2 plead not guilty in slaying of cyclist

Old December 15th 05, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2 plead not guilty in slaying of cyclist

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/13393659.htm

Posted on Tue, Dec. 13, 2005

2 plead not guilty in slaying of cyclist
By JOHN SHULTZ

The Kansas City Star

The two young men accused of gunning down a bicyclist Thanksgiving week
pleaded not guilty in Jackson County court Monday to first-degree murder.

Bond for each of the accused, Rapheal L. Willis and Fabian D. Brown Jr.,
has been set at $500,000. Willis had initially been held without bond.

Brown, 20, and Willis, 19, are both charged with first-degree murder and
armed criminal action in the slaying of Robert W. Osborn, 43. Osborn was
at 47th Street and Blue Ridge Boulevard riding his bike home from his
job when someone fired a shotgun at his head.

According to court records, authorities allege that the two men were
driving in the area and killed Osborn because they were bored.

They stopped their car, the state alleges, and fired at Osborn as he
passed. After the shot missed, they drove ahead of him, got out and hid
behind a tree. Brown then allegedly stepped out and shot Osborn in the
back of the head.

Brown’s attorney, Harold Holliday III, said outside the courtroom Monday
that there had been a rush to judgment against his client.

“I don’t see anything to indicate that he was even at the scene other
than the statement of the co-defendant,” he said.

Willis’ attorney declined to comment.

Brown drew the ire of Osborn’s relatives in attendance Monday by
pointing and grinning at an acquaintance in the front row.

“He was giggling,” said Osborn’s brother, Ron Osborn. “I do not take the
court system lightly. I fail to see the humor in my brother’s death.”

Osborn’s family has started a movement to make the city safer. Their
efforts and a memorial to Robert Osborn can be found at
www.robertosborn.org .

To reach John Shultz, call (816) 234-4427 or send e-mail to
.

Why SMIDSYs happen Tony Raven UK 104 October 30th 05 02:36 PM
Cyclist down, motorists throw abuse EuanB Australia 38 August 3rd 05 12:53 PM
Cyclist killed, driver cited for going too fast John General 45 October 19th 04 05:13 AM
Cyclist vs Motorist: Court find Both At Fault K.A. Moylan Australia 14 June 19th 04 12:15 PM
CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY Tom Keats General 19 August 13th 03 08:37 AM