Lactic Acid Buildup

Old August 1st 05, 10:47 PM
Jools

Default Lactic Acid Buildup

When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am pooped afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit some hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath, and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup, or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

Old August 1st 05, 11:33 PM
kanangara

Jools Wrote:

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup
or
should I avoid hills.

No, you should seek them out more often

--
kanangara

Old August 2nd 05, 12:25 AM
Walrus

Jools Wrote:
When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am poope
afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit som
hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath
and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup
or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

You need to climb more hills and get your body accustomed to th
different strains on the body. I have friends who are great fla
riders, very fast, can go on for hours...but because they never climb
as soon as the road rises...their speed drops and heart rat
sky-rockets.

My advice would be to find the biggest hill in your area and include i
regularly in your rides. See how long you can hold a big gear by usin
landmarks. For example, the first time you ride it, you might get to
certain tree before you have to change gears. The next time, you migh
get 100m further. Gradually, the lactic build up will only have effec
at the top of the climb, or not at all. This is a good way to trac
your progress so you know you're getting better.

Get into the hills, it's the best

--
Walrus

Old August 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
Tamyka Bell

Walrus wrote:

Jools Wrote:
When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am pooped
afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit some
hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath,
and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup,
or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

You need to climb more hills and get your body accustomed to the
different strains on the body. I have friends who are great flat
riders, very fast, can go on for hours...but because they never climb,
as soon as the road rises...their speed drops and heart rate
sky-rockets.

My advice would be to find the biggest hill in your area and include it
regularly in your rides. See how long you can hold a big gear by using
landmarks. For example, the first time you ride it, you might get to a
certain tree before you have to change gears. The next time, you might
get 100m further. Gradually, the lactic build up will only have effect
at the top of the climb, or not at all. This is a good way to track
your progress so you know you're getting better.

Get into the hills, it's the best!

--
Walrus

Mix it up too. Sometimes you can just get in a nice low gear and spin
the whole way up. Other times, don't worry about getting to the top.
Just hit the hill as hard as you can in on gear, and once your cadence
drops below a certain number or once you've gone for a certain time,
roll back down the hill, spin out for a bit, and repeat many times.

Tam
Old August 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Peter McCallum

Jools wrote:

When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am pooped afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit some hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath, and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup, or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

I saw on one of those TV science shows recently that lactic acid,
contrary to accepted theory, actually prevents muscle fatigue. You want
more lactic acid not less.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old August 2nd 05, 01:03 AM
Tamyka Bell

Peter McCallum wrote:

Jools wrote:

When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am pooped afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit some hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath, and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup, or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

I saw on one of those TV science shows recently that lactic acid,
contrary to accepted theory, actually prevents muscle fatigue. You want
more lactic acid not less.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

That sounds like a bit of a misinterpretation of the lactic acid
shuttle, similar to what Runners World published about a year ago.

Tam
Old August 2nd 05, 01:25 AM
Carl Brewer

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:03:27 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:

Jools wrote:

When I start to climb I build up latic acid very fast, and am pooped afer a
minute or so.
I feel quite fit, and can do century rides no probs, but I hit some hard
climbs, and I am stuffed, legs start to burn, and trouble to breath, and
have to give up.

My question is, is there any method to improve on Lactic acid buildup, or
should I avoid hills.

Thankyou,
Jools

I saw on one of those TV science shows recently that lactic acid,
contrary to accepted theory, actually prevents muscle fatigue. You want
more lactic acid not less.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

That sounds like a bit of a misinterpretation of the lactic acid
shuttle, similar to what Runners World published about a year ago.

It's a bit of a misunderstanding, sports scientists have a different
idea now of how the body works.

The current theory is that blood lactate is a fuel, generated by
partially anaerobic muscle activity. It's not a bad thing in itself,
and it's a secondary (or tertiary?) indicator of fatigue, not a
cause or primary indicator. It's used by the body to shuffle fuel
around, as your muscles can't donate glygogen, but they can use
lactate as a fuel and donate it to other muscles.

At least, that's my understanding. the "lactate threshold"
probably has as much validity as ventalation thresholds etc,
ie: it's not really all that useful as a direct indicator of
performance.

Old August 2nd 05, 01:30 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:

Jools wrote:

[...]

They still agree that high lactic acid levels reduce performance. People
who go on about how lactate is so different from lactic acid don't seem
to understand the concept of ions in water.

And yeah, the lactate threshold is pretty much an arbitrarily determined
point which even health professionals throw in to training program
guidelines, but no one really knows what to do with it.

Tam
Old August 2nd 05, 02:17 AM
Carl Brewer

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:30:13 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

They still agree that high lactic acid levels reduce performance. People
who go on about how lactate is so different from lactic acid don't seem
to understand the concept of ions in water.

Does it reduce performance, or is it a sign of reduced
performance?

Old August 2nd 05, 02:24 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

They still agree that high lactic acid levels reduce performance. People
who go on about how lactate is so different from lactic acid don't seem
to understand the concept of ions in water.

Does it reduce performance, or is it a sign of reduced
performance?

Yeah, the main conclusions drawn so far still reckon it reduces
performance. This being that it changes the pH at which your muscles are
working or similar. Not to say it's not also a sign of reduced
performance. If it was both, that'd be a nasty exponential performance
reduction curve. They think the "shuttle" works at the same rate
throughout. No links or **** though, just check Web of Science.

Another interesting one: slight dehydration and increased sodium levels
may improve performance; the studies originally thought that it was just
that better athletes worked harder and ended up more dehydrated etc but
now they're reconsidering.

It ain't science, it's art. (heart?)

Tam

Long ride yesterday Servojohn Recumbent Biking 11 September 14th 05 05:02 PM
Knackered Tim Hall UK 20 September 7th 05 05:00 PM
Acid reflux during sprint or climb? [email protected] Techniques 13 April 30th 05 02:31 AM
Our Friend Lactic Acid? Steve Juniper Techniques 6 August 30th 04 01:35 PM
Article on Lactic Acid - interesting take on past research TBF Mountain Biking 7 August 24th 04 07:45 PM