METEC RR Thur 04-Mar-04

Old March 9th 04, 04:26 AM
hippy

Default METEC RR Thur 04-Mar-04

I tried another break at METEC last Thursday..
Around the 18min mark of the C grade 45min+3 laps race.
I didn't get very far this time before I ran out of steam and
the bunch caught me. Well most of the bunch. I seemed to
have caused poor Jason to be dropped off the back.
Not surprising really, as he was the rider to just complete
a big turn..

This left it open for Rick to attack. He went away solo
and was soon after joined by his accomplice in break
aways... his... Dad?

I didn't bother to chase either of them and no one else
seemed too bothered either. I thought the bunch could
catch them easily...

How wrong I was.

The bunch got busy and we chased them, reducing the gap
to 13 seconds, but then it started increasing.. "nooo!"
The bunch was getting tired and the gap was out to
20 seconds. "Noo!"

The bunch faded out with none of the others able to chase
so I ended up dropping them, having to chase the "family"
breakaway alone.

With little more than the final 3 laps to go, the break and
myself lapped the last of the "energy deficient" riders.
It was not looking good for me though.
I could see the gap to 2nd place remaining contant as the
three of us crossed over - father and son powering down
the finishing straight and me struggling towards the final
sweeper - trying to make up 'anything' on them.

The gap wasn't going to shrink below 20 seconds and I
watched the final sprint to decide 1st and 2nd, before I
sprinted against some 'imaginary' riders to claim 3rd.

The duo off the front must have worked well together
until Rick was just edged out in the sprint, according
to finish line marshall David.

Anyway, serves me right for trying to break just after
a buddy had done a big turn.. Sorry man!! Pleeeease
forgive me! ;-)

hippy

Old March 9th 04, 05:00 AM
jazmo

Nice report

What was the turnout like last week

I'm going to try to make it there on Thursday. Will probably have t
leave work a little earlier than usual

-

Old March 9th 04, 05:24 AM
hippy

"jazmo" wrote in message
Nice report.

What was the turnout like last week?

Different. About 7/8 riders again but they all seemed
to be different. Rick and I were there but the rest
seemed to be non-regulars. Some of the regulars
were missing too (Gavin and Grant?).

I'm going to try to make it there on Thursday. Will probably have to
leave work a little earlier than usual.

The only way I can make the Blackburn training
and racing and the Croydon ride, is to leave work
early. Is it THAT bad? :-D

hippy

Old March 9th 04, 12:20 PM
hippy

35.2kph average speed.

hippy

Old March 10th 04, 11:45 PM
jazmo

Hippy wrote:
35.2kph average speed.
hippy

Will be heading out there tonight. Don't start the race without me!

Old March 12th 04, 05:45 AM
flyingdutch

jazmo wrote:
Will be heading out there tonight. Don't start the race without me!

So, how'd you go Jazmo?

(I personally blame you for inspiring me to start this crit caper...)