Curious product lineups, Litespeed division

Old May 8th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Curious product lineups, Litespeed division

On May 8, 11:49 am, John Everett
wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 08:23:19 -0700 (PDT), landotter

wrote:
On May 8, 8:51 am, Colin Campbell wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
So a lucky friend just acquired a Litespeed Archon, which led me to
check out the current lineup.

This high-end Ti builder offers eight road frames.

http://litespeed.com/2008/home.aspx#

Eight?

Okay, I get the Good One, the Stupid-Light One, the Cyclocross One, The
Century Ride One, and the One for Girls.

Can anyone explain the other three frames? I gather one is, more or
less, The Cheap One, but a newsgroup No-Prize is offered to anyone who
can explain the Ardennes and the Siena.

Can anyone find a similar excess of frame designs from another maker?
Note that the same frame under two different names (as sometimes happens
to bikes with the same frame but different component specs) doesn't
count.

The lineup is full of sloping top tubes. I hate 'em!

Surely there is counseling in your locality for obsessive compulsives.
Form follows function.

Form follows cost accounting. It's cheaper to manufacture frames in
Large, Medium, Small

Walmart bikes come in one size. Stop.
Quality compact and semi-compact road bikes come in usually six sizes.
Stop.

So you're a lying zealot. Congrats.
Old May 8th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Victor Kan

On May 8, 3:38 pm, landotter wrote:
Walmart bikes come in one size. Stop.

Un-stop. The recent "Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198" thread in
rec.bicycles.misc shows that they've moved up to Small, Medium, Large
sizes for some of their bikes.
Old May 8th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 8, 3:01 pm, Victor Kan wrote:
On May 8, 3:38 pm, landotter wrote:

Walmart bikes come in one size. Stop.

Un-stop. The recent "Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198" thread in
rec.bicycles.misc shows that they've moved up to Small, Medium, Large
sizes for some of their bikes.

I'd hardly consider a 1200 buck web only Walmart bike to be a great
example of a trend.
Old May 8th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Colin Campbell wrote:

I also dislike straight front forks, but apparently I'm badl...

Straying a bit from the original question, but you're not alone.

Probably the three things that shout UGLY to me a threadless headsets,
straight forks, and a sloping toptube. Happily my own Habanero has none of
those aesthetic atrocities. Doubtlessly others could argue to the contrary.

Art
Old May 8th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 8, 3:29 pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
In article , Colin Campbell wrote:
I also dislike straight front forks, but apparently I'm badl...

Straying a bit from the original question, but you're not alone.

Probably the three things that shout UGLY to me a threadless headsets,

Stiffer and easier to service is ugly? They sold me first time I
worked on them.

straight forks,

Been around since the beginning of cycling. I like them fine, they
pick up on the tapered rear tubes much better aesthetically than
pointless curves do. Form is function.

and a sloping toptube.

which gets the head tube in a good position for most folks that don't
race.

Happily my own Habanero has none of
those aesthetic atrocities. Doubtlessly others could argue to the contrary.

Yeah. I like convention when it works. Traditional bend bars and
square taper cranks work well for me. I do well with down tube
shifters and many other trad choices--but compact frames, straight
forks, and threadless makes a nice tight and modern road frame.

A Gunnar Sport would be a good example of traditional materials, but
without traditional biases:
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

Old May 9th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Carl Sundquist" wrote:

"Hank" wrote in message

But can anyone come out with a diet grape soda for me? Of course not.

http://www.faygopops.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

You can mail order diet grape.

Easier is probably to mix up some aspartame-flavoured syrup and inject
your own CO2.
isi seltzer bottle at a flea market,

Old May 9th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On Thu, 8 May 2008 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT), landotter
wrote:

On May 8, 11:49 am, John Everett
wrote:

Form follows cost accounting. It's cheaper to manufacture frames in
Large, Medium, Small

Walmart bikes come in one size. Stop.

So you're a lying zealot. Congrats.

Imagine my distress being called a liar by someone so obviously out of
touch. ;-)

See: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5751045

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old May 9th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 9, 9:30 am, John Everett
wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 12:38:24 -0700 (PDT), landotter

wrote:
On May 8, 11:49 am, John Everett
wrote:

Form follows cost accounting. It's cheaper to manufacture frames in
Large, Medium, Small

Walmart bikes come in one size. Stop.

So you're a lying zealot. Congrats.

Imagine my distress being called a liar by someone so obviously out of
touch. ;-)

See:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5751045

Every single in-store bike at Wal-Mart comes in one size only. That's
a one-off. Zealot.

Old May 9th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Off topic to the orignal post, but vis a vis aesthetics, I'm an old
guy who always thought 'level top tube, stem parallel, nice curve to
the fork', was sacred.

But I'm coming around to the semi sloping look, with stem, bar tops,
and brake lever tops all parallel. Not sure why it looks good, but
it's got to feel better than sliding my hands down the cinalli
campione del mundo's to dura ace 7402 levers and crushing my first
knuckle. Still working up to straight forks though. I swear I can
see my steel columbus forks flexing on bumps, which I kinda like, but
I know the engineers say otherwise.
Old May 9th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 9, 10:37 am, mtb Dad wrote:
Off topic to the orignal post, but vis a vis aesthetics, I'm an old
guy who always thought 'level top tube, stem parallel, nice curve to
the fork', was sacred.

But I'm coming around to the semi sloping look, with stem, bar tops,
and brake lever tops all parallel. Not sure why it looks good, but
it's got to feel better than sliding my hands down the cinalli
campione del mundo's to dura ace 7402 levers and crushing my first
knuckle. Still working up to straight forks though. I swear I can
see my steel columbus forks flexing on bumps, which I kinda like, but
I know the engineers say otherwise.

The curve of the day was just fashion, just one way to get from here
to there. Tire width and pressure is more important to comfort. I used
to have to use gloves and closed cell tape if I ran 23s on a trad road
bike, but I can ride all day with 28s, bare hands, straight forks, and
cloth tape. It's the tires. That and good bar set-up. Gimme something
Nitto that allows me several positions without clenching, and I'm
good. Never could stand Cinelli type bends where the ramps slid you
down towards the hoods. Ech.

TDF 2007 Assessment 2 (Versus Division) Crapton Racing 0 July 19th 07 08:11 AM
Bigfoot Classic uni division skilewis74 Unicycling 2 June 20th 07 09:33 PM
Division 1 dopers? Chachi Racing 8 October 1st 06 08:00 AM
FA: 96 Litespeed Obed w/ RockShox, King, Syncros Excellent 16" (No Reserve!) Titanium Frame refinished last year by Litespeed!! Alan257 Marketplace 0 September 13th 05 07:07 PM
'04 MTB Lineups Derek Australia 8 November 30th 03 11:10 PM