Taya Chain

Old September 2nd 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-08-30 18:00, John B. wrote:

On 2017-08-29 14:38,
On 2017-08-29 09:42, sms wrote:
On 8/28/2017 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2017 4:28 PM,
On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I had in my
garage that I must have purchased five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for 6,7,8
gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the first time I've
used a chain with a connecting link since childhood. I looked up Taya
and it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road bike which I bought
from a friend as NOS, for $6 which was the old sticker price (the
sticker had already turned brownish). No link, mounted with hammer and
anvil as usual. To my utter amazement it doesn't show any measurable
stretch after over 2000mi and sometimes I really put the coals on
because of our hills. Even the old Wippermann chains could not rival
that. I am very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out three days after the bike
was junked.

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening process was
not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to today except for possibly
Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

You can still find some NOS (new old stock) of the Sedisport 6/7 chains.
About $25.

I saw a lot of them on EBay at that price range stating "pre-owned" in
the ad, meaning used and who knows for how many miles or whether
properly maintained.

The topper I ever saw was "pre-owned" underwear. Yikes.

What if they were pre-owned by Elizabeth Taylor?

It was men's underwear ...

What makes you think that Elizabeth Taylor didn't wear men's underwear? She got pretty large near the end.

In a less humorousness vein, did you know that "back in the day"
runners used to wear women's panties?

I remember a cowboy on horseback telling us something similar and it was
a real manly John Wayne style guy. "Now I'll let you in on a secret on
how to avoid rashes from very long rides, but don't ya tell your mama or
anyone for that matter, ya hear?"

Speaking of manly - virtually every single star in Hollywood after the mid-40's had been in the service and many of them (often the guys that played bad guys) had silver stars and purple hearts. Even Soupy Sales and Ernest Borgnine. The one exception was, surprisingly, John Wayne, who volunteered three times but they wouldn't let him in because of a bad back or something.

Today we have these guys playing heros that don't even know what a hero is.
Old September 4th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

John Wayne could certainly play them right. On Sunday we saw "Flying
Tigers" for the umpteenth time.

What was one of his sayings? "Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyhow".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 5th 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

And Audie Murphy, who was I believe, the most decorated U.S. service
man in WW II was a poor actor.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 5th 17, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Whereas your favorite actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger and
Leonardo DiCaprio are simply great actors.
Old September 5th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Meh. What's he doing on this Hodaka then?
https://www.google.com/search?q=john... NJY3Oxzv6pM:
Let's see him ride a Maico 490

Old September 5th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Seems like he rode others as well:

http://www.graphicsexpress.com/shop/images/th2_MC-3.jpg

Old September 6th 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-09-02 07:56,

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

I don't have "favorite actors" I haven't watch a (what would you call
it, a Movie?) either on the screen or via Television) in probably 30
years.

In fact when I read a news article mentioning "XYZ the Star of ABC" my
first thought is "Who", and my second is, "Unimportant".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 6th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Uhm... OTOH, we have him saying to a Viet Namese 6-y/o, at the end of 'the green berets': "You're what this is all about." Yea, rite. Uh-huh.
Old September 6th 17, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

He was right. If we hadn't lost that war the 6-year olds back then would
now not have to live under communism.

Old September 6th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Why is that? In the automotive world such an advance in technology is
kept and further developed, not rescinded and chucked back into the dust
bin. Well, usually.

For example, transmissions nowadays typically last the whole lifetime of
a car. 20+ years for us on two vehicles so far, for everything. Vehicle
owners would have a hissy fit if they had to swap out a chain every 5000
miles.