2 punctures in one ride

Old June 14th 11, 07:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default 2 punctures in one ride

I know, I know - I should not be racing a fellow riding a flashy Trek
and who is dressed in that fabric whose name shall not be mentioned
whilst I have a dodgy sidewall in my tyre My bad my bad

Popped the first inner tube being a bit enthusiastic with nobody around,
and after changing the tube I reminded myself NOT to push the bike too
hard and then this fellow overtakes me whilst he was in the bike lane
and I was on the roadway and I just automatically responded - stupid me
Of cos the front tyre popped again when I hit a cadence of about 95
and with no more spare inner tubes this time, I had to walk over an hour
and a half to my destination

Go on, laugh! Mock me - I deserve it Yeah, sink the boot in, you
might as well

Never made it to Johnno's in Kenso as he was long closed by time every
thing was done and dusted. Will have try again tomorrow.

I think I'll rip off the tyres from me other bike .... should have done
that in the first place... hhmmmm...

Old June 14th 11, 10:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 04:46:08 +1000
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
hard and then this fellow overtakes me whilst he was in the bike lane
and I was on the roadway and I just automatically responded - stupid me
Of cos the front tyre popped again when I hit a cadence of about 95
and with no more spare inner tubes this time, I had to walk over an hour
and a half to my destination

maybe you need some glueless patches.

(or a patch kit, they don't take up that much room!)

Zebee
- who has 2 different size wheels on the 'bent, so two tubes. And a
patch kit which came in handy on the 2nd front wheel puncture in
300 yards. Damn builders leaving crap everywhere!
Old June 15th 11, 01:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
hard and then this fellow overtakes me whilst he was in the bike lane
and I was on the roadway and I just automatically responded - stupid me
Of cos the front tyre popped again when I hit a cadence of about 95
and with no more spare inner tubes this time, I had to walk over an hour
and a half to my destination

maybe you need some glueless patches.

(or a patch kit, they don't take up that much room!)

Zebee
*- who has 2 different size wheels on the 'bent, so two tubes. *And a
* *patch kit which came in handy on the 2nd front wheel puncture in
300 yards. *Damn builders leaving crap everywhere!

I've successfully used a Mars Bar wrapper to stop a dodgy sidewall
eating tubes.

Eat Mars Bar. Place wrapper on inside of tyre at point of dodginess.
insert tube and inflate, being careful not to move the wrapper. Ride
to use up Mars Bar calories...

....and always carry a patch kit - as well as tubes.

Tony F
Old June 15th 11, 04:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
hard and then this fellow overtakes me whilst he was in the bike lane
and I was on the roadway and I just automatically responded - stupid me
Of cos the front tyre popped again when I hit a cadence of about 95
and with no more spare inner tubes this time, I had to walk over an hour
and a half to my destination

maybe you need some glueless patches.

(or a patch kit, they don't take up that much room!)

Hm, we have previously discussed how clever I am to carry more than one
spare tube versus carrying a patch kit but I think I WILL start thinking
of glueless patch kits now.

Zebee
- who has 2 different size wheels on the 'bent, so two tubes. And a
patch kit which came in handy on the 2nd front wheel puncture in
300 yards. Damn builders leaving crap everywhere!

2 punctures inside 300 yds? Bloody hell, some days, eh?
Old June 15th 11, 05:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

I've successfully used a Mars Bar wrapper to stop a dodgy sidewall
eating tubes.

You know, I DID think of using a bit of the previous tube to patch over
that dodgy sidewall but for some stupid reason I didn't do it - maybe it
is more of me trying to push my luck as usual. I am glad someone has
tried it and can confirm it works - provided, of cos, that the hole is
not too big, I guess.

Eat Mars Bar. Place wrapper on inside of tyre at point of dodginess.
insert tube and inflate, being careful not to move the wrapper. Ride
to use up Mars Bar calories...

Heheheh! I LUUUUV cycling - a no-guilt Mars Bar, mmmmmmm, yum

...and always carry a patch kit - as well as tubes.

Awwright, awright, I heard it the first time (actually the fourth or
fifth time based on previous posts some months ago) .
Old June 15th 11, 05:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:55:57 +1000
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 15/06/2011 7:24 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Zebee
- who has 2 different size wheels on the 'bent, so two tubes. And a
patch kit which came in handy on the 2nd front wheel puncture in
300 yards. Damn builders leaving crap everywhere!

2 punctures inside 300 yds? Bloody hell, some days, eh?

The worst one was some years ago, riding to work.

Puncture about 5 min from home. Change tubes.

Ride another couple of minutes. Puncture. patch tube.

Ride less than a minute. Puncture.

Swear copiusly, decide this was God telling me to take a sickie, patch
tube, ride home, call in sick.

Zebee

Old June 15th 11, 12:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 15/06/2011 4:46 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

Solid tyres should fix that problem!
Old June 15th 11, 05:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 15/06/2011 9:50 PM, Rob wrote:
On 15/06/2011 4:46 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:

I think I'll rip off the tyres from me other bike .... should have done
that in the first place... hhmmmm...

Solid tyres should fix that problem!

Hm, now that you mentioned them, I had a google and, of cos, they are
available. I have always known of solid tyres on forklifts and those
solid forklift tyres weigh more than a few grams

Might have a read of what others say elsewhere about solids. Anybody in
this newsgroup who has used solids and cares to impart some life
experiences?
Old June 15th 11, 09:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 02:31:23 +1000
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 15/06/2011 9:50 PM, Rob wrote:
On 15/06/2011 4:46 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:

I think I'll rip off the tyres from me other bike .... should have done
that in the first place... hhmmmm...

Solid tyres should fix that problem!

Hm, now that you mentioned them, I had a google and, of cos, they are
available. I have always known of solid tyres on forklifts and those
solid forklift tyres weigh more than a few grams

Might have a read of what others say elsewhere about solids. Anybody in
this newsgroup who has used solids and cares to impart some life
experiences?

The ones on my single speed coaster brake 20" bike had big chunks out
of them without seeming to cause any problems, and that bike went down
steps OK.

I did find when graduating to a big girl's bike (still a single
speed but with big wheels and pump up tyres) that it was faster and
more comfortable, but that might also have been the bigger wheels and
the sprung saddle.

Wasn't as good at riding down steps though.

Zebee

punctures Peter General 31 March 24th 09 09:09 PM
3 punctures Tom Crispin UK 1 November 21st 07 09:01 PM
Punctures? Not me Michael Green UK 4 January 18th 04 02:07 PM
Punctures Arctic Corsair UK 5 December 10th 03 09:14 PM
punctures Steve Watkin UK 5 July 31st 03 10:06 PM