Hayes HFX9 info

Old September 13th 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

Default Hayes HFX9 info

Hi all, I bought a set of brand new in box Hayes HFX9 V8's off ebay not long
ago (yeah I know), they arrived last night and I installed em.

They feel all wrong. First off the front brake lever has heaps more travel
than my other set of V8's on my other bike, and when it finally engages, it
doesn't have as much power as the other bike.

The rears hardly engage at all and you can feel the piston in the brake
lever bottom out (is that bad for seals?)

Is this a good indication that they need re-oiling and a bleed???

I've never had empty hydraulic brakes before, only working ones so I dunno
whats going on...

Cheers Dre

Old September 13th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Michael Halliwell

Dre wrote:

Hi all, I bought a set of brand new in box Hayes HFX9 V8's off ebay not long
ago (yeah I know), they arrived last night and I installed em.

They feel all wrong. First off the front brake lever has heaps more travel
than my other set of V8's on my other bike, and when it finally engages, it
doesn't have as much power as the other bike.

The rears hardly engage at all and you can feel the piston in the brake
lever bottom out (is that bad for seals?)

Is this a good indication that they need re-oiling and a bleed???

I've never had empty hydraulic brakes before, only working ones so I dunno
whats going on...

Cheers Dre

Yeah, a good bleed and re-centering everything would do wonders.

Michael Halliwell
Old September 13th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

"Dre" wrote in message
Hi all, I bought a set of brand new in box Hayes HFX9 V8's off ebay not

long
ago (yeah I know), they arrived last night and I installed em.

They feel all wrong. First off the front brake lever has heaps more

travel
than my other set of V8's on my other bike, and when it finally engages,

it
doesn't have as much power as the other bike.

The rears hardly engage at all and you can feel the piston in the brake
lever bottom out (is that bad for seals?)

Is this a good indication that they need re-oiling and a bleed???

Sounds like they need bleeding. I just bled mine a couple of hours ago and
finaly got it right after more attempts than I'll admit to. HFX9s work
reasonably well when they're setup right but they are notoriously difficult
to get right.
I tried to get by without the bleed kit but until I managed to find/make all
the right size hoses/connectors I'd wasted a lot of time.

Old September 14th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

"Michael Halliwell" wrote in message
Dre wrote:

Hi all, I bought a set of brand new in box Hayes HFX9 V8's off ebay not
long ago (yeah I know), they arrived last night and I installed em.

They feel all wrong. First off the front brake lever has heaps more
travel than my other set of V8's on my other bike, and when it finally
engages, it doesn't have as much power as the other bike.

The rears hardly engage at all and you can feel the piston in the brake
lever bottom out (is that bad for seals?)

Is this a good indication that they need re-oiling and a bleed???

I've never had empty hydraulic brakes before, only working ones so I dunno
whats going on...

Cheers Dre

Yeah, a good bleed and re-centering everything would do wonders.

Michael Halliwell

Nice, thats what I was hoping. I've never had new hydro's that needed
bleeding from the factory so dunno how they feel

Cheers Dre

Old September 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

"Duncan" wrote in message
"Dre" wrote in message
[...]

Good stuff, just what I wanna hear. I dont have a bleed kit yet (still on
back order) so its booked in to get it done at the LBS tomorrow.

Cheers Dre