2 people, 2 bikes and a 700 sqft apartment

Old May 12th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2 people, 2 bikes and a 700 sqft apartment

Ok, I did a search on this group looking for bike storage solutions,
but didn't find anything (other than that eliminate the furniture
post) that could prove useful. Basically, dh and I each have bikes
and no place to put them (I mean, other than in the kitchen, but that
means we can't get in there). We are interested in those bike racks
that lean against the wall (gravity racks?) or some other similar
situation. Basically, we can't really mount something to the walls or
ceiling, a la the hooks, and are searching for something. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Anne

Old May 12th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Bill Sornson" wrote: Sell your dining room table (or bed) and put the
bikes there. Eat standing
up in the kitchen like God intended.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO, NO, NO! God intended you to eat while sitting on your bicycles.

I take it that you are not allowed to drive nails or screws in the walls.
Leaning shelves sound like a solution, but they may not work with bicycles,
'cause the distance from the wall to the center of gravity of the bikes may
be too great, making them tippy. How about a pole that expands, putting
pressure on floor and ceiling, and hanging the bikes from that? How about
turning your bed into a sort of four-poster, with the bikes on top? How
about a couple of hooks in the shower?

Old May 12th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"Bill Sornson" wrote: Sell your dining room table (or bed) and put the
bikes there. Eat standing
up in the kitchen like God intended.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO, NO, NO! God intended you to eat while sitting on your bicycles.

He intended us to eat our tomato sandwiches while
standing over the stainless steel kitchen sink.

In fact, that's what stainless steel kitchen sinks
where created for.

Jelly donuts are best eaten while standing, too.

And hot dogs. Especially if there's somebody standing
in front of you.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 12th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alex Colvin

Ok, I did a search on this group looking for bike storage solutions,

I suppose switching to something like a folding bike is out?
Is there a bike equivalent to renting a parking space?

I have a 750 square foot house, but it's just me, so there's plenty of
room for the bikes once I got rid of the bed.

--
mac the naïf
Old May 12th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Alex Colvin" wrote: (clip) so there's plenty of
room for the bikes once I got rid of the bed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know, I think there may be a market for a four-poster bed/bikerack.

Old May 12th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Reid Priedhorsky

On Sat, 12 May 2007 05:11:55 +0000, me wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2007 20:28:53 -0700, wrote:

Ok, I did a search on this group looking for bike storage solutions,
but didn't find anything (other than that eliminate the furniture
post) that could prove useful. Basically, dh and I each have bikes
and no place to put them (I mean, other than in the kitchen, but that
means we can't get in there). We are interested in those bike racks
that lean against the wall (gravity racks?) or some other similar
situation. Basically, we can't really mount something to the walls or
ceiling, a la the hooks, and are searching for something. Any advice
is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Anne

Nashbar has a few different racks that will take 2 or 4 bikes.
free-standing and spring loaded.

I've also seen stuff at "Storables" brick-and-mortar stores.

Personally, I'd hesitate to buy any freestanding or leaning solution
sight-unseen without someone endorsing that specific model. Sounds tippy
to me.

Another idea: how strict is this no-holes-in-the-wall rule? Can you take a
"what the landlord doesn't know won't hurt him" approach?

Finally, I stored 1 person and 1 bike in 250 square feet, so it can be
done.

Good luck,

Reid
Old May 12th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

performance sells a rack stand that accomodates 2 bikes below and 2
bikes on top. About $70 AFAIR. Actually, I have one that I don't use
and that I could give away for a fraction of the price. I am in the
bay area.

Famous People Who Cycle Folding Bikes? [email protected] UK 4 February 28th 07 08:17 PM
Bikes for very fat people Colin UK 30 July 27th 06 06:21 PM
So many bikes, so many people, America exercises. Maggie General 68 April 14th 05 10:32 PM
Getting more people out on their bikes Wild Wind UK 32 June 14th 04 09:21 AM
Bikes For Fat People [email protected] Techniques 8 September 16th 03 01:43 AM