folding bikes

Old May 24th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default folding bikes

Anyone have any personal experience withg folding bikes? I'm looking
for feedback for a commuting bike. Advantages of some major brands
over others, features to avoid/look for, etc.

Old May 24th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Well, I'm looking for something to commute with, e.g. to drag on and
off trains and buses. So I think I'm looking at a goofy small wheeled
bike. I have seen the Breakaways and they are quite nice.

Old May 24th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:

If purely for commuting, it's pretty hard to beat the Brompton.

Are the Bromptons made well?
Old May 24th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tim McNamara wrote:

Not useful as a commuting bike, though, if you need something that will
fold up in 30 seconds to get on or off trains, buses or for storage at
work.

Agree

A true folding bike for commuting purposes should fold
FAST and CLEAN. Quick and easy to fold when entering
train or putting hike in back of car trunk.

I once owned a Bike Friday and altho it folded for
transporting it was NOT what I consider to be a
commuting folder. Agree?
Old May 24th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:

If purely for commuting, it's pretty hard to beat the Brompton.

Are the Bromptons made well?

Bromptons are superbly well engineered. All the details work together
to give a compact folded package with all the messy bits folded away,
no loose chain, seat posts etc sticking out.

Less than 15 seconds to fold/unfold to a compact package is the main
selling point.

Also ride really well, you can almost forget you are riding a folder.
Ideal as a commuter, though can be ridden longer distances without
problems - I have one adapted to 12 speed with drop handlebars that has
been on holiday to the alps with me (fits into a 24"x24" suitcase for
easy air travel).

They are harder work to pedal than a "proper" bike (heavier, less aero,
more drivetrain resistance), but if you need quick, compact folding,
then you can't beat it.

Andrew Webster