Looking for novelty helmet

Old August 30th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Uncle Vic

Default Looking for novelty helmet

One fine day in rec.motorcycles, Twibil wrote:

On Aug 29, 2:57*pm, BryanUT wrote:

Got anymore ideas?

"OBAMA/McCAIN IN 2008" sticker.

Might as well **** off everybody.

I cruised around town with a "Bush/Jesus - Apocalypse Now" bumper sticker
on the back of my tailbag one day about four years ago. No takers. Then
again, this is a blue state.

--
Uncle Vic
04 Kawasaki Nomad 1500

Old August 30th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Vito

Uncle Vic" wrote
http://www.thehelmetmohawk.com/

I'd get one if I still had a jap bike g

Old August 30th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Paul Ciszek wrote:
Does anyone manufacture novelty helmets that actually protect the head?

An acquaintance has had a mishap (on a bicycle), the details of which
he can't quite remember. :-( He is now willing to start wearing a
helmet. But he would like, if possible, to get one that looks like
the old Kaiser Wilhelm era german military helmets, with the spike on top.
I suppose a phony plastic spike could be glued on to a helmet of the
right shape. Does anyone sell helmets that look like this?

Regular Bicycle Foam Hats, er helmets, really only function for bump and
scrape protection. Whole population studies have shown no statistically
significant reduction in serious head injuries and death with bicycle
foam hat use.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 30th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Andrew998

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Paul Ciszek wrote:
Does anyone manufacture novelty helmets that actually protect the head?

An acquaintance has had a mishap (on a bicycle), the details of which
he can't quite remember. :-( He is now willing to start wearing a
helmet. But he would like, if possible, to get one that looks like
the old Kaiser Wilhelm era german military helmets, with the spike on
top.
I suppose a phony plastic spike could be glued on to a helmet of the
right shape. Does anyone sell helmets that look like this?

Regular Bicycle Foam Hats, er helmets, really only function for bump and
scrape protection. Whole population studies have shown no statistically
significant reduction in serious head injuries and death with bicycle foam
hat use.

And yet this study suggests otherwise:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pdf/pgr/roadsa...ewofeffect4726

--
Andrew998

Old August 30th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Paul Ciszek) writes:
Does anyone manufacture novelty helmets that actually protect the head?

No.

An acquaintance has had a mishap (on a bicycle), the details of which
he can't quite remember. :-(

So, you ... I mean, your "acquaintance" ... head-on'd into
a car's windshield, eh?

He is now willing to start wearing a
helmet. But he would like, if possible, to get one that looks like
the old Kaiser Wilhelm era german military helmets, with the spike on top.

That would be silly.

If ya wanna wear a helmet, just buy one and use the damn'd thing
without worrying about how tame & lame you think you'd
appear to other people. Fer cryin' out loud, yer on a
/bicycle/ already! That sez "meek & mild" from the get-go,
if that's your mindset.

I suppose a phony plastic spike could be glued on to a helmet of the
right shape. Does anyone sell helmets that look like this?

I hope not. But if such buckets existed, I'd go for one
with devilish goat horns on it, and festoon the horns with
oakleaf & mistletoe clusters.

If you really wanna look ballsy while riding your bike,
do it while wearing full Scot's regalia. But stay outa
car's windshields. We don't wanna see the aftermath of
the forward thrust of yer kilt. At least, don't let
your skeindo flop out. That would be most embarrassing.

Oy, the way some people worry about appearances!

If ya wanna wear a helmet, just buy one and use the damn'd thing!

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 30th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
.[_4_]

On Aug 30, 5:42�am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

If you really wanna look ballsy while riding your bike,
do it while wearing full Scot's regalia. �But stay outa
car's windshields. �We don't wanna see the aftermath of
the forward thrust of yer kilt. �At least, don't let
your skeindo flop out. �That would be most embarrassing.

Eh? Anyone with eyes in his head can see my sgian dubh in the top of
my right stocking.
Old August 30th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Andrew998 wrote:

And yet this study suggests otherwise:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pdf/pgr/roadsa...ewofeffect4726

Would a motorcycle helmet be safe for bicycle use? It seems to me
that something that helps protect your noggin in a 60MPH crash should
also help protect it in a 30MPH crash.

There do appear to be DOT approved German-ish black gloss motorcycle
helmets. I figure a flimsy plastic spike spraypainted gold should be
doable.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the
Old August 30th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Paul Ciszek wrote:
In article ,
Andrew998 wrote:
And yet this study suggests otherwise:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pdf/pgr/roadsa...ewofeffect4726

Would a motorcycle helmet be safe for bicycle use? It seems to me
that something that helps protect your noggin in a 60MPH crash should
also help protect it in a 30MPH crash....

Yeah, but you would die of heat stroke wearing a full-face motorcycle
helmet on a hot day while riding a bicycle hard. A moderately strong
cyclist will have to dissipate 700 to 1000 watts of waste heat, and a
motorcycle helmet is a good insulator [1].

[1] A cold snap during college spring break left me with a 4-hour ride
back to school in 20-30°F weather. While I had to stop to warm my hands
and feet several times, and was shivering afterwards for about 5 hours,
my head or face never felt cold at 65-70 mph.

Old August 30th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Bob Myers

"." wrote in message
On Aug 29, 12:16?pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:

Something even better:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16678.html

Oh, yessss. Every ssssimpering ssssissy sssshould have helmet
earsssss...

Nasty lisp you've got there; puts me in mind of Gollum
more than anything else.

But I figured anyone who wanted a fake German helmet
spike would just luvvvvvvvv the ears...

Bob M.

Old August 30th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Bob Myers

"Uncle Vic" wrote in message
One fine day in rec.motorcycles, Twibil wrote:

On Aug 29, 2:57 pm, BryanUT wrote:

Got anymore ideas?

"OBAMA/McCAIN IN 2008" sticker.

Might as well **** off everybody.

I cruised around town with a "Bush/Jesus - Apocalypse Now" bumper sticker
on the back of my tailbag one day about four years ago. No takers. Then
again, this is a blue state.

My own favorite is "Cthulhu 2008 - when you're tired
of choosing the LESSER of two evils."

Bob M.

Novelty Uni iridemymuni Unicycling 39 June 29th 06 06:26 AM
Novelty Uni TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 0 June 16th 06 10:34 AM
novelty led lighting xyz UK 4 February 19th 06 10:52 PM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 03:44 PM
"Segway still a novelty " M. Barbee General 5 August 31st 03 10:17 AM