Cleats - multi release or standard?

Old November 6th 03, 08:35 PM
Tom

Default Cleats - multi release or standard?

I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?

What the difference between them?

Cheers,
Tom

Old November 6th 03, 08:39 PM
Sorni

"Tom" wrote in message
.. .
I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?

What the difference between them?

Back when I used SPD's, I much preferred the standard cleats. The multi's
felt too mushy to me (no definite "click" in)...

Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.

Old November 6th 03, 09:40 PM
David

"Tom" wrote in message .. .
I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

What kind of pedals do you have? While the cleats need to fit your shoes,
they really "go with" (and come with) your pedals. If you get Shimano pedals
that fit those two cleats, they'll probably come with single release. Switch if you
want. A google groups search will turn up a lot of discussion of this in the past.

Old November 6th 03, 09:44 PM
FlyingCoyote

: Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.
:

Times, all the way.

XC Racing bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Cyclocross bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Singlesped = Time Z's.

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

Old November 6th 03, 10:59 PM
John Morgan

I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

What kind of pedals do you have? While the cleats need to fit your shoes,
they really "go with" (and come with) your pedals. If you get Shimano

pedals
that fit those two cleats, they'll probably come with single release.

Switch if you
want. A google groups search will turn up a lot of discussion of this in

the past.

Agreed. If you have Shimano pedals already and are just in need of cleats,
I recommend you buy the standard single-release cleats. There is plenty of
info about it here in this FAQ:

http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt

-John Morgan

Old November 6th 03, 11:26 PM
jack

"FlyingCoyote" wrote in message

: Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.
:

Times, all the way.

XC Racing bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Cyclocross bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Singlesped = Time Z's.

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

For road bikes, I prefer Speedplays X series which would be equivalent to
single release. Don't like to accidently unclip in a final road sprint.
For mountain bikes, I'd prefer multi release so that I could bail from the
bike quicker.

Nowadays, I prefer Flats.

Flats Rule!!!!

Old November 7th 03, 11:54 AM
Zilla

"Tom" wrote in message
.. .
I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?

What the difference between them?

Cheers,
Tom

With the SH-51 single-release cleats, you have to twist your heel outwards
to unclip.
With the SH-55 multi-release, you can twist your foot any which way (as the
name implies)
to unclip.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old November 7th 03, 06:22 PM
Mike Sparling

Tom asks:
I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?

What the difference between them?

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else (although I am sure it is in one of
the FAQ's listed.)
The differences between the two type of cleats is both in how you release
and in the float provided by the cleat. The single-release cleats have 6
degrees or so (if memory serves) of float, while the multi-release cleats
have no float at all - which enables them to release from multiple
positions.

HTH,
Mike

Old November 11th 03, 06:12 PM
John Morgan

What the difference between them?

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else (although I am sure it is in one

of
the FAQ's listed.)
The differences between the two type of cleats is both in how you release
and in the float provided by the cleat. The single-release cleats have 6
degrees or so (if memory serves) of float, while the multi-release cleats
have no float at all - which enables them to release from multiple
positions.

Both cleats have a 10 degree release angle, and neither have any float.
The multi-release just offer three methods of release instead of just one.

-John Morgan