Intentionally Smoked by a Diesel?

Old September 21st 04, 03:36 AM
David Newman

Default Intentionally Smoked by a Diesel?

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face? When was the first time it
happened to you?

This happened to me three times in the last month, and it had never
happened to me before, nor had I ever heard of it happening before. So
I'm curious if this is something that the diesel-pickup-driving
low-lifes have just recently discovered, or have I just been fortunate
to have avoided it until now.

Dave

Old September 21st 04, 03:46 AM
Jeff Goble

"David Newman" wrote in message

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face? When was the first time it
happened to you?

This happened to me three times in the last month, and it had never
happened to me before, nor had I ever heard of it happening before. So
I'm curious if this is something that the diesel-pickup-driving
low-lifes have just recently discovered, or have I just been fortunate
to have avoided it until now.

Dave

I had never thought about being intentionally smoked by a diesel. Perhaps
it has happened? I do know that I hate being suffocated in the exhaust
everytime a diesel truck drives by. It's worse now that so many people are
buying diesel pickups or suv's for no good reason. They should be made
illegal. But at least they don't spew clouds of black smoke like the
commercial trucks.

Jeff

Old September 21st 04, 03:57 AM
di

"Jeff Goble" wrote in message
k.net...

I had never thought about being intentionally smoked by a diesel. Perhaps
it has happened? I do know that I hate being suffocated in the exhaust
everytime a diesel truck drives by. It's worse now that so many people

are
buying diesel pickups or suv's for no good reason. They should be made
illegal. But at least they don't spew clouds of black smoke like the
commercial trucks.

Jeff

Why should they be made illegal, just because you don't like them? Most
buy them for their economy and hauling power which is a very good reason if
you depend on a truck for your work or trailer towing.

Old September 21st 04, 04:04 AM
Bill Baka

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:36:57 -0600, David Newman wrote:

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face? When was the first time it
happened to you?

This happened to me three times in the last month, and it had never
happened to me before, nor had I ever heard of it happening before. So
I'm curious if this is something that the diesel-pickup-driving
low-lifes have just recently discovered, or have I just been fortunate
to have avoided it until now.

Dave

Just happened to me on my Saturday ride. The guy had his compression brake
on
to slow down for me but then hit full throttle as soon as he got next to
me.
I think it was an attempt to scare me but it was just loud and sooty.
Score one for the asshole semi drivers.
Bill Baka

Old September 21st 04, 05:19 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:36:57 -0600,
,
David Newman wrote:

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face?

"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by
incompetence."

They may simply have altered their speed to maneuver around you and
then accelerated after they passed.

Were they looking for your reaction the way hog herding poseurs do
after they deliberately backfire?
--
zk
Old September 21st 04, 09:34 AM
Fx199

It's worse now that so many people are
buying diesel pickups or suv's for no good reason

Wow, just wild ass speculation there?
Old September 21st 04, 01:37 PM
Paul Cassel

David Newman wrote:

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face? When was the first time it
happened to you?

This happened to me three times in the last month, and it had never
happened to me before, nor had I ever heard of it happening before. So
I'm curious if this is something that the diesel-pickup-driving
low-lifes have just recently discovered, or have I just been fortunate
to have avoided it until now.

I'm unsure of intention, but even on best behavior, these vile polluters
should be tighly regulated to be no more noxious than typical autos.

That the EPA has ignored these is, IMO, another sign if its corruption.
Supposedly, we'll get new regs in 2006, but that won't affect the
millions of these smog generators still fouling up our roads.

-paul (in disgust)

--
paul DOT cassel aT
gMail dot COM
Old September 21st 04, 01:51 PM
Don DeMair

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by
incompetence."

They may simply have altered their speed to maneuver around you and
then accelerated after they passed.

Were they looking for your reaction the way hog herding poseurs do
after they deliberately backfire?
--
zk

Or a slightly more poetic version: "don't attribute to malevolence, that
which can be easily explained by ignorance"

I've also noticed that many motorists (diesel or gas) tend to accelerate as
they pass. I've always assumed that most (not necessarily all) had slowed
slightly to asses the situation and are merely trying to resume their
previous speed.

-Don

Old September 21st 04, 02:06 PM
Curtis L. Russell

wrote:

An informal survey: how many of you have had a driver of a diesel pickup
truck intentionally manipulate the engine so as to produce a huge cloud
of black diesel exhaust right in your face? When was the first time it
happened to you?

Since most semis that I've seen run stacks, I'd have to grow a few
feet to get it right in my face. Most of the stacks leave the smoke
floating 20 feet in the air before dispersing.

Diesel pickups may be a different issue, but most seem to be purchased
from the exact opposite of the familiar pickup caricature here on the
bike lists. Haven't seen any of them do anything but follow the law
pretty sedately, even the couple that appeared to be going to a
barbecue contest last weekend - fully equipped with their stainless
steel pits on the back.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...