Quiz

Old September 20th 03, 10:15 AM
bomba

Default Quiz

BCS wrote:
Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

Ah, ain't that just precious. Barry spent his Friday night in setting a
test to prove how much more he's read than us.

Old September 20th 03, 02:30 PM
Stephen Baker

bomba says:

Ah, ain't that just precious. Barry spent his Friday night in setting a
test to prove how much more he's read than us.

Heehee. But.....

Dr. Dimestore
What Barry hasn't realised (you listening, Barry?) is that if his "treatment"
on am-b upsets him so much, then he really must value the opinions represented
therein. Otherwise he would just discount them, being the expert he claims to
be, and move on.
/Dr. Dimestore

Again, if that is a personal attack, my apologies - just calling it as I see
it.
But you've killfiled me so it doesn't matter anyway, right?

Steve
Old September 20th 03, 05:19 PM
Chris

"BCS" wrote in message
om...
Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

I'm glad you posted this...because you're now obligated to shut the hell up.

You can't argue for weeks about your taking the high road in all these
threads and then come up and post this petty bull****. Any shred of respect
any of us could have had for you is long gone, and you cashed in your
dignity to do it.

I would killfile you, but it's too much fun watching JD put you in places
where you so clearly (especially after this post) belong.

Chris

PS - before you lump me into the "cheap parts hater" category, you should
note the only *real* criteria for acceptance here is to actually RIDE a
bike...the only thing I have yet to see you discuss. For example, JD and I
have a lot of different opinions, but I'm pretty sure he and I could go for
a ride, have a beer or six, and manage to not come to blows over something.

Old September 20th 03, 05:52 PM
BCS

bomba wrote in message ...
BCS wrote:
Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

Ah, ain't that just precious. Barry spent his Friday night in setting a
test to prove how much more he's read than us.

So, you're not going to answer any of the questions? That's what I thought.

-=B=-
Old September 20th 03, 06:21 PM
JD

bomba wrote in message ...
barry bargain wrote:
Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

Ah, ain't that just precious. Barry spent his Friday night in setting a
test to prove how much more he's read than us.

I'd call it something like "dry firing" instead of setting a test.

JD
Old September 20th 03, 10:42 PM
bomba

BCS wrote:

Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

Ah, ain't that just precious. Barry spent his Friday night in setting a
test to prove how much more he's read than us.

So, you're not going to answer any of the questions? That's what I thought.

Why do you want answers? Surely you already have them all, being an
expert who talks to Jobst, Keith et al.

Old September 20th 03, 11:06 PM
bomba

BCS wrote:
Since this NG is filled with helpful experts, I figured maybe you
could help me with a few [rhetorical] questions, just to clarify a few
things:

Go on then, I'll bite. I've answered the questions for the most part as
I would if a newbie had asked a similar question.

I have ~$50 to spend on a strong, durable, low-maintenance rear disc
hub. What should I buy, and from where, to get the best value for my
hard-earned dollars? I've had nothing but good luck with Shimano.
Every other brand of rear hub that I've used has had problems. I want
the hub to be field-serviceable, with cup-and-cone type bearings.

XT should fit the bill, just be aware that there are long-term
reliability issues.

I want the lightest XC bike that I can buy for under $1,000. What do
you recommend, and why? Have other people recommended it? Are they
just a bunch of ignorant doofuses that I should laugh at?

Why does it have to be the lightest? Lightweight does not necessarily
equate to best. Why not get something that fits and rides well?

I like V-brakes, and have no problems with them. They work great. I
really like my bike just the way it is. Should I buy a new
disc-equipped bike to be like the k3wl n xtr33m d3wdz? How many hours
should I work at my minimum-wage job to afford the disc bike? Should I
buy XTR, or inferior brakes?

V-brakes are fine, just don't be under any illusion that they're better
than discs.

There aren't any mountains where I live. Does that mean I shouldn't
ride a mountain bike? Can I still read and post on a.m-b?

Not even going to bother with this one.

My parents can only afford a Mongoose bike, but I really want to ride
some of the local offroad trails. Should I tell them that I'd rather
not have a bike until I can afford a Ventana or Santa Cruz?

Ride it till it breaks. Which shouldn't be long.

I have a bike with an oversized and gusseted hi-tensile steel frame.
Is it dangerous to ride a non-CrMo steel frame? Why?

The standard of workmanship and QC on low-end steel frames tends to be
poor - keep an eye on the areas around the welds.

Do I have to do big drops to be a real mountain biker? What is the
biggest drop-to-flat that you've done? Why do you do big jumps? Does
it make you a better rider?

If you actually read the group, you'll find most stay away from the big
drop stuff.

Where did you learn about wheel building? How many wheelsets have you
built?

I learnt off a friend who makes bmx components. I've built a few wheels.

What's your favorite brand of spokes, and why? What brand and gauge of
spokes do you recommend for an XC rear disc wheel?

Don't know that I've got a favourite spoke manufacturer (?), but I've
gone for DT Swiss Comps on my next (XC disc) wheels.

What are the advantages of radial spoking, and why are wheels built
like that?

Only to be used on the front wheel and only then if you're not using
disc brakes. They tend to be lighter and they look pretty, but they're
about the only advantages. Most people would be better off with a
normal 3-cross pattern.

Where can I buy custom-cut spokes for building a wheelset with large
hubs? How do I calculate spoke length?

Use the spoke length calculator.

Why does everybody have riser handlebars instead of a taller, longer
stem and flat handlebars? Keith Bontrager says riser bars are weaker,
and are a fashion trend. Is he right? Why do you ride riser
handlebars?

Because riser bars are easier to come by and adjust, than stem rises and
lengths. There are also painfully few wide flat bars with varying sweeps.

Are all Chinese and Taiwanese bikes junk? I heard that Ritchey and
Truvativ parts are made in Asia. Does that mean they're weak and
dangerous? What about bikes made in Taiwan? Should I pay 4x as much
for a bike made in the good ol' US of A? Most bikes I've seen have
been made in Taiwan or China. Does that mean that most mountain bikers
are stupid, ignorant newbie cheapskates who are taking their lives
into their hands, and probably even deviating from the trails
sometimes, causing erosion? Should I yell at people who deviate from
the trail even a tiny bit?

I'd say that a lot of bike welders in the Far East have lots of
experience and can knock out good frames. Decent companies pick out the
better bike manufacturers and the resultant frames are very good. As
with anywhere else, if you drop down the price scale, standards drop,
and certain companies in the Far East have shocking QC.

You can get a frame that's just as good as one welded in the US, but
generally you can guarantee that a frame made in the US will be of a
high standard. You pay for it, obviously.

If I don't recognize any of the brand names on a bike frame or
component, should I automatically assume that it's junk? If somebody
tells me it's good and they ride it with no problems; should I laugh
at them and tell them they're an ignorant newbie?

Back it up with evidence and experiences and we'll listen. Obviously,
it someone else has differing experiences with that particular product
then they'll disagree.

I've bought lots of bikes and parts from Ebay, and have gotten amazing
deals. Never had a single problem. Should I stop buying bikes from
Ebay? Some guy on a.m-b said I should. Do you think I should just
tell this loser and his loser pals to f*ck off?

Ooh, bitter...

Is it true that JD stands for "Jack*ss Deluxe?"

Jock Duff, I thought.