Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

Old March 27th 06, 08:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
instead of by the toe??

Old March 27th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
buy them any more...

And are there such things as heel clips?

Sort of: Hase have various disability modifications available and a
pedal with a heel clamp is one of them IIRC.

Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
instead of by the toe??

Because that is only part of the idea, which is to give you better
pedalling efficiency. For which clipless pedals remain the best
solution in most cases.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

In article .com,
"NYC XYZ" wrote:

A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Good grief.
Old March 27th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article .com,
"NYC XYZ" wrote:

A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Good grief.

I was wondering this myself. But the guy's a respected 'bent-head,
riding a Velomobile himself, and is a jet-setting mechanical engineer
for Siemens in his day job. I'm sure he didn't mean actual permanent
deformity, but that's really the gist of his remarks on Power Grips.

Old March 27th 06, 08:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Run away! Run away! %^)

I used PG's for a number of years without discomfort or circulatory
issues.

They would have to be very tight to cause such dire consequences.
The amount of tightness from PGs is self limiting since the amount
of compression is limited by the angle and the insertion characteristics.
They can only apply an incremental amount of compression and
they have to be loose enough to get your shoe in to begin with.

PGs are good for riding in "normal" shoes, and they are a very cost
effective solution. But after going clipless, I wouldn't go back to
PGs... Combo platform/clipless are a good way to start. Watch
for closeout/discontinue sales on SPD-compatible shoes. (LBS,
Nashbar, Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, etc.) I spent less than
$60 total on my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.

I keep my cleat retention adjustment fairly loose. It is easier for
me to get out of clipless than it was with my Power Grips and
some lugged sole shoes. My MTB-labeled shoes are reasonably
comfortable for walking and look "normal".

Jon Meinecke

Old March 28th 06, 02:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
instead of by the toe??

Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
$20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!

I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
inches from the pedal.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 28th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Mike

Mike!

How are you buddy? Back at the computer I see. Everything went well? I hope
you'll be back on wheels soon.

Jeff
(top posted for your immediate enjoyment)

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
news
On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
buy them any more...

Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.

Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
Tobacco, much less really pursue it?

And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
bad for one's feet.

I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.

I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
cummute.

I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
very tight.

Indiana Mike

Old March 28th 06, 07:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

A Muzi wrote:

Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
$20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!

I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
inches from the pedal.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
never heard of this before.

I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
things first.

Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

Old March 28th 06, 08:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
A Muzi wrote:

[...]

Yes. Trunk Monkeys. Be very afraid.
--