Is exercise good for you? [was: Should the revolution be PROLETARIAN or MIDDLE CLASS? (was: Some cyclists are part of the solution, some part of the problem)]

Old February 7th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Is exercise good for you? [was: Should the revolution be PROLETARIAN or MIDDLE CLASS? (was: Some cyclists are part of the solution, some part of the problem)]

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:35:26 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:59:58 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Ah! The age old excuse of the lazy, "I never use more effort then
necessary". On assumes that is the reason for the television remote.

Getting up, crossing the room, crossing back, and
sitting down again is not good exercise. Either sit and
relax, or be active. Approach exercise with extreme
caution---sneak up on it. Take fifteen or twenty
minutes to get the heart rate up; and that means doing
almost nothing for the first five except inhaling
then exhaling _fully_.

Or perhaps not. See
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/he...on/18best.html

"Perhaps" is operative here.
Nothing is conclusive in that article.

I thought that it pointed out rather well that a "warm-up" is
radically different for different folks rather then an absolute 15 -
20 minute to get the heart rate up.

No, the article was about athletic competition,
not about exercise. It was inconclusive. It did
not even assert what you assert.

--
Michael Press
Old February 8th 12, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:45:52 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:35:26 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:59:58 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

You must have read a different article as the article cites above is
titled "The right way to warm up" a count of the paragraphs discussing
warming up versus paragraphs (1 I believe) discussing competition show
that the vast majority discuss various methods of warming up.

Cheers

John B.
Old February 8th 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:45:52 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:35:26 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:59:58 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

You believe, but offer no count.

The phrase "right way to warm up" occurs only in the title.
Nowhere does the article assert any such thing.

discussing competition show
that the vast majority discuss various methods of warming up.

All in relation to competition. The word "exercise"
occurs in "exercise researcher" and in "cardiovascular exercise"
preparatory to playing golf, an athletic competition.
All paragraphs discussing warming up are in the context
of athletic competition. One paragraph additionally
speaks of warming up for workouts.

--
Michael Press
Old February 8th 12, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:39:34 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:45:52 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:35:26 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:59:58 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I see... there is no exercise involved in running a marathon or
competing in the TdF?

But regardless, the discussion was centered on your comment "Approach
exercise with extreme caution---sneak up on it. Take fifteen or twenty
minutes to get the heart rate up; and that means doing almost nothing
for the first five except inhaling then exhaling _fully_."

Weren't you talking about a "warm up"?

Cheers

John B.
Old February 8th 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:39:34 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:45:52 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:35:26 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:59:58 -0800, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Athletic competition is not exercise; it is competition.
Exercise is what I and others do to maintain health.
The purpose of athletic competition is to win; not to
maintain health. Often enough athletic competition causes
to injuries.

But regardless, the discussion was centered on your comment "Approach
exercise with extreme caution---sneak up on it. Take fifteen or twenty
minutes to get the heart rate up; and that means doing almost nothing
for the first five except inhaling then exhaling _fully_."

Weren't you talking about a "warm up"?

Yes.

--
Michael Press
Old February 8th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 09/02/12 08:47, Michael Press wrote:

Athletic competition is not exercise; it is competition.

That is absurd.

--
JS
Old February 8th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 8, 2:04*pm, James wrote:
On 09/02/12 08:47, Michael Press wrote:

Athletic competition is not exercise; it is competition.

That is absurd.

Exercise:
a : the act of bringing into play or realizing in action : use the
exercise of self-control b : the discharge of an official function or
professional occupation exercise of his judicial duties c : the act
or an instance of carrying out the terms of an agreement (as an
option) —often used attributively an option's exercise price
2a : regular or repeated use of a faculty or bodily organ b : bodily
exertion for the sake of developing and maintaining physical fitness
trying to get more exercise
3: something performed or practiced in order to develop, improve, or
display a specific capability or skill arithmetic exercises vocal
exercises
4: a performance or activity having a strongly marked secondary or
ulterior aspect party politics has always been an exercise in
compromise — H. S. Ashmore
5a : a maneuver, operation, or drill carried out for training and
discipline naval exercises

In my book, competitive exercise is still exercise. It's more
strategic than non-competitive exercise, and the warm-up is sometimes
different (since you can't get the entire peleton to go slow for the
first 15 miles, unless you are in a really negative race). But saying
that bike racing is not exercise is a little bizarre. Imagine an
orthopedist advising a knee patient to avoid exercise, and the patient
responding, "oh, it's O.K., I'm just going to do a 100 mile road
race . . . no exercise."

I wonder if my non-competitive commute every day is exercise. I get
zero warm up going home, except walking from the elevator to the bike
rack -- then I'm on my bike and riding up a steep ramp to get out of
my building and climbing most of the way home. Maybe I should stand
around the rack and breath for ten minutes, do some stretches, sneak
up on my commute home -- but then again, my shortest route is only
five miles, and I could be home by the time I completed my warm up.
Plus I would look like a dork standing around the rack breathing --
the parking attendant might call security.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 8th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 09/02/12 09:49, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

You've pondered this way too much, Jay. ;-)

I don't know what planet Michael is on at the moment. Perhaps he's
visiting Trevor.

--
JS.
Old February 9th 12, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:49:34 -0800 (PST), Jay Beattie
wrote:

On Feb 8, 2:04*pm, James wrote:
[...]

Back in my running days I used to do no formal warm-up at all, just go
out the door and run. However I discovered that trying to run at race
pace from the first step so I used to start out at a jog and after a
little bit speed up. Today on the bike I do essentially the same
thing. Out of the house and straight up the big hill, then relax and
roll down the other side and slow through the villag4eand out onto the
main road.

An informal warm-up I suppose.

Cheers

John B.