Folding Bikes

Old November 21st 13, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

Default Folding Bikes

I should have said:
.... If the boat is 35 feet long (twelve meters),
it surely has room for a bicycle.

A SIX-meter Bantam has on each side, a space 2.5 meters long, 2.5
meters high, and about 300 centimeters wide. And LOTS of space on top.
See drawings at the bottom of http://tinyurl.com/kulbl6n

This bike is less than a meter high, less than two meters long:
http://tinyurl.com/ku6t6av

If you had things sticking out either side of the top of the Bantam, you
could hang four bikes, though it might be hard to lift them that high.
But the solution to that is something like
http://tinyurl.com/n77neag

The handlebars would actually stick out over the side of the boat a tiny
bit. But they'd be almost over the head of the world's tallest man.
You would need something to pull the bottoms of the wheels up tight
against the side of the boat to prevent banging. That would leave
almost all of the walkway clear.

I've seen bike mounts for the TOPS of cars that could just as easily go
on the top of a boat.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable.
Liberals need to learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “good."
Conservatives should learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “bad.”

Old November 21st 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:20:30 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A good friend who lives on a 35 ft. catamaran is asking about a new

bicycle. He currently has a mountain bike of some sort and is lusting

after a folding bike and asked me what was best.

IMO, very difficult to ever know what the best bike is for someone else. Even difficult to know whats best for me, myself.

I have 3 folders now, and got rid of 3 others, over the years. Mostly riding a Dahon Speed-7, after swapping out the saddle for a WTB, and swapping out the narrow tires for wider Schwalbes, and adding plastic fenders. I like the way it rides, and love the way it folds. Squirt dry lube http://tinyurl.com/lfzvu98 works well, and is useful for taking the folder on public transportation. If your friend is handy w bikes, he could pick up one on CL and set it up to match his preferences. For nautical application, it's worthwhile to check out the stainless Dahon Mariner (frequently on CL) and the aluminum Dahon Mu.
Best, L
Old November 21st 13, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:33:04 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:13:40 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
... I don't believe that he is that

enthusiastic about bicycles. Cruisers are generally "boat nuts" rather
than "bike nuts" so the bicycle is very much an accessory, rather than
a necessity for life, as is evidenced here :-)

That's perceptive, but for one error. It's not "a" bicycle that's a necessity for life. It's a fleet of the things! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

I think that is a politically incorrect thing to say. You are showing
gross prejudice against all those who only have one bicycle.

I shall start a new advocacy group to defend the poor, downtrodden,
single bike owner from this injustice.

( Donations to fight this evil practice are welcomed )

:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 21st 13, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:02:44 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-20-2013, 08:20, John B. wrote:
I have heard that some makes have a weakness in the steering but
nothing beyond that.

I can't imagine why the folding feature on any I've ever seen in person
or in picture would have any effect on steering.

If I remember correctly it was the extended steer tube that failed and
it was a warning published by the makers suggesting that users inspect
the steer tube before use and that as soon as they could determine the
causes and frequency of breakage they would post additional
information.

But I don't remember where I read it :-(

The one I owned was VERY heavy, but I suppose they could be made
lighter. Folding it didn't made no difference in its total volume of
course. Half the length, but more than twice the width. It did
however, allow it to fit in a car trunk (but even then, not easily).

I also owned a folding tricycle. Folding that allows it to fit into a
minivan, just barely, and only if you also remove the seat, stem, and
handlebars!

I think your friend is better off getting a GOOD bike, and moving a few
things around to clear a space for it. If the boat is big enough to
live on, it surely has room for a bicycle.

I can see that you've never lived on a boat, or rather a small boat
:-)
Generally there is no moving things around to fit. You find the only
place that it will fit and there it stays.

A tiny little Bantam has on each side, a space 2.5 meters long, 2.5
meters high, and about 300 centimeters wide. And LOTS of space on top.
See drawings at the bottom of http://tinyurl.com/kulbl6n

Ehrrr... that isn't quite what I mean by living on a boat. He has no
other home and lives on the boat. A boat that he just sailed around
the world singlehanded.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 21st 13, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:51:48 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

I should have said:
.... If the boat is 35 feet long (twelve meters),
it surely has room for a bicycle.

A SIX-meter Bantam has on each side, a space 2.5 meters long, 2.5
meters high, and about 300 centimeters wide. And LOTS of space on top.
See drawings at the bottom of http://tinyurl.com/kulbl6n

But stacking things on top gets in the way of the mast and sails :-)

This bike is less than a meter high, less than two meters long:
http://tinyurl.com/ku6t6av

If you had things sticking out either side of the top of the Bantam, you
could hang four bikes, though it might be hard to lift them that high.
But the solution to that is something like
http://tinyurl.com/n77neag

Things sticking out the sides get all wet with sea water when the wind
blows.... maybe causing the handle bars to wilt :-)

The handlebars would actually stick out over the side of the boat a tiny
bit. But they'd be almost over the head of the world's tallest man.
You would need something to pull the bottoms of the wheels up tight
against the side of the boat to prevent banging. That would leave
almost all of the walkway clear.

Not too cool as it will interfere with the jib when you go to
windward. :-)

I've seen bike mounts for the TOPS of cars that could just as easily go
on the top of a boat.

"Things on top" usually get knocked off when the boom swings over onto
the new tack. :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 21st 13, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

John, you said it's a 35-foot catamaran that someone LIVES on. Not a
six footer for a sailing enthusiast who goes to a house when he's done
playing. And you said nothing about sails, jibs, masts, booms, etc.

Your comments (except for one) are not pertinent to the images I cited
either. (no sails, single motor in the back).

The one is about spray. If you are sailing where there's spray, then of
course you have to deal with that. Lots of ways to do so.

wrote:

I should have said:
[...]

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An optimist says the glass is half full.
An engineer says somebody made the glass
twice as big as it needed to be.

Old November 21st 13, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 21:21:48 -0800 (PST), LF wrote:

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:20:30 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
A good friend who lives on a 35 ft. catamaran is asking about a new

bicycle. He currently has a mountain bike of some sort and is lusting

after a folding bike and asked me what was best.

IMO, very difficult to ever know what the best bike is for someone else. Even difficult to know whats best for me, myself.

I know. Unfortunately "what is the best...." seems to be a common
question. I once had a friend ask me what I thought he should do about
his wife, who had, as the saying goes, strayed from the Marital path.

Old November 21st 13, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 01:28:57 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

John, you said it's a 35-foot catamaran that someone LIVES on. Not a
six footer for a sailing enthusiast who goes to a house when he's done
playing. And you said nothing about sails, jibs, masts, booms, etc.

Well I did say that he had just made a circumnavigation :-)

Your comments (except for one) are not pertinent to the images I cited
either. (no sails, single motor in the back).

Sorry, I lived on a boat for about ten years so when I mention a 35
ft. cat that made a circumnavigation I visualize a sail boat, and like
many assumed that what I know, everyone knows :-)

The one is about spray. If you are sailing where there's spray, then of
course you have to deal with that. Lots of ways to do so.

Go very slow, down wind, in light winds :-)

Old November 22nd 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:25:02 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. considered Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:20:30
+0700 the perfect time to write:

A good friend who lives on a 35 ft. catamaran is asking about a new
bicycle. He currently has a mountain bike of some sort and is lusting
after a folding bike and asked me what was best.

Since I know nothing about folding bikes does anyone have any words of
wisdom that I might pass on?

I have heard that some makes have a weakness in the steering but
nothing beyond that.

As I said, he lives on a boat and if you do that you really want a
bike to ride for transportation around the marina and maybe short
trips to town. Not all day cruises.
As for storage, he has had the mountain bike for several years and
toted it around the world and a 35 ft. cat has a considerable amount
of storage (for a 35 ft. boat) so that isn't a major difficulty. I
think he takes the wheels off to stow the bike.

I reckon that if a compact and easy fold are of value, and not much
serious in the way of touring or off-road use are contemplated, a
Brompton would be very hard to beat (although some extraordinary tours
have been achieved on Brompton's it's not really their principal
design intention.
They are rather popular in the world of general aviation, for similar
reasons - arrive at airfield, pull out and unfold bike, and ride into
town. Just like arriving at a marina in a boat.
And if you get the "front pannier" and rear rack, they can carry a
pretty decent load as well, so great for things like grocery shopping.

Oh, and a good international network of dealers.

I'll pass that on to the guy.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 23rd 13, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2013-11-20, James wrote:
On 21/11/13 00:20, John B. wrote:

A good friend who lives on a 35 ft. catamaran is asking about a new
bicycle. He currently has a mountain bike of some sort and is lusting
after a folding bike and asked me what was best.

Your friend might consider buying a bicycle with a steel frame and
having S&S couplers installed.

Takes too long to set up and stow. Also, steel + sal****er don't mix
too well!

Therefore I recommend the intrepid boatman instead get a custom
titanium folding bike with all carbon fiber parts. In this way he
can be assured of getting a bike that will resist sal****er corrosion
as well as spending all possible money.

A serious answer, John B.: your friend should buy a cheap Dahon
folding bike and expect it to last only a couple years on the boat.
At that point, another cheap folding bike can be acquired.

Also get your friend a big can of WD-40 to spray down the whole bike
(but remind him that it's not chain lube).

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

Folding Bikes Mike P UK 3 July 13th 10 07:47 AM
Folding/removable SPD-compatible pedals for folding bikes? Alan Hoyle General 1 April 25th 07 03:22 PM
folding bikes [email protected] Techniques 16 May 26th 06 10:18 PM
Folding bikes Tom Spence General 5 March 25th 05 08:34 PM
Folding Bikes grobbins(remove to reply) Australia 2 April 7th 04 12:48 PM