handlebar bag .. ?? Recommend, and a question

Old October 17th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Clyde Henpecker

Default handlebar bag .. ?? Recommend, and a question

I have a bag on my Cannondale touring bicycle. The problem?
It sags. The attachment is just a loop around the handlebar, with
a velcro to hold the loop together.

The only reason it stays up at all is it rests on the center pull cable.

I don't like this method. Long while back, I had a bag with a metal
frame, loop, thingy. That worked good.

I decided to improve my present bag or get a new bag.

When I looked on net, the Arkel handlebar bag jumped out.
I like the light aluminum attachment .. I am wondering whether the
bag will interfear with my shifter cables as the cables come off the
shifter in the direction of the bag.

The cost is pretty high though.

With all this in mind ..

Do ya have a recommendation for a handlebar bag?

What one do you use?

How about a way to add more support to a sagging bag?

Any help?

Old October 17th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

I have a handlebar bag on one bike. It is mounted on a small rack
bolted to the fork crown and fork legs, placing it low enough to almost
eliminate its effect on handling and keeping it out of the way of the
cables. I think this is the best way to mount a handlebar bag.

On another bike I have a Carradice Nelson longflap saddle bag or a
Baggins Hoss, depending on how much carrying capacity I need. For
heavier loads, I prefer a saddlebag.
Old October 17th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
David Horwitt

Clyde Henpecker wrote:

Do ya have a recommendation for a handlebar bag?

What one do you use?

I have an Arkel 'small' bag, which I like very much. It isn't
particularly light, or cheap, but it's well made with a sturdy
attachment system. My previous bags had 'KlickFlix' attachments,
and I found that the plastic 'U' retainer rings would become sun-damaged
and crack.

I have drop handlebars with barcons and have no problem with cable
interference. My headlight is mounted on the fork crown, and just
clears the bottom of the h-bag (it's an IQ Fly, fairly tall).

The only thing I dislike about the Arkel bag design is the lack of an inside
pocket; I solved this by pinning a small (8" x 5") Eagle Creek zippered
bag to the inside of the top of the h-bag.

DH

Old October 18th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
cmcanulty

Nashbars lg bag uses the old Cannondale plastic clamp with quick
release

Old October 19th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Clyde Henpecker

"David Horwitt" wrote in message
Clyde Henpecker wrote:

Do ya have a recommendation for a handlebar bag?

What one do you use?

I have an Arkel 'small' bag, which I like very much. It isn't
particularly light, or cheap, but it's well made with a sturdy
attachment system. My previous bags had 'KlickFlix' attachments,
and I found that the plastic 'U' retainer rings would become sun-damaged
and crack.

I have drop handlebars with barcons and have no problem with cable
interference. My headlight is mounted on the fork crown, and just
clears the bottom of the h-bag (it's an IQ Fly, fairly tall).

The only thing I dislike about the Arkel bag design is the lack of an
inside
pocket; I solved this by pinning a small (8" x 5") Eagle Creek zippered
bag to the inside of the top of the h-bag.

DH

========

DH .. thanks for the info.

I stopped by a bicycle shop yesterday and took a look at the Topeak Small
Handle bar bag.
It isn't super big, ok with me. It has a kinda neat connection [
neg;plastic],, but all and all
kinda cool.. can get it on Amazon for $32 I think.. with free ship.. Was
$40 at the LBS.

Old October 20th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

You might want to consider a 'Bento box' too. Sits on the top tube,
velcro straps that hold it to the top tube and head tube. smaller, but
holds key equipment in a very handy spot.
Old October 22nd 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Garry Lee

Arkel not a good idea.

Not waterproof.

You need a waterproof bag.

I have an Agu (not waterproof) camera handlebar bag which I use for
cameras, an old large Ortlieb in a size which is no longer available,
and a Vaude waterproof one. Klickfix. Klickfix is great. All my
friends (we are all cycletourists) use Klickfix.

Handlebar Idea Question fluxusmaximus Unicycling 6 May 8th 08 02:45 PM
handlebar question xzzy Techniques 4 April 24th 08 05:22 PM
Handlebar question PrepressIT Techniques 42 December 8th 05 12:34 AM
Handlebar Shim Question Jim Edgar Techniques 2 July 29th 03 02:37 PM
Handlebar Question Chickenbomb Mountain Biking 2 July 11th 03 10:08 PM