Is it the Rider, or the Bike?

Old October 30th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Default Is it the Rider, or the Bike?

A zen puzzle to be sure. On Id-MTBR, there's a debate or discussion
going on, between a good rider we'll call Daryl, because that's what
his mother calls him, and some other pretty good riders from around my
corner of the world.

Here's some background: Daryl has a tricked out Turner 5-Spot, that
for some reason, isn't enough bike for him, and he wants to get a new
Transition, probably a Dirt Bag. Now I've ridden with Daryl,and he can
do some amazing things on his 5-spot, and for scary terrain, he can
outride me pretty easily, but something's got an itch up his saddle to
get another bike. He rolls into new, high-end bikes every year or so,
maybe in search of the Holy Grail of bikes, I don't know.

Ian is one of the original So Carolina Hucksters, and a terrific
technical freerider. Bombin4x is my main squeeze riding buddy who can
pretty much clean anything. Most of the others in the discussion are
competent high-end riders from local bike shops or the race circuits.

So to set the stage, there you are....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=240553

CDB
proving once again, it's the rider, not the bike?
or the bike, not the rider?

Old October 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marty

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The rider or the bike...................

If I fall it's the freakin' bike. If I clean something... it's all me baby.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My wife once asked me why I needed a new bike. I told her that I didn't NEED
and new bike. I simply wanted it. She sometimes forgets that I'm really not
that complicated. She doesn't ask me that anymore.

Marty

Old October 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

For me... Bike.

I have an easier time on the X-5 than the Racer-X. Could be
psychological, but I just seem to have less fear on the X-5.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 30th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
For me... Bike.

I have an easier time on the X-5 than the Racer-X. Could be
psychological, but I just seem to have less fear on the X-5.

As long as the bike isn't going to disintegrate on you it's the rider. No
questions. Witness some of Pete F's Sedona videos.

Greg

Old October 30th 06, 10:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
J.D. Baldwin

In the previous article, Marty wrote:
My wife once asked me why I needed a new bike. I told her that I
didn't NEED and new bike. I simply wanted it. She sometimes forgets
that I'm really not that complicated. She doesn't ask me that
anymore.

Should the subject come up again, you're welcome to try my answer:
"Because it's cheaper than therapy."
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
Old October 30th 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

G.T. wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

For me... Bike.

I have an easier time on the X-5 than the Racer-X. Could be
psychological, but I just seem to have less fear on the X-5.

As long as the bike isn't going to disintegrate on you it's the rider. No
questions. Witness some of Pete F's Sedona videos.

Greg

I do better on the trails with my 1x1 than on my JC Higgins cruiser.
The coaster brake on the cruiser makes the tight switchbacks tough
sometimes, but I just love the looks on people's faces when I clunk by
them on that thing.

Matt
Old October 31st 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

Paladin wrote:
A zen puzzle to be sure. On Id-MTBR, there's a debate or discussion
going on, between a good rider we'll call Daryl, because that's what
his mother calls him, and some other pretty good riders from around my
corner of the world.

It's not the bike.
It's not the rider.
It's the ride.

Shawn
Old October 31st 06, 11:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

"MattB" wrote in message
G.T. wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

For me... Bike.

I have an easier time on the X-5 than the Racer-X. Could be
psychological, but I just seem to have less fear on the X-5.

As long as the bike isn't going to disintegrate on you it's the rider.

No
questions. Witness some of Pete F's Sedona videos.

I do better on the trails with my 1x1 than on my JC Higgins cruiser.
The coaster brake on the cruiser makes the tight switchbacks tough
sometimes, but I just love the looks on people's faces when I clunk by
them on that thing.

I still manage to beat a lot of people in A-grade on my rigid fixie but I
don't think any bike would help me beat the guys who always beat me.

Old October 31st 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Shawn wrote:
Paladin wrote:

A zen puzzle to be sure. On Id-MTBR, there's a debate or discussion
going on, between a good rider we'll call Daryl, because that's what
his mother calls him, and some other pretty good riders from around my
corner of the world.

It's not the bike.
It's not the rider.
It's the ride.

Shawn

Whoa dude. That's deep.

Matt
Old October 31st 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
LIBERATOR

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
For me... Bike.

I have an easier time on the X-5 than the Racer-X. Could be
psychological, but I just seem to have less fear on the X-5.

You're whole pscyhe is a mess, you're a victim of your own
hallucinations and phantoms.

You gay penguin.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o