meeting mayhem

Old February 1st 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

Default meeting mayhem

....so where has Penny been?....

Our group got a National Park Service grant (RTCA) that provides a mentor
and staff, no money, to develop a concept plan for a trails area, for the
Beacon Hill Area in Spokane. This area has 25+ miles of trail, links three
city parks, one county park, and the centennial trail with a mix of property
owners - some private, a lot of utility and parks.

The goal of the grant is to take a year or so and come up with a concept
plan that encompasses the following:
(1) create a shared vision/plan for the area with the landowners and
greater community,
(2) form legal agreements that allow recreation access,
(3) create a trail plan that includes identifying trails that will be kept
open, closed, re-routed, improved etc.
(4) develop design standards for the various types of trails developed,
(5) develop/implement a plan for additional amenities (i.e. parking, signs,
other?), and
(6) create a map that allows everyone to find/use/enjoy this trail system.

Susan, our NPS mentor, came over from Seattle yesterday and we did the land
manager meeting blitz. This is in addition to our public kick off meeting
that we did last night. This was also in addition to my presentation to the
parks land council that I thought was next week, that had more do with just
general club activities. This means yours truly attended 6 meetings in 30
hours.

1. Utility landowner - wow, what a great proposal, how can we help? Oh, we
hate motorized users on our land.
2. County parks - wow, what a great proposal, we support you
3. City parks, - wow, great proposal, this needs to happen
4. Kick off meeting. we had 10 rsvps and 85 people showed up. The plan to
hand pick an advisory committee out of attendees had to be adjusted. Local
property owners who have trails on their land say they like the idea, as
does members of neighborhood council
5. Meet with regional health district physical activity director who is one
of our partners. Ideas for where grant $$ might be found are generated as
related to trailheads and neighborhood accesses.
6. Present to park board - talk a lot about what we have done for them at no
cost.

burnout, buzz, now it's time to take a look at my notes and figures what
happens next. I will say this, our IMBA rep is an awesome speaker about
landowner/management issues. He just about got a round of applause when he
finished his piece last night, which is more than I would say about my
parts.

more info here if anyone cares. RTCA grants have been used on some of the
rivers/ridge stuff down in B-town.
http://www.fttrc.org/beacon-rtca.cfm

Old February 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"small change" wrote in message

1. Utility landowner - wow, what a great proposal, how can we help? Oh, we
hate motorized users on our land.
2. County parks - wow, what a great proposal, we support you
3. City parks, - wow, great proposal, this needs to happen

Wow, you're very lucky, especially with the utility. Some utilities are
really cool with their land, others are overly concerned with liability.

Greg

Old February 1st 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Jan 31, 6:17 pm, "small change" wrote:
[...]

Wow, way to get after it, girl. You're an inspiration to those of us
too overwhelmed at the thought of trying to navigate through all that
red tape.

CDB

Old February 1st 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

small change wrote:
[...]

Good job! The mountain bike patrol I belong to has just been granted
the first 12 of 30 miles of new trail in Buffalo Creek. We start this
spring. The USFS is being very generous here. Now we are trying to
find some money.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 1st 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"G.T." wrote in message

"small change" wrote in message

1. Utility landowner - wow, what a great proposal, how can we help? Oh,
we hate motorized users on our land.
2. County parks - wow, what a great proposal, we support you
3. City parks, - wow, great proposal, this needs to happen

Wow, you're very lucky, especially with the utility. Some utilities are
really cool with their land, others are overly concerned with liability.

Greg

I'd say the lucky ones are local area recreationalists (is that a word?) who
will benefit from hard work like this. Cudos to Penny and her crew. I also
suggest a promotion to Nickel !

Old February 1st 07, 09:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
.. .

Good job! The mountain bike patrol I belong to has just been granted the
first 12 of 30 miles of new trail in Buffalo Creek. We start this spring.
The USFS is being very generous here. Now we are trying to find some
money.

This mountain bike patrol, is it an organization like a ski patrol?

Old February 1st 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"Mamba" wrote in message
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
.. .

Good job! The mountain bike patrol I belong to has just been granted the
first 12 of 30 miles of new trail in Buffalo Creek. We start this
spring. The USFS is being very generous here. Now we are trying to find
some money.

This mountain bike patrol, is it an organization like a ski patrol?

it is an IMBA sponsored program, not NSP. Some bike patrols do use OEC as
thier course material.

Old February 1st 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

small change wrote:
"Mamba" wrote in message
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
.. .
Good job! The mountain bike patrol I belong to has just been granted the
first 12 of 30 miles of new trail in Buffalo Creek. We start this
spring. The USFS is being very generous here. Now we are trying to find
some money.

This mountain bike patrol, is it an organization like a ski patrol?

it is an IMBA sponsored program, not NSP. Some bike patrols do use OEC as
thier course material.

What she said .

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 2nd 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

small change wrote:
...so where has Penny been?....

Our group got a National Park Service grant (RTCA) that provides a mentor
and staff, no money, to develop a concept plan for a trails area, for the
Beacon Hill Area in Spokane. This area has 25+ miles of trail, links three
city parks, one county park, and the centennial trail with a mix of property
owners - some private, a lot of utility and parks.

snip cool stuff

Penny, you rock! Great job.

Matt
Old February 2nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

You're a regular dynamo, Penny. Well done.

JD