Comfortable Bikes

Old May 12th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

Default Comfortable Bikes

In article , Paul Cassel
wrote:

I think there is a
lesson here but I"m unsure what it is.

-paul

Environmental, health and economic benefits are secondary; enjoyment is
the most compelling incentive.
Old May 12th 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Mackie

Interesting thread given some developments in our household as we have
gained a number of bikes in the past few months. My wife has
appropriated my old hardtail MTB for fitness rides - she did her
second duathlon at the weekend. It was always a size too small for me
which was OK off road but made it a bit of a pain for commuting,
though it has a certain urban chic with slicks on and some history
behind it. Big Boy (16) has a new 29" singlespeed MTB which he loves.
Our daughters (12 & 14) after a lot of hunting and choosing have some
"comfort" ladies frame bikes which they now ride everywhere. Cheap
enough to have Shimano's Mega low gear (34 in the rear IIRC) so easy
round our hilly neighbourhood. They love the ability to use for
exercise and transport. OK to ride in a skirt (ie school uniform or
something pretty). I've also acquired a Specialized Globe for
commuting but I am using it for more and finding it works as well with
regular clothes. Using it to run round town getting parts for a
singlespeed MTB for me. Looks like a house full of practical transport
(except Big Boy!).
Old May 12th 08, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Don Mackie wrote:

Interesting thread given some developments in our household as we have
gained a number of bikes in the past few months.

You see: higher oil prices are good for the bike industry ;-)

Derk
Old May 12th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Paul Cassel wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I know now that part of the reason she didn't use her other bikes for
commuting was that she didn't want to dress up, dress down, carry
clothes. There is something mellow about this bike which makes the
effort to ride it about the same as walking. I'm content going maybe 10
mph or even less for all I know. I'm hoping to prise it from her to see
if I can commute on it in street clothes w/o the sweat issue.

I have found that the best way to avoid getting sweaty while commuting
is to leave earlier and simply ride slower (8-10 MPH) but it's difficult
to do. I find that I will speed up for something--such as to cross an
intersection, or racing a traffic signal--and then I basically forget to
slow back down.
~
Old May 12th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Mackie

On May 12, 10:34*pm, Derk wrote:
Don Mackie wrote:
Interesting thread given some developments in our household as we have
gained a number of bikes in the past few months.

You see: higher oil prices are good for the bike industry ;-)

Derk

yes but.... we now have to agonise about choosing the right lubricant
for all those chains!!!
Old May 12th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Paul Cassel wrote:

Just goes to show how neat a bicycle can be if they are comfortable to
ride instead of specialized exercise equipment. I think there is a
lesson here but I"m unsure what it is.

There's a lesson for bicycle shops if they decide to learn it.

I.e. from Performance web site:

"Schwinn Coffee Single Speed Cruiser Bike

Sorry, this item is Out of Stock. We expect to receive it by
09/22/08. You can still order it and we will ship it to you as soon as
it comes in."

Yeah, so a rather junky one speed bicycle with fenders, a rack, and
chainguard, for $250, that you can get on and ride to school or the
store, is out of stock for the next five months because the manufacturer
was blindsided by the demand. So much for the excuse that no one buys
this kind of bicycle.