Folding Bikes

Old July 12th 10, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P

Default Folding Bikes

Thinking of cycling to the station - 5 mins or so on a bike, getting the
train to work, then cycling another 15 mins to work then doing the return
journey in the evening.

Now, it's only a really short journey, I'm looking at buying something s/h
that won't break the bank. I don't want to shell out on a Brompton or a
Birdy yet . I want to get used to the idea of doing it for a few months or
so first.

Are there any particular models/makes I should look out for? I was thinking
something like ebay item 180530322915 might be good to start with..

--
Mike P

Old July 12th 10, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

On 07/12/2010 09:32 PM, Mike P wrote:
Thinking of cycling to the station - 5 mins or so on a bike, getting the
train to work, then cycling another 15 mins to work then doing the
return journey in the evening.

Now, it's only a really short journey, I'm looking at buying something
s/h that won't break the bank. I don't want to shell out on a Brompton
or a Birdy yet . I want to get used to the idea of doing it for a few
months or so first.

Are there any particular models/makes I should look out for? I was
thinking something like ebay item 180530322915 might be good to start
with..

Depends on how much would break the bank I suppose.

I was lucky to find a Dahon D7 s/h for about £200.

I read recently, on the atob website about an inexpensive folder from
Compass Marine

http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog...cycles/4852564

AtoB say it's a rebadged Dahon, but they also say it's £70 so I'm not
100% sure, but it looks pretty good for a short journey.

http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers%27_Guide.html#h5

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old July 12th 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Jim A wrote:

On 07/12/2010 09:32 PM, Mike P wrote:

Now, it's only a really short journey, I'm looking at buying something
s/h that won't break the bank.

Depends on how much would break the bank I suppose.

I was lucky to find a Dahon D7 s/h for about ?200.

In good nick? I'd really like a Dahon. A 26-inch, ideally.

I read recently, on the atob website about an inexpensive folder from Compass
Marine

http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog...cycles/4852564

AtoB say it's a rebadged Dahon, but they also say it's ?70

!!!

so I'm not 100% sure, but it looks pretty good for a short journey.

I noticed the other day Decathlon are selling a folder for 250 quid:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/hoptow...en-118879840/#

http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers%27_Guide.html#h5

I despair for my wallet.

tom

--
Mass motoring effects an absolute triumph of bourgeois ideology on the
level of daily life. It gives and supports in everyone the illusion that

Old July 13th 10, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

On 07/12/2010 10:37 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Jim A wrote:
I was lucky to find a Dahon D7 s/h for about ?200.

In good nick?

Not entirely. It was a little grubby and the paintwork nicked in places.
The seatpost seized soon after I got it (probably my fault for being a
bit rough with it) so I replaced the shim and seatpost. I've also
replaced one of the brake cables which was corroded. I think that's
about it!

I'd really like a Dahon. A 26-inch, ideally.

Would be nice!

I noticed the other day Decathlon are selling a folder for 250 quid:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/hoptow...en-118879840/#

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's a badged Dahon too.

I despair for my wallet.

It's not just the bikes, it's all the essential accessories too!

Thankfully I found a rack for my Dahon in a sale so didn't have to pay
full price for that either. I'm constantly fighting the urge to buy a
new saddle for it (currently it has the old big Brooks saddle from the
Pashley on it which looks a bit weird but does the job).

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Folding Bikes Geoff Lane[_2_] UK 1 May 19th 08 10:28 PM
Folding/removable SPD-compatible pedals for folding bikes? Alan Hoyle General 1 April 25th 07 03:22 PM
Folding bikes elyob UK 7 August 7th 05 04:58 PM
Folding bikes Tom Spence General 5 March 25th 05 08:34 PM
Folding Bikes grobbins(remove to reply) Australia 2 April 7th 04 12:48 PM