Should be part of our driving license

Old April 30th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Should be part of our driving license

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 1:09:26 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 12:49:14 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

If you showed cyclists the stupid **** done by drivers, I dare say very
few would be surprised.

Then when they are nabbed bang to rights, they bleat about how UNFAIR it all is!
No change there then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-cameras.html

Isn't that how variable speed limits are supposed to work?
Slow down traffic approaching the congestion to give it chance to clear.
Old April 30th 18, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 11:08:54 AM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/04/2018 11:00, colwyn wrote:

Lorry drivers forced to watch film of cyclist crushed to death
Kaya Burgess
April 30 2018, 12:01am,
The Times
Law

An HGV driver stands in the flat of a dead cyclist moments after seeing
him crushed to death by a lorry. The driver meets the man’s daughter,
now without a father, before being hauled in to a police interview room..

The lorry driver is real. The cyclist, daughter and interrogator are
actors. The furnished flat and interrogation room are part of an
expensive set built for an immersive theatre experience that will train
4,000 drivers working on London’s “super-sewer” construction project.

Tideway, the company behind the 15-mile Thames Tideway Tunnel to upgrade
the Victorian sewer system, has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds on
training to save the lives of cyclists.

HGVs account for about half the deaths and injuries of cyclists in
cities despite making up 5 per cent of traffic. Construction lorries
pose the greatest risk. A total of 12,000 Tideway workers have already
been through a form of immersive theatre training and a special module
for lorry drivers was launched this year.

Two years into the project, which will involve 140,000 lorry trips by
its end in 2023, there have been no deaths and no serious injuries, with
an “accident frequency rate” lower than that of the Olympic Park and
Crossrail projects.

The course, called Epic, was designed by the Active Training Team (ATT)
company, which employs actors to provide health and safety training that
throws participants into a live drama and asks them to react to
unfolding events.

When lorry drivers attend, they are ushered into a canteen for
breakfast. They overhear two fellow drivers discussing an urgent job
that they feel pressured to take, even though one has a faulty lorry and
the other has worked too many hours.

They also see footage of a man kissing his wife and newborn baby before
heading off on his bicycle. They hear a news report that a cyclist has
been killed by a lorry. Graphic footage in which a cyclist is crushed
under an HGV is shown to the course. The drivers then enter an area
which recreates a flat, the same one where the cyclist kissed his family
goodbye. One driver is then led into what turns out to be a police
interview room. The others watch as the driver is asked about the
conversations they overheard as part of a mock investigation into the
death.

They also see footage of a cyclist’s baby growing into a young woman who
then enters the flat to describe what it was like growing up without a
father. “It has a profound effect,” said Adam Christopher, director of
ATT, adding: “Once a week someone needs to go to our ‘quiet room’
because they are upset by what they’ve seen.”

Steve Hails, director of health, safety and wellbeing for Tideway, said:
“One accident at any point during the project would be one too many.
This applies at all our construction sites, offices and along London’s
roads.” Dermot Kerrigan, co-director at ATT, hoped the innovative
approach would be a “game changer” for construction safety.

Pity is that cyclists do not have to gain a licence to use the roads,

Why should cyclists have to gain a licence to use roads they have a RIGHT to use?

they could watch similar stuff and realise the stupid **** that causes
cyclists to get squashed.

When a cyclist is squashed by a subsidised vehicle it is almost always the 'drivers' fault.

Old April 30th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 3:03:47 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

Why should cyclists have to gain a licence to use roads they have a RIGHT to use?

Quite right - joggers, horse riders, ramblers and sheep and cattle drovers don't need one either.
Old April 30th 18, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 3:03:47 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

Why should cyclists have to gain a licence to use roads they have a RIGHT to use?

When I was at BP, the site fire engine could be driven on a PUBLIC road with no HGV licence, "road tax" or insurance.

I was 100% legal cycling up the lane next to an unlicenced truck!
Old April 30th 18, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 9:01:05 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

Horse riders are pedestrians?

When a typical 'law abiding' motorist encounters a horse to they sound their horn and try to ram the horse off the road whilst telling the rider they don't pay road tax and should get on the bridleway?

If they drive behind the Boxing Day Hunt and try that, they may get dragged from their tin box, horse whipped and devoured by starving hounds.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcDouqWWsAEbQ_3.jpg
Old April 30th 18, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 30/04/18 19:01, MrCheerful wrote:

all the other categories you mention are pedestrians, cyclists are
vehicle users.

I have a copy of the first Highway Code. There is a paragraph headed "To
drivers of horse drawn vehicles" And another headed "Drivers of vehicles
and cyclists". (I am sure most people can understand what that means,
despite the grammar.) In the section headed "To Drivers of Motor
Vehicles (Including Motor Cyclists)" it refers to "... your vehicle" and
in the section headed "To cyclists" it refers to "... your cycle".
Old May 1st 18, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 30/04/2018 23:53, TMS320 wrote:

On 30/04/18 19:01, MrCheerful wrote:

all the other categories you mention are pedestrians, cyclists are
vehicle users.

I have a copy of the first Highway Code. There is a paragraph headed "To
drivers of horse drawn vehicles" And another headed "Drivers of vehicles
and cyclists". (I am sure most people can understand what that means,
despite the grammar.) In the section headed "To Drivers of Motor
Vehicles (Including Motor Cyclists)" it refers to "... your vehicle" and
in the section headed "To cyclists" it refers to "... your cycle".

So obviously, a bicycle isn't a vehicle.

Or do you think the phrase "your vehicle" may have been used in order to
obviate the need for a list of possible motor vehicle types at every
iteration?

"...your motor-car, omnibus, motor-van, lorry, charabanc, tractor,
road-roller, steam-roller, steam traction-engine or (as the case may be)
any other sort of motor vehicle..."?