings that a *lot*
of non cyclists have?

Point taken, P.

But we're a minor annoyance in a big world. Your average delay that
might be attributed to a cyclist might be measured in seconds.
Motorists: is my *life* worth the two seconds you save by cutting me
off without signalling? Is the minute you shave off your trip worth
killing for?

Anyway the feelings arise out of the general sense that a bicycle is a
toy that is outgrown--and that children on toys have no right to be
interfering with 'serious' business, like driving. Never mind that a
sports car is also a toy (and a more lethal one, at that)....

-Luigi

Old February 23rd 04, 05:29 AM
Badger_South

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:10:48 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

It could be totally
disarming as she becomes aware that we're not all a bunch of
testosterone-crazed ego-centric self-absorbed spandex-clad psychos.

I mean, we're not *all* those things, are we? :)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

It's my goal, but I'm not there yet...

I've got my eye on a pretty cool one-piece track suit

http://www.boure.com/3100.html

Self-absorbed - Check

Testosterone - Just had it checked, I'm high-normal, but planning on a
cycle of 1-AD, and some OXO in the spring.

Crazed - well, duh. ;-)

Psycho - I had nothing to do with Janet Leigh, wasn't even there...

-B

Old February 23rd 04, 05:36 AM
David Reuteler

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
: But rarely do people "trolling" post with a legit address, as this person
: did. She's been using that same address, and appears to be associated with
: a kite-flying business, for many, many years.

true. but at the very least it's an uncontrolled vent. it's pretty damn
rude. i mean she's doing the equivalent of me strolling over to rec.kites
and complaining about ..

i've having real difficulty coming up with an example of bad things people
flying kits might do. but real bad things with kites, tho.

and saying that if a kite flyer (or kite business owner) gets in my way i
won't lift a finger to not maim them.

: I honestly there's a chance this person may simply be over-reacting to a few
: coincidental situations she encountered. I'd treat her (for the moment) as
: neither a troll nor someone deserving (yet) of being flamed. Best to
: attempt reason at first and see where it gets here. It could be totally
: disarming as she becomes aware that we're not all a bunch of
: testosterone-crazed ego-centric self-absorbed spandex-clad psychos.

yea, overreacting indeed. and probably we should listen to her if there is
a second post .. but she's already done something worthy of being flamed.
--
david reuteler

Old February 23rd 04, 05:42 AM
David Reuteler

cheg wrote:
:
: We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in
: Seattle so
: why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide
: enough to
: accommadate you?
:
: If the "bicycle path" you are talking about is the Burke Gilman
: trail, the nearest point is over 3 miles away, near the Fremont
: bridge. Maybe they weren't going that way. We have a freeway built
: just for cars here in Seattle, why weren't you on it?
:
: State law gives bicycles the right to use public roads. Surprise,
: your convenience is not more important than theirs.

what i get a kick out of is the implicit belief in the statement ("travel
on roads that are not wide enough to accomodate you.") hmmmm, obviously
if they're wide enuf for a car they're wide enuf for a cyclist. but
me thinks that's not what she meant.
--
david reuteler