Brakes

Old September 7th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Brakes

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 4:15:29 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 08:18:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/4/2018 10:55 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 18:52:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 6:29:32 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
I was at my local bike shop the other day and saw a Trek bike with
what appeared to be center pull brakes. The looked similar to the old
Campi Delta brakes.

Anyone know what they were?

Direct mount brakes? https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...mount/p/21835/

These came OE on my Emonda. They work well and are a spin on a dual pivot design and not the parallelogram Delta design. I'm not excited about the grub-screw cable attachment. It doesn't loosen, but it is inconveniently located. Otherwise, a fine brake.

-- Jay Beattie.

No, that wasn't what I saw. These brakes had a smooth body with a
single cable entering at the top and the arms were faired into the
body when the brake was off. The inner working of the brakes and the
cable attaching bits were hidden from sight. As I said, very
reminiscent of the Delta brake with its smooth body, although a
different shape.

this one?
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...ries-14-47667/

Trendy: "not your mother's centerpull"

Thanks to all that replied. I came across a youtube by accident that
showed the brake that I saw.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWeROZNvcM
about 1.18 into the video.

One of the REALLY odd things is that the Trek Emonda SL9 (??) supposedly only weighs 10 lbs. That must be the XXS frameset but the XL couldn't be more than a lb more.

My Basso Loto with flat kit and full water bottle weighs 24 lbs. My Time VX Elite in the same condition 22 lbs and my latest - the Colnago CLX 3.0 is 20 lbs ready to go. Now without the kit and water bottle it comes in at about 17 lbs and the UCI weight limit presently is 15.6 lbs. So I assume that the Colnago top of the line C64 is pushing that limit to the point where they have to put come ballast on the bike.
Old September 7th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

These, perhaps?

https://www.trpcycling.com/product/t860861/

TRP direct mount brakes with extra aerospiffy bits,
no personal experience.

That is almost an exact copy of the Campy Delta brake. But as I recall the Record Delta worked good but the Chorus did not. And they both suffered from barely opening wide enough for a 22 mm tubular.

The two models were record and Croce d'Aune back then.
Chorus debuted for 1987 with monoplanar sidepulls.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 7th 18, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:15:29 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
Snipped
Thanks to all that replied. I came across a youtube by accident that
showed the brake that I saw.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWeROZNvcM
about 1.18 into the video.

I wonder if road grit getting into those will affect the performance? Or are they tightly sealed?

Cheers