Comfort Bike Handlebars

Old March 27th 05, 04:32 AM

Default Comfort Bike Handlebars

Can someone tell me where on the Net I could buy some
new comfort handlebars for my Marin bike ?

Even with the stem/handlebars in the highest position , I lean a
little
forward and I want to sit more upright. I'd like to find some
handlebars
that have more upright angle to them.

I realize the bike frame
may be too small, but I don't have the money to replace
the bike at this time.

Thanks,
Carl

Old March 27th 05, 04:35 AM
Pat

:
: Even with the stem/handlebars in the highest position , I lean a
: little
: forward and I want to sit more upright. I'd like to find some
: handlebars
: that have more upright angle to them.
:
: I realize the bike frame
: may be too small, but I don't have the money to replace
: the bike at this time.
:
: Thanks,
: Carl

You'd be better off going to your local bike shop and letting them advise
you. I find that anything under about $100, it's better to go to the LBS
first. There won't be a big price difference.

Pat in TX
:

Old March 27th 05, 05:58 AM
maxo

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:32:25 -0800, cnurbw wrote:

Can someone tell me where on the Net I could buy some new comfort
handlebars for my Marin bike ?

Do you have a regular or a threadless stem? With a threadless you can get
your shop to put a few spacers on and maybe get it up an inch or so
depending on how short the steerer tube's cut. With a threaded stem,
you're in luck, just raise or replace the stem with one that goes higher.

As far as handlebars go, I don't think anything's better for a "comfort"
bike than the time tested "North Road" bend--like you see on old three
speeds, but you can get it now in nice aluminum.

example:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=411

BTW, leaning forward's not a bad thing, it lets you use your muscles a
little more efficiently. Do make sure you have your saddle set to a
correct height, and remember, the harder you pedal, the less weight both
your butt and hands have to bear *grin*

Also think about some cushier grips. I LOVE the Tom Ritchey True Grips, I
think that they're the best grips for both "comfort" bikes and even
serious racy mtbs:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=5251#

They're smooth, fairly large diameter, hexagonal (I think, didn't count
the planes ) and very durable.

Old March 27th 05, 01:05 PM
Ken Marcet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me where on the Net I could buy some
new comfort handlebars for my Marin bike ?

Even with the stem/handlebars in the highest position , I lean a
little
forward and I want to sit more upright. I'd like to find some
handlebars
that have more upright angle to them.

I realize the bike frame
may be too small, but I don't have the money to replace
the bike at this time.

Thanks,
Carl

Well if you are set or stuck buying them online, I have found bikepartsusa
he http://www.bikepartsusa.com/ to be really good about shipping and
customer service. If you can't find anything there try harris cycle he
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

Ken

Old March 27th 05, 05:39 PM
Maggie

Peter Cole wrote:
wrote:
Can someone tell me where on the Net I could buy some
new comfort handlebars for my Marin bike ?

Even with the stem/handlebars in the highest position , I lean a
little
forward and I want to sit more upright. I'd like to find some
handlebars
that have more upright angle to them.

I realize the bike frame
may be too small, but I don't have the money to replace
the bike at this time.

Check out:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Do comfort bikes come with comfort handlebars, seats, pedals, or do you
have to buy a comfort bike and then make it more comfortable. A comfort
bike is confusing to me. Maybe bikes in general are confusing to me.
;-)
All good things,
Maggie
COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA, FERGETABOUTIT

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM