durable rim suggestions

Old June 30th 04, 01:43 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default durable rim suggestions

forum writes- I thought Jobst's 200,000 mile spokes were 15/16. If so, that
sounds
good enough to me. BRBR

BUT laced to a much heavier rim.

forum- Any OCR is going to outlast a std rim BRBR

Depends on the rim. A light OCR rim will NOT outlast a heavier non OCR rim. OCR
is not a panacea for light rims, low spoke count, thin spokes.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old June 30th 04, 01:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jesse- I placed an inquiry with Joe Young (Youngwheels.com) about light,
durable wheels that would support my weight (200 lb) and riding (mostly
smooth roads) and received a great response.

Long reponse but e-mail me direct on the many points he mentions that IME, are
not true. Like how 'fast' hubs are, how DT hubs are 'faster and smoother and
easier to service', than shimano or Campagnolo. How he 'knows' that DT rims are
a superior 'metal'. How weight at the rim makes for better climbing, etc. Also
how DT flanges remove the requirement for regular retensioning and truing.

How tyhe tension of Velocity rimns are less than other rims?

There is so much bugleoil in his respose, it makes me cring.

No such animal as Revolution 14/15/15, less windup with a 2/1.7/1.8 spoke?

Plus $.80 per spoker for 14/15 spokes? yikes.

Me thinks he gets a huge $$ something from DT.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old June 30th 04, 02:43 PM
jim beam

you believe that figure?

i remember one of the old maintainence guys in a production facility
telling stories about one of his tools. [he did this with everyone he
ever met].

"i've had this hammer 20 years - it's been marvellous. it's had 2 new
heads and 3 new handles, but it's still the same hammer..."

you go back & read jobst's posts and filter out the replaced rims that
wore out, the hubs with broken flanges & the spokes that failed, then
tell me that you have a 200,000 mile wheel? something of a
"terminalogical inexactitude".

Andrew Lee wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote:

Disagree. NO reason to use a 15/16 vs a 14/15. What advantage does a 15/16

have

over a 14/15??

Paul You can't tell a weight weenie anything. BRBR

We wouldn't build that wheel.

Old June 30th 04, 10:32 PM
Andrew Lee

"jim beam" wrote:
you believe that figure?

Why not?

i remember one of the old maintainence guys in a production facility
telling stories about one of his tools. [he did this with everyone he
ever met].

"i've had this hammer 20 years - it's been marvellous. it's had 2 new
heads and 3 new handles, but it's still the same hammer..."

you go back & read jobst's posts and filter out the replaced rims that
wore out, the hubs with broken flanges & the spokes that failed, then
tell me that you have a 200,000 mile wheel? something of a
"terminalogical inexactitude".

Read what I wrote above. I was talking about his 200,000 mile SPOKES, not
wheels. If a few spokes fail over a couple of decades because of nicks, so
what? As for the rest of his wheels, I thought he was still riding some old
Campagnolo hubs must have a lot of miles in them. You could ask him how
much, I don't know.

Old June 30th 04, 10:57 PM
Andrew Lee

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote: I thought Jobst's 200,000 mile spokes were 15/16. If

so, that
sounds good enough to me.

BUT laced to a much heavier rim.

I thought the original poster was also asking for rim suggestions: "Torelli
Master? Mavic MA3? Mavic Open Pro? Bontrager Maverick? Sun CR-18?" Most of
these aren't lighter than the MA2s, which have a claimed weight of 460g
(some actual weights from Rinard: 444,451,466,454,481,481). Anyway,
reading Jobst and Sheldon, it seems that lighter rims that might be more
likely to crack around the spoke holes do better with thin spokes.

Googled http://tinyurl.com/2yrvz :

Ben Coleman writes:

My last two rear MTB wheels used Mavic rims and straight guage
spokes. I am around 200lbs and ride technical terrain on a hardtail
and thus am quite hard on my rear wheel and my LBS recommended
moving to straight guage spokes for strength.
Both these wheels failed around spoke holes, the first by cracking
across the rim at a local flat spot, the second by pulling eyelets
through the rim.
Looking at Sheldon Brown's web page and posts here, I am considering
moving to double butted (14/15) spokes to reduce the stress applied
to a single point on the rim.

It helps but may not get rid of it completely. I believe you would do
better with 1.8-1.6mm spokes. They are plenty strong enough and
develop a better load distribution in the rim. You may have problems
at the spoke elbows because the holes in the flanges are too large.

Jobst Brandt