Holy Grail of Suspension unicycles. HA! EUREKA!

Old February 8th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

Default Holy Grail of Suspension unicycles. HA! EUREKA!

saskatchewanian wrote:
How about using a shaft instead of a chain to power the wheel. Check out
Christini AWD, it seems like it would be a good option eliminating the
need for the moving chain tensioner (and therefore some slop and many
other problems). You would probably need to have the gears cut square
instead of on an angle though so it can transfer power in both
directions.

It might be easier to build a strong connection between the cranks and
frame if you lowered them to just below the wheel axle. Or along side
the leg of the frame if you don't want them that low.

edit, 'forgot to add the link' (http://www.christinibicycles.com/)

Overall the concept looks workable except the chain system which looks
problematic.saskatchewanian's suggestions looks to be a good idea to
get around the chain problem.No doubt there are still many details for
you to work out but if you get the fundamentals right all the other
fiddly bits can be worked out in time.Keep at it.

--
dangerdog
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

Ok guys also, I'm like flat broke, so im not spending money on it
lol.... I'm scavanging parts from my grandpas huge junk pile, and a
metal shop thats free for me to use, minus metals from there. thanks
for your help though guys

--
unibikeling

unibikeling wrote:

chrome wrote:
Difficult to mount, but a fun ride once you get her going....

-if only my unicycle was that dirty

'lol...' (http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com)

my 'myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/gramwashere)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

and also, Isnt the whole point of what i drew to have the tire free
traveling? Minus some small flaws in it, initially, replacing some
things with springs, and supporting other things, ive created somethign
that can move the tire without moving the pedals, duh! lol

Edit: When i do this, im going to re-inforce my pedal frame and stuff.
I might weld more metal on it or something, to keep it stiff. Also,
when i do this, im going to need to figure out how to tig weld things
to the berrings, but eh, i think its going to work out all fine

--
unibikeling

Old February 8th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I don't think that the shaft drive would be all that expensive. A
telescoping shaft might be a bit harder to find for cheep but it should
not be hard to find cheep bevel gears. If worst comes to worst you
could use two different sizes of square tubing for the shaft but then
you would need to get creative with attaching bearings etc.

I will be interested in seeing what you end up building.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

unibikeling wrote:
and also, Isnt the whole point of what i drew to have the tire free
traveling? Minus some small flaws in it, initially, replacing some
things with springs, and supporting other things, ive created somethign
that can move the tire without moving the pedals, duh!

As for unicycle shock absorption for trials, I have always been a fan
of adding a spring steel leaf spring to the cranks. Simple and
straight-forward to implement and mechanically isolates the pedals from
the unicycle.

Cut out a section of each crank between the axle and the pedal. Slot
the two sides to accept some thick spring steel sheet. Perpendicular to
the slots, drill holes through to accept an appropriate tap. On one
side of the slot, expand the holes to clearance. Tap the holes. Insert
the spring steel sheet between the two crank sections. Insert and
tighten the screws to clamp the spring steel in place.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
PetePuma

Or maybe you could develop a hybrid unicycle/pogo stick for really big
hops...

--
PetePuma
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

harper wrote:
As for unicycle shock absorption for trials, I have always been a fan of
adding a spring steel leaf spring to the cranks.

Thus:

|Filename: CrankSpring.jpg |

harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Matt_V

That's a really good Idea, I wonder why it's never been discussed
before. Or maybe it has....

--
Matt_V

-Matt
My msn: - Add me if you wish
|'My Uni' (http://tinyurl.com/39mt6k)|
|'Ready to Fall'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64604)|'Winter
Riding'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66350)|
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 8th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

harper wrote:
Thus:

Maybe a spring action could be incoroporated into the hub, where it
would provide a strong flex/recoil in right and left axles (and in both
directions), but only when putting enough weight/pressure on it-when
hopping, etc-to engage it. The spring would have to be pretty strong as
to provide sufficient recoil to provide desired results.

--
MuniAddict

My Videos:

'http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
Old February 8th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

unibikeling wrote:
everything would essentially have a enclosure, like plastic or
something, I might vacum press some plastic parts for just the outside,
Its what ive created, i plan to start building it soon

let us know how the failure.... i mean project goes

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com