Dish Network Pulls Outdoor Life Network

Old October 21st 05, 08:33 PM
Neil Brooks

Default Dish Network Pulls Outdoor Life Network

Well this sucks.
----
DENVER - The owner of The Dish Network said Thursday it pulled the
Outdoor Life Network from its system after the cable channel failed to
provide NHL games to the nation's second-largest satellite television
provider.

EchoStar Communications Corp. spokesman Marc Lumpkin said the network
did not show games on Oct. 10-11 and on Monday and Tuesday as
advertised. "We were not given advance notice that they would not show
the programming," he said.

Although best known for broadcasting the Tour de France and cyclist
Lance Armstrong, OLN this fall took over broadcasting National Hockey
League games on cable from ESPN, a unit of The Walt Disney Co.

"We are surprised and disappointed that Dish has unilaterally chosen
to stop providing OLN to its customers, and denied fans the
opportunity to watch sports coverage on OLN," spokeswoman Amy Phillips
said.

The contract dispute between EchoStar and OLN revolves around OLN's
placement in a higher-priced channel package by Dish Network, which is
distributed to fewer viewers.

OLN, owned by cable giant Comcast Corp., set a requirement that the
channel must be seen by 40 percent of a cable or satellite TV system's
viewers in order for it to broadcast the NHL games. It said the Dish
Network has failed to meet that requirement.

Lumpkin declined to comment on the specifics of the dispute.

EchoStar would have to move the channel from its top package to a
lower-cost package that may have fewer channels but more viewers. That
would raise the fees Dish Network viewers pay.

"We work hard to provide choice for customers and to keep prices low,"
Eric Sahl, an EchoStar senior vice president, said in a statement.
"Most of our customers have made the decision they do not want to pay
the additional cost of watching the channel."

EchoStar hasn't been afraid to take on networks before. In March 2004,
it pulled Viacom Inc. programming — including MTV, the Comedy Channel
and Nickelodeon — from the Dish Network for two days until an
agreement was struck on a long-term contract.

Based in suburban Englewood, EchoStar's Dish Network has about 11.4
million customers
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old October 22nd 05, 02:46 AM

Can we find some company in the US that carries Eurosport? I mean there has
to be more cycling fans that are wanting to watch races other than the Tour
de France, and an hour here and there of the other major tours and races.

Old October 22nd 05, 03:16 AM

If they show NHL games, would that not be the INDOOR Life Network?

This is dumber than the stupid ****ing contest between Cablevision and
the New York Yankees a few years ago.

Old October 22nd 05, 03:33 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:46:33 GMT, wrote:

Can we find some company in the US that carries Eurosport?

Are you actually going to do something other than just talk in
cyberspace?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 22nd 05, 03:57 AM
Fred Marx

according to cyclingnews.com something called WCTV is going to carry UCI
events next year. First question, who the **^%$ are they? Second where
the (*&^ are they?... OLN bah who cares?
Old October 22nd 05, 10:15 AM
Jason Spaceman

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:57:43 -0600, Fred Marx
wrote:

according to cyclingnews.com something called WCTV is going to carry UCI
events next year. First question, who the **^%$ are they? Second where
the (*&^ are they?... OLN bah who cares?

I think you mean WCSN --
http://www.wcsn.com/releases/release...ontent_id=0001

J. Spaceman

Old October 22nd 05, 08:03 PM

Yes, I am. I contacted Dish about it, and got the same line they gave in
their website. They told me that OLN wants too many subscribers, yada yada.
They went on about how I could watch hockey. I had specifically mentioned
Eurosport and cycling, and they give me hockey. If I want hockey, I'll move
somewhere cold. I then checked the Eurosport website and found nothing about
coverage in the US. I may check into the WCSN info posted later in this
forum.

If you have anything constructive to say, I'm certainly open to ideas.

Old October 23rd 05, 03:54 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:03:22 GMT, wrote:

Yes, I am. I contacted Dish about it, and got the same line they gave in
their website. They told me that OLN wants too many subscribers, yada yada.
They went on about how I could watch hockey. I had specifically mentioned
Eurosport and cycling, and they give me hockey. If I want hockey, I'll move
somewhere cold. I then checked the Eurosport website and found nothing about
coverage in the US. I may check into the WCSN info posted later in this
forum.

If you have anything constructive to say, I'm certainly open to ideas.

You could provide contact info for people who care to follow your
example.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 23rd 05, 08:09 AM

Fred Marx wrote:

according to cyclingnews.com something called WCTV is going to carry UCI
events next year. First question, who the **^%$ are they? Second where
the (*&^ are they?... OLN bah who cares?

I think In the US cycling is very much a fringe/minority sport but as a
recreational pastime it still has a large number of participants. Most
of whom are totally ignorant to the whole world of cycle sport. The
more people who watch cycleracing on whichever channel the more we will
get as market forces will dictate what sport the broadcasters push out
'cause the viewing figures will bring in advertisers ultimatly. So tell
your clubmates to find and watch cycling wherever it is.

Don't know who WCTV are but don't forget that http://cycling.tv have
had several Pro Tour races this year and I think, plan to have many
more next year. I just found Zuri Metzgate on there yesterday, I posted
else where on the newsgroup to that effect.

Old October 23rd 05, 06:01 PM

If you're a susbcriber, go to http://www.dishnetwork.com/

and log in. Then hit the "contact us" section and send them an e-mail. If
you're not a subscriber, good luck geting through to them and being taken
seriously.

For Eurosport, go to
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/

for the English version.

The whole idea is to be able to watch the races on TV, even if they are
taped by me a watched later in the day. I don't have the option of sitting
and watching on the computer during work. That's why I'd like to see
Eurosport get picked up by someone in the States, who would then provide
that service to my area (Central Texas). It's always nice to be able to
watch the races with my wife, often during dinner, which is our primary time
together.