RR: Fit Fiddles

Old July 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jimbo(san)

Default RR: Fit Fiddles

The day started off with a wasp sting as I was locking the door to the
house. We had a smallish nest under the door and I guess they were
making it known we were not welcome. I did the requisite hopping and
yelping until the pain subsided.
We finally got off to our first ride together in quite a while. Carla
told me in no uncertain terms that she was not expecting much and that
her legs and lungs would betray at the first decent hill. We haven't
had
loads of time for riding but both of us have been keeping very active
playing soccer, tennis, running, walking the dog and the occasional
kayak trip. I was lucky to have a half day the previous Friday and told
Carla that I felt like I was very strong on the bike. When we got to
the
trail head it was empty, but for a couple who looked like beginners and
a racer head guy in camo shorts. We readied ourselves and took off. We
were on a very familiar trail that we usually ride on single speeds but
we decided at this stage to keep with the geared pigs. After the first
decent hill Carla admitted to feeling very fit and we were both smiling
widely. We hit what hills were there like they were flat and kept a
good
pace. We were having a conversation about who was the skiddiot riding
before us... Every few feet or at every corner there were skid marks.
Carla was mid-sentence when she hit a root and had what I would
describe
as a "lucky you are skilled" fall. She was able to slow her fall down
enough that she could turn her head to the side as her head crashed
into
a tree. Instead of a nasty face wound she clipped her ear and gave
herself a good scrape on her face. Carla did the requisite hopping and
yelping until her pain subsided enough and off we rolled. All in all a
nice ride even with bee stings and crashing.

Jimbo(san)

Old July 25th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

Default Fit Fiddles

Jimbo(san) wrote:
[...]

Nice. (Between a trail crash and a bee/wasp sting, I'll take the face full
of dirt any day!)

Old July 25th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Bill Sornson wrote:
Jimbo(san) wrote:

[...]

Nice RR.

I once got stung by a bee at the beginning of a ride. Later at my
turnaround with a great view of Century City which I was paying too much
attention to rather than the hardpacked double-track I was on I
clipped a rock and went down on my right leg. I slid for 20 feet on my
right thigh and ended up with the biggest, ugliest bruise I have ever
had but at least I had forgotten about the bee sting.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old July 26th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Nice. (Between a trail crash and a bee/wasp sting, I'll take the face

full
of dirt any day!)

In the first few kms of my first ever point to point XC race I had a
bee/wasp fly up my shorts and sting me on the inner thigh.
I stayed on the bike but kinda danced around a bit until I figured out what
had happened.

Old July 26th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Duncan wrote:
"Bill Sornson" wrote in message

Nice. (Between a trail crash and a bee/wasp sting, I'll take the face

full

of dirt any day!)

In the first few kms of my first ever point to point XC race I had a
bee/wasp fly up my shorts and sting me on the inner thigh.
I stayed on the bike but kinda danced around a bit until I figured out what
had happened.

I've also had one get my inner thigh. He rolled back and forth a couple
of times between my seat and leg and stung me 4 or 5 times before I got
him out of there. It was bad, but not as bad as it might have been.

Nice report Jimbo, glad you guys are feeling strong. That's such a great
feeling isn't it? Carla, too bad about the tree collision. Glad it
wasn't worse!

Matt
Old July 26th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"MattB" wrote in message
Duncan wrote:
[...]

Had on get inside my shirt and got nailed 3 times before I smashed him all
over my chest.........but I didn't crash!

Gary

Old July 26th 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

GeeDubb wrote:

"MattB" wrote in message

Duncan wrote:

[...]

When it's in my pants I'm less inclined to just smash away...
Old July 26th 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bill Sornson

MattB wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

"MattB" wrote in message

Duncan wrote:

[...]

There's never a video camera around when...