Some Rim ERD Questions

Old May 10th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default Some Rim ERD Questions

I'd like to replace a rim with a flat spot without replacing the wheel's
spokes- it's on a bike I rarely ride, so I'm looking for the least
expensive fix The current rim is a Mavic MA40. My copy of Spocalc says
this rim has an ERD of 613. But here's what it says in Spocalc:

"Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

Also, is there any leeway on the ERD for a new rim? Can I get away with
613 or 611?

Would anyone care to suggest a favorite (inexpensive) rim with the right
ERD? The bike is an old tourer (a Tanguy) on which I once rode
cross-country.

Thanks!
BC
Old May 10th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

BCDrums wrote:
"Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

My version of Spocalc just lists the MA-40 as 613 mm with no note.

I think they're saying that the nipple head has some thicknes, so the
top of the nipple is about 1.5 mm above where the nipple rests on the
rim.

Also, some folks like to have the spokes flush with the top of the
nipple, others like then to come to the botton of the slot in the
nipple.

If the spokes are too long, the nipple can bottom out and yoy won't be
able to get enough tension. If they're too short you might not have
enough thread engagement.

I usually calculate the spoke length using the given ERD, and then
subtract 1 mm from the resulting spoke length when ordering.

I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

First, see where the spokes end in the nipples of your current wheel.
If they're just right, I would get another 613 mm ERD rim. If they're
a little short, you could go with a slightly smaller ERD rim.

You don't have to be dead on, but it's better for the spokes to be 1
or 2 mm shorter than ideal rather than 1 or 2 mm longer.

Art Harris
Old May 11th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 10, 7:05*am, BCDrums wrote:
I'd like to replace a rim with a flat spot without replacing the wheel's
spokes- it's on a bike I rarely ride, so I'm looking for the least
expensive fix The current rim is a Mavic MA40. My copy of Spocalc says
this rim has an ERD of 613. But here's what it says in Spocalc:

"Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

If the spoke is still recessed a couple mms into the backside of the
nip, you should be able to get away with a Sun CR18 with an ERD of
611. Wrong color, of course...

A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 25 May 3rd 08 01:35 AM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 10 May 2nd 08 07:02 PM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Eddbmxdude Unicycling 0 April 30th 08 10:18 AM
Three Questions Joe King Racing 4 July 30th 06 03:50 PM
10 Questions One on one Unicycling 0 June 3rd 05 03:05 AM