Weird white substance gooping from the tire.

Old April 29th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Default Weird white substance gooping from the tire.

So me and Phil went unicycling today. We head downtown, and start
riding, in within 10mins, Phil pops his tire. I let him use my uni to
try a gap, which he doesnt make, and I get back on my uni to try the
gap. As soon as I get to the ledge before the gap, my tire pops too.

Its just a few mins past 6pm, and I guess 6pm is when all of the bike
shops close in Spokane. We found one though, and luckily it was a shop
that Phil gets discounts from.

So I get my tube replaced, and phil is getting his replaced. Now Phil
pinches a lot of tubes, even with high pressure. I dont get it at all,
but it happens enough that he keeps an old tube slit down the middle,
and that covers the new tube for extra cushion when its in the tire.
The shop did this, but didnt slit the tire, just cut off the valve and
hucked it back in.

During our ride, we are jumping up on some tables, and Phil notices his
tire is gooping white stuff. It has little threads in it too, like
cotton.

Anyways, I have Phils uni now cause im doing a while true/tension to
it, and decide to check out what the white stuff is. It made for taking
the tire off the rim very easy, but it was everywhere. Then I realised
it was on the inside of the old tube. I slit that open and hit the
motherload of it.

Its just kinda confusing to me, as ive never seen sealant like this. Im
assuming its a type of sealant.

2645526456
2645726458

Not sure if it really is thread worthy, but it is pretty gross. My room
smells like dead fish now.

|Filename: Gunk 4.jpg |

Jerrick

-i am christian, and i ride for christ.
check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
~jerrick-
Old April 29th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

My first thought is that it was a slime filled tube, but I've never seen
slime like that before.
It reminds me of in Universe 2 when Nik Caffroy does a 180 over that
bike rack and his tire explodes and white stuff shoots out and hits the
camera.

--
Spencer Hochberg

BedfordUnicycles.ca
'Spencer Hochberg-Unicycle Flatland-UniFlatland.com' (UniFlatland.com)
Old April 29th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Tire is a creepy crawler. It happens when he rides his Luna too.

Sometimes it makes since, cause hell be gapping about 8 feet and hit
the edge, or have lots of speed going into a 5 set and hit the stair
ledge.

But other times it will be a new tube, pretty hard pressure and he'll
do a fairly simple line, and no folding or hitting the rim that I can
see and Pssssst!

I thought it was slime too, but I never saw it as white, or with the
big chunks of fiber.

Old April 29th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Did the unicycle get a bit excited?...

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :

Kieron wrote:
I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
bush.

Old April 29th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

What does that stuff smell like?

--
forrestunifreak

I will, because I can.
'*-My Gallery-*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl)
*www.qu-ax.com* *unicycle for
christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

Old April 29th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

If he routinely filled his tire from a compressor rather than a floor
pump or hand pump, he could have gotten oil blow-by from the
compressor. This would be due to faulty seals on the compressor. The
stuff has the look of oxygenated oil. Does it feel or smell like oil?
The fabric could be part of the compressor seal material.

Otherwise, it is mysterious DNA material from outer space.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"You would be safer offending a fundamentalist terrorist group." -
tobbogonist, on mothers
Old April 29th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

I have been using Stan's No-Tubes - you can run low presure and never
pinch flat. The conversion kit is a little on the $ high side but you
will never need tubes again.

--
mtnjeffe
Old April 29th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Phil_on_uni

jerrick, give it to me straight... Is she gonna make it?? but ya this
is all true i get crazy pinch flats. if i ride every day for 2 weeks i
can sometimes change as many as 8 tubes....
if i use those thorn proof tubes they last a little longer, but as some
of you saw in moab, by our last day there it was leaking.

I almost always use a hand pump for my tire. I have use a compressor a
little but it is very well taken care of, i doubt its from there.

I am also a pretty big guy, so i need a decently high pressure.

thinking about it know, i bet thats why those guys wouldn't cut open
that tube for us.

jerrick was saying that maybe i should try the Eagle Claw tire cause
its supposed to be sturdier, ya?

--
Phil_on_uni

The word is AMAZING!
Old April 29th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Phil_on_uni

oh and sorry jerrick

--
Phil_on_uni

The word is AMAZING!
Old April 29th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OneWheelLess

there are several different companies that make tubes w/ sealant inside
them from the factory, and although i can't remember the brand, i
recognize that "slime". I have that in the rear wheel of my bmx. i've
used a lot of those tubes, and the prefilled tubes have much larger
fibers than the "slime" in a bottle for bicycle tires. some of the
stuff designed for lawn tractors also have larger fibers. i would
assume the regular bike "slime" in the bottle has smaller fibers so you
can actually get it into your tube.

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.