Good cycling tours in the French Alps?

Old October 9th 06, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Walrus

Default Good cycling tours in the French Alps?

I'm planning on doing a cycling tour in the French Alps in June 2007.

For anyone who has either done this before, or who knows their
stuff...could you let me know....

1. Are the big passes (eg Galibier) likely to be closed at that time of
year? I know it's hit and miss...but what % chance will they be closed?

2. Could anyone suggest a good tour operator that offers fully
supported rides (ie. follow you in a car so you don't have to carry
everything...maps...accom...food etc)? I want to ride the classic Alp
circuit...Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer & Galibier over 2-3 days.

The best I've found online is 'www.gpm10.com' (http://www.gpm10.com)
which was featured in ProCycling last September. Their \"Classic Cols\"
ride is absolutely what I'm after, but they've typically only offered it
in September.

I've found some other good options, but many of these are self-guided,
which means they arrange accomodation and transfers, but once you're
out on your bike...you're on your own. I'll only take that option if I
can't find a good fully supported operator.

--
Walrus

Old October 9th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kenneth Clements

"Walrus" wrote in message

snip
1. Are the big passes (eg Galibier) likely to be closed at that time of
year? I know it's hit and miss...but what % chance will they be closed?

Walrus

I did a solo camping tour in the Alps a couple of years ago in June and
there was no snow on the Galibier or the Madeleine.
This website usually has news of when the passes are open.
http://www.grenoblecycling.com/

Ken.

Old October 11th 06, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
steephill

I know you've stated your desire for a organized tour but consider
using Bourg d'Oisans as a base camp and doing rack pack trips from
there and staying at hotels or gites. Doing your own trip makes your
trip flexible and less expensive. Just throwing out the thought. There
are lots of resources on the net to help you. I've posted some info
from my trip last summer which you might find useful:

Cycling Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer & Galibier - The Marmotte:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/alpe-d-huez/

Cycling The B Side of Alpe d'Huez:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/col-de-sarenne/

Cycling Villard Notre Dame (not yet posted, coming Thu, Oct 12):
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Walrus wrote:
[...]

Bikes made in North America? Rob Osborn General 30 August 30th 05 01:28 AM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
The word is out: It's over. packfiller Racing 3 October 15th 04 06:22 PM