Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

Old June 18th 04, 01:06 PM
David Damerell

Default Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/
How _exactly_ would discs be superior?

- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones you'd be
able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel and not having
enough braking power.

This does not sound like a typical situation for _road_ rim brakes - not
that I have any difficulty modulating my front brake.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old June 18th 04, 04:36 PM
jim beam

evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

it's disks that allow you to ride for three hours caked head to toe in
mud and filth and never miss a beat. rim brakes, when the mud is truly
smeared all over the rim acting like a lubricant, just don't work, even
with a death-grip. disks, being up out of the goop & with their drilled
surfaces, just don't have this problem, hence they are superior for
extreme conditions.

and that's why people in this thread are taking a contrary position to
you - they are relating their experiences.

thanks.

Evan Evans wrote:
"SDMike" wrote in message news:WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02...

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
.com...

I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

"Better" depends on how you define it.

In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
difference.

In the old days i.e. 20 years ago all brakes were lacking power in wet
conditions. Campy even in the dry
Now days dual pivot solved that for the road. Vs solved that for off
road. I have never ever had any problem stoping or even locking up a V
brake in any condition. So how can a disc be any better? Disc are
nothing but a fancy gadgit. They are in the same vain as those
spinning hub caps you see on hip hop suv's. Cool factor. As far as Vs
working with a bent rim. If you bend a rim that bad the frame will
prevent you from riding. Discs have so many negatives & no real
positives.

Old June 18th 04, 05:19 PM
David Damerell

jim beam wrote:
evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old June 18th 04, 05:26 PM
dvt

Jim Connelley wrote:
"SDMike" wrote in message news:WGjAc.5094$tC5.321@fed1read02...
In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
difference.

Downhill ... Ever blow a tire off a hot rim?

Nope. Have you?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old June 18th 04, 07:27 PM
SDMike

snip

Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!

That's great, but there's people out there saying categorically "disc brakes are
crap." In more extreme conditions, discs are probably the best choice for
braking. All most other places and for more moderate riding, y'all are right:
discs are overkill.

If I lived somewhere where it rained LOTS and I HAD to ride in it, I'd have
discs on my road bike too. There's nothing like being able to stop without
having to squeegee the water off the rim.

I live in San Diego, so I'm happy with the performance of my road calipers. In
fact, I was tickled pink with the performance of my Dia Compe BRS200s (single
pivot) for many years. The only reason I'm not still riding them is that they
went to my little brother in VA. Who is still riding them!

I can still remember almost flipping myself over the bars shortly after DP
brakes came out and I upgraded one of my bikes. I was used to grabbing a
fistful of brakes. The DPs allowed you to grab fingerfuls of brake and do the
same thing.

Old June 18th 04, 07:38 PM

On 18 Jun 2004 17:19:14 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
wrote:

jim beam wrote:
evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

Dear David,

Perhaps you ought to say "paved road" or throw a tantrum?

Carl Fogel
Old June 18th 04, 08:33 PM
David Damerell

SDMike wrote:
DAvid Damerell:
Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

That's great, but there's people out there saying categorically "disc
brakes are crap."

I am not responsible for all the people "out there", thank God. :-)
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old June 18th 04, 11:05 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones you'd be
able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel and not having
enough braking power.

This does not sound like a typical situation for _road_ rim brakes - not
that I have any difficulty modulating my front brake.

The only reasons for putting disk brakes on a road bike that I can think of are

- Reliability in the rain
- Being immune to a taco-d wheel
- Not exposing the sidewall to failure after a crash bends a pad enough so it's
bearing on same and the rider is too dumb to have checked before riding on
(don't ask where I got that one....)
- Interchangability with other bikes...

But these are all stretches IMHO.... Frankly, I think I'd even be just as happy
with a v-brake on the rear wheel of my FS if it weren't for my non-standard
calves banging on the control cable...
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 19th 04, 02:47 AM
jim beam

David Damerell wrote:
jim beam wrote:

evan & david & the other doubters - you are entitled to your opinion,
but /please/ don't dismiss the experience of others without cause. rim
brakes are fine for the majority of users and in moderate conditions,
but /never/ try telling someone that's had to change rim brake pads half
way through a muddy ride that rim brakes are superior to disk.

Evidently you missed the word "road" too. Check with your other sock
puppets to see if they saw it, "tux lover" ?

what has "road" got to do with it? you're making blanket condemnations
of disk brakes and i'm merely pointing out that my experience with them
has been extremely positive. exactly why this should trigger a hostile
response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

and you, of all people, should be able to figure out the connection
between "tux lover" and my choice of o.s.

Old June 19th 04, 09:17 PM
SDMike

snip
what has "road" got to do with it? you're making blanket condemnations
of disk brakes and i'm merely pointing out that my experience with them
has been extremely positive. exactly why this should trigger a hostile
response from you is something i have trouble understanding.

Don't let him get to you. I think he just likes being contrary just to be
contrary.

I'll do the same thing, but I'm not quite as snooty when I do it.