Sandwich, MA to New York City

Old September 19th 05, 05:34 PM
Cycle America

Default Sandwich, MA to New York City

Can anyone recommend a bike route for Sandwich, MA to New York City? If
so, please reply to

THX n advance!!

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y
Old September 20th 05, 02:47 AM
Thomas Wentworth

If I was doing the ride, I would follow the coast to where I could get a
ferry to Long Island. Then, follow the coast of Long Island to New York
City.

Not sure of the exact route but this is how I would do it.

Old September 21st 05, 03:40 AM
Ron Wallenfang

I have no opinion on how to get over to Providence, but from there, I can
tell you what I did in my 2004 ride:

Notwithstanding that it's marked as an Interestate, I took the I-195 bridge
into Providence. I saw no sign saying I couldn't. Anyway, I eventually
picked up US 6 and took it into CT to 169, and 169 south to Norwich, then 82
to the CT River ferry; then154 south to 80 and 80 west to East Haven. These
were all pretty bike riding good roads.

I have no good advice after that. In New Haven, I worked my way south and
got on US 1 and took it all the way to New Rochelle. That route is a
penance with stop lights all the way and no small number of hills, but as
urban riding goes, I felt safe enough.

In New Rochelle, I picked up Pelham Rd, which eventually crosses Pelham Park
in the Bronx. At its south terminus, I picked up a cross Bronx
Parkway/Greenway, eventually passing the zoo and ending up on Fordham Rd. -
a most interesting human zoo, great for people-watching but not for speed!
That road eventually crossed into Manhattan, which is narrow there, and on
crossing it, you have good bike paths and similar roads along the Hudson
almost all the way to the bottom of the island.

Old September 21st 05, 09:22 PM
bktourer1

I am using the Reubels bike mapos to plan a trip from Spfld ma to the
cape next year. I rode to NYC 2x and via backroads and rail trails. If
you want my cue sheets please advise to my hotmail mailbox. If you
decide to come through the Spfld area I can give some support via,
shopping, bike shops and possibly camping in my backyard if nec.
Ed

Old September 21st 05, 09:27 PM
bktourer1

if you get the conn. bike map it shows how to cross all the rivers in
conn. The path over I 95 from Groton to New London is designated
bike/ped.

Ed

Old October 14th 05, 04:25 PM
Cycle America

THX so much everyone for your suggestions. And this last thought is
indeed the way we will go. It's what I did in '86 and I guess even back
then I somehow chose what looks like the best option......

So now it's off to Long Island research. And since Port Jefferson to
Manhattan is only 60 miles, I am going to see if I can get some of the
bike clubs out there to serve as guides.

THX 4 all of U!!

BTW: My book and team of riders can be found at
http://www.bikeroute.com/HBGR.html