Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back)

Old March 16th 04, 07:32 PM
kingsley

Default Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:45:14 +0000, madoneman wrote:

Looks like on the next Hell ride, I will have to wear a disguise so they
don't recognise me at the start. I might even have to resort to riding the
Madone as I think I was the only rider on a Blue Cannondale.

You should all turn up in lone-ranger masks

Failing that, there's always Hell-Ride does TISM[1], but
be careful if you stop at an ATM...

-kt

[1] If you don't get it, TISM (as in the band) all wear balaclavas(sp?)
Old March 16th 04, 07:32 PM
kingsley

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:15:01 +0000, Hitchy wrote:

Eventually the 'hell ride' broke up into several smaller bunches, cos of
the lights (which may well be the idea?)....

Maybe the fore-group could stop and wait for the tail as a protest.
How are you supposed to practise for the race peleton in a tiny group!

-kt

Old March 16th 04, 07:32 PM
kingsley

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:15:01 +0000, Hitchy wrote:

....Mr. pursuit vehicle plod was hanging out the
window taking digital photos of anyone

Wasn't this an episode of "The Bill" about 6 months ago ?

-kt

Old March 16th 04, 09:30 PM
flyingdutch

Im with you Andrew (to a degree) but to be honest, i think the guy wh
got pinged was. He wasnt whingeing that he had been wronged. Jus
annoyed at his Saturday, it say

Anyways, goin thru reds is like voting for Howard. sooner or later it
gonna bite you in de ass! (watch this space

-

Old March 16th 04, 10:15 PM
cfsmtb

Kingsley wrote:
[1] If you don't get it, TISM (as in the band) all wear balaclavas(sp?)

Also have a tune entitled "Greg The Stop Sign

-

Old March 16th 04, 11:10 PM
rickster

madoneman wrote in message .. .
[snip]

The Hell ride would not be the Hell ride if we rode in bunches of 10.
You don't see the 200 riders in the tour de France going off at
intervals of 1-2 minutes. If you split up the groups then more red
lights will be run as they will be trying to chase the other groups. You
need to do the Hell ride to experience it.

WTF ? It's not like climbing everest, completing the Haj, meeting
Buddha or reaching Nirvana. It's just a fast bunch ride, one of many
in Melbourne and every city in the world probably has them.

You cannot, nor can anyone, justify the breaking of road rules to
partake in this. I must admit, as a cylist, I'm more on the cops side
than any Hell Riders.

You guys are CM with velocity some times. And like CM you do more
harm than good.
Old March 17th 04, 12:00 AM
ajft

Rickster wrote:
madoneman wrote in message
.. . [snip]
You cannot, nor can anyone, justify the breaking of road rules to
partake in this. I must admit, as a cylist, I'm more on the cops side
than any Hell Riders.
You guys are CM with velocity some times. And like CM you do more harm
than good.

I've ridden through red pedestrian lights when some #$##%-head ki
pushes the button and runs off, or when someone pushes the button, tire
of waiting and jay-walks before they change

How does a ##$%-head kid pushing the button and running off differ fro
a police occifer pushing the button with no intention of crossing th
road, and the sole intention of catching people running red lights

Is the red-light relevant to its purpose, that of making the vehicle
give-way to the pedestrians

I've also been booked and fined for riding through a red-light. Th
policeman took great delight at the time in telling us in detail how th
fine was shortly to rise from $20 to $165, and what a terrible danger
was posing both to myself and to any cars that should mysteriousl
telephort in from beyond visibility

-

Old March 17th 04, 12:30 AM
jazmo

ajft wrote:
I've ridden through red pedestrian lights when some #$##%-head kid
pushes the button and runs off, or when someone pushes the button, tires
of waiting and jay-walks before they change.
How does a ##$%-head kid pushing the button and running off differ from
a police occifer pushing the button with no intention of crossing the
road, and the sole intention of catching people running red lights?
Is the red-light relevant to its purpose, that of making the vehicles
give-way to the pedestrians?
I've also been booked and fined for riding through a red-light. The
policeman took great delight at the time in telling us in detail how the
fine was shortly to rise from $20 to $165, and what a terrible danger I
was posing both to myself and to any cars that should mysteriously
telephort in from beyond visibility.

ajft, I understand your frustration but are you saying that cars shoul
also ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings under the sam
circumstances you mention

-

Old March 17th 04, 12:45 AM
patch70

Andrew Morris [/i]
and you know what? You ran a red, and you got caught...

Why bitch about it? It's probably the first time you
got caught...

You do the crime, do the time...
[/quote] I am only annoyed with myself for my stupidity! The cops (4 of them!!!) were just doing their jobs and yes I did the crime (even though I almost never do that crime). It is just that $200 really hurts when you haven't been paid in 2 months thanks to government incompetence but that is a whole other story.

[quote][i]Originally posted by flyingdutch wrote:
How do they fine you if they cant identify you? (presumably you were
pulled over...)

They pulled me over and took down my details. They were even nice
enough to say they'd send me the fine in the mail so that they didn't
slow me down any more in my attempt to catch the bunch.

Old March 17th 04, 12:45 AM
cfsmtb

jazmo wrote:
ajft, I understand your frustration but are you saying that cars should
also ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings under the same
circumstances you mention?

point taken, that's a slippery slope.