Automatic transmissions considered harmful

Old March 8th 19, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Automatic transmissions considered harmful

Beautiful day today, a balmy 21F this morning, the robins were singing,
a woodlot full of tapped sugar maples on the way to work.

Riding through the top of a T intersection with a minor road on my
right, they have a stop sign, I see a small car that seems not likely to
even slow, much less stop. Fortunately the oncoming lane is empty, and
I swing out past the yellow line, right alongside the car. Curses
(literally, and loudly, but to no effect, windows are closed). I can
see the driver, a fat girl, looking down at her cell phone in her
gearshift hand, grinning like a fool.

I tried to catch up to her, but the next light was green for her and red
for me.

Hey, nobody died, just venting.

Old March 8th 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--

In my area it was about 37 this morning. I took a ride out to Bay Farm Island and as I got there I was being hit in the face with something hard. Must have been some sort of sticks or dust thrown off of somewhere. I looked around and discovered that it was rain drops at that point just between water and hailstones. They were small and it was very brief. I don't remember seeing that around here before. Though it was common enough up at Lake Tahoe.
Old March 8th 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:57:25 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Beautiful day today, a balmy 21F this morning, the robins were singing,
a woodlot full of tapped sugar maples on the way to work.

Riding through the top of a T intersection with a minor road on my
right, they have a stop sign, I see a small car that seems not likely to
even slow, much less stop. Fortunately the oncoming lane is empty, and
I swing out past the yellow line, right alongside the car. Curses
(literally, and loudly, but to no effect, windows are closed). I can
see the driver, a fat girl, looking down at her cell phone in her
gearshift hand, grinning like a fool.

OK, you confused me....

The road on the right had a stop sign, the car was coming from the right?
If the car was coming from the right and didn't stop, wouldn't they end up running into whatever was on the top of the intersection?

or you were both traveling on the top of the T, you saw she wasn't going to stop - you dodged into the oncoming traffic lane, meaning she was coming from behind you?

I'm having a hard time picturing this whole scenario.
Old March 8th 19, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/8/2019 3:58 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
[...]

I took it to mean Radey was riding (say) west to east on a straight
road, and the fat girl was driving (say) north to a T stop sign at
Radey's road, which she ignored. And she didn't see him because she was
looking at her phone.

I'm never too bashful to yell loudly in such a situation. But apparently
this girl needed more.

It's 2019. Why are there still no bike-mounted rocket launchers??

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 5:05:59 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

You need to take the L.A.W. into your own hands (or mount one on each side of your bike) as they are quite light and they are compact when not deployed for use.

https://modernfirearms.net/userfiles...2/m72law-1.jpg

and

https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...ea-640-320.jpg

Cheers
Old March 9th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/8/2019 5:28 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Do they come in carbon fiber?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 9th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 7:34:33 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Almost as good for the size of them = the tubes iirc are fiberglass. They don't weigh much at all.

Cheers
Old March 9th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/8/2019 2:05 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/8/2019 3:58 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:57:25 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Beautiful day today, a balmy 21F this morning, the robins were singing,
a woodlot full of tapped sugar maples on the way to work.

Riding through the top of a T intersection with a minor road on my
right, they have a stop sign, I see a small car that seems not likely to
even slow, much less stop.Â* Fortunately the oncoming lane is empty, and
I swing out past the yellow line, right alongside the car.Â* Curses
(literally, and loudly, but to no effect, windows are closed).Â* I can
[...]

Have we forgotten Spike Bike already?

Here's the first online source I found:
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mjh/spike.html

Mark J.
Old March 9th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Zen Cycle writes:

[...]

She was turning right, but took a fairly wide turn. The intersection
isn't a right angle, so she had to turn less than 90 degrees.

or you were both traveling on the top of the T, you saw she wasn't
going to stop - you dodged into the oncoming traffic lane, meaning she
was coming from behind you?

She cut in right ahead of me.

I'm having a hard time picturing this whole scenario.

Old March 9th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

I did indeed yell loudly, and that has worked when windows are open.
Not this time, unless she's quite an actress she never guessed I was
there.

It's 2019. Why are there still no bike-mounted rocket launchers??

I feel almost like buying one of those air horns Hizzoner Scharf suggested.