Hell of The west

Old April 13th 04, 04:21 AM
madoneman

Default Hell of The west

A few months ago there was some debate about the distance & gradient of
the Hell of The West climb.

Well I actually climbed it on Monday and recorded the data on my S710 HR
Monitor. The official details are below:

Distance from start of steep part to top = 1.2K Gradient = 13.7% average
(Steepest Part = 15.9% Total Ascent = 125M approximately.

I tried to use a 39/23 but I was in the 39/25 after about 100M. Hitchy
got off and walked. The last 100M is incredible. The strain on your
arms and handle bars is enormous (I thought I was going to snap the
head stem).

I made it but suffered big time.

See the following link for the altitude map: Click on Hill Climbs
http://marcan.customer.netspace.net.au/

Cheers

Madone Man

Old April 13th 04, 06:21 AM
flyingdutch

Nasty stuff indeed!

you sure about that Tawonga Gap data tho?

9.8 km sounds way too long. I had it pegged at 6.3km making the gradient
approx 8-9%

Makes that BawBaw classic climb very scary indeed. My cuzz who did the
alpine on 42-21 concedes he may lower himself to 39-26! (cheeky
bugger!!!)