YAY - Chicago treating criminal bicyclists same as criminal drivers

Old July 25th 05, 04:13 AM
Bill Henry

Default YAY - Chicago treating criminal bicyclists same as criminal drivers

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Bicyclists not free to ride as they please
A police crackdown in the city's Lakeview neighborhood carries a
warning: Traffic laws that apply to cars also apply to bikes.

Yippee. Finally Chicago is taking a tough stand on these criminals.

Old July 25th 05, 05:39 AM
maxo

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:13:18 -0500, Bill Henry wrote:

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Bicyclists not free to ride as they please A police crackdown in the
city's Lakeview neighborhood carries a warning: Traffic laws that apply
to cars also apply to bikes.

Yippee. Finally Chicago is taking a tough stand on these criminals.

I suspect sarcasm. :P

I've ridden through Lakeview more times than I could possibly remember,
and I don't remember too many idjuts on bikes, though perhaps the numbers
have increased (I've not been back in three years).

I'm all for warnings and $20 symbolic fines for wrong-way and sidewalk
riders. The red light thing I'm not so sure about. It's a virtual Chicago
institution for cyclists to treat lights as stop signs. I'm not saying
it's right, but it's the only traffic law I broke regularly cycling there
as starting with the motor cars and jockeying around, though legal, seemed
even more dangerous. Needs to be done with a bit of horse sense though.

They've cracked down on sidewalk riding up on North Sheridan for ages, and
the funny part is--the road is truly a menace for even experienced
cyclists, and the sidewalk is very wide and sparsely populated. I always
used the road up there, but when I saw a cyclist on the sidewalk,
something that usually bugs the crap out of me, I totally understood. Zero
shoulder and very narrow lanes.

Old July 26th 05, 03:54 PM
jj

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:05:36 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

And although I ride bike,
I don't wanna get in your way, and I like it when
you don't get in mine. We can get along quite nicely.
After all, we're all just human beans. Sometimes we
do real good, and sometimes we have brain-farts and
we unintentionally screw up. Forgiveness &
understanding works good. I dunno. I've seen a lot
of rotten behaviours from people on bikes, and people
in cars. But I've seen a lot of of nice behaviours
from people, too. There /is/ hope for humanity :-)

(Uh, do you realize you're cross-posting to about 5 other groups, Tom? Just
wondered ...)

Anyway...I was riding some suburban back roads on Sunday and came up over a
rise leading to a nice downhill to a four-way stop. In front of me was
another hill that went up to a dead end.

At the four-way stop you can only get a bird's-eye view of the run-up to
the other roads from where I was - I could see for several hundred yards on
all three roads.

So I decide, since it's near the end of my ride to just accelerate down
this hill and up the other one, kind of give myself a whoop-de-doo. Mind
you it was a Sunday afternoon and nobody was in sight except this guy
behind me a few dozen yards.

What does he do? He leans on the horn as I zoom through my stopsign and I
look in the mirror, wondering what the problem was. Well he gets down to
the four-way and he runs the stop himself, turning right.

Maybe he was celebrating with me, but I doubt it. What's the big problem -
especially since he ran the sign himself. Sheesh.

jj

Old July 26th 05, 10:04 PM
Dane Jackson

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

OK, then read the RFCs, noting in particular the meaning of the sigsep
(-- ). It is an actual problem, not just a nitpick.

OE-QuoteFix will sort out this little problem for you at no cost.

Now now, if he's content to make his messages nigh unto unreadable
to the general populace, we should let him. Of course, he might get
a bit lonely with noone answering him or taking him seriously.

P.S. I managed to resist posting a signature from alt.fan.warlord
as a reponse, but managed to resist. Barely.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"I was under medication when I made the decision to burn
Old July 27th 05, 05:46 AM
Tom Keats

wrote:

And although I ride bike,
I don't wanna get in your way, and I like it when
you don't get in mine. We can get along quite nicely.
After all, we're all just human beans. Sometimes we
do real good, and sometimes we have brain-farts and
we unintentionally screw up. Forgiveness &
understanding works good. I dunno. I've seen a lot
of rotten behaviours from people on bikes, and people
in cars. But I've seen a lot of of nice behaviours
from people, too. There /is/ hope for humanity :-)

(Uh, do you realize you're cross-posting to about 5 other groups, Tom? Just
wondered ...

Yeah, I don't care. It's nice to have people to listen to
and talk with.

Anyway...I was riding some suburban back roads on Sunday and came up over a
rise leading to a nice downhill to a four-way stop. In front of me was
another hill that went up to a dead end.

At the four-way stop you can only get a bird's-eye view of the run-up to
the other roads from where I was - I could see for several hundred yards on
all three roads.

So I decide, since it's near the end of my ride to just accelerate down
this hill and up the other one, kind of give myself a whoop-de-doo. Mind
you it was a Sunday afternoon and nobody was in sight except this guy
behind me a few dozen yards.

What does he do? He leans on the horn as I zoom through my stopsign

Ya horrible scofflaw, ya ;-)

and I
look in the mirror, wondering what the problem was.

That's just his way of saying: "You're not a car!"

Well he gets down to
the four-way and he runs the stop himself, turning right.

Suppose you had come to a complete, foot-down stop, and
the driver was right behind you. I bet he'd have been
fuming, 'cuz you would have been "in his way", and you'd
still have gotten honked-at. Ya just can't win. Of course
if you left him room to eke by on your right so he could
hang his right turn, that might have had an apeasing effect.
OTOH if it's a narrow street, you don't want to be too
close to the middle, or you could get clobbered by drivers
coming off the cross-street. So I'm not finding fault with ya
at all; not by a long-shot. And if you did position yourself
on the road like that, chances are he'd decide he wants to
turn "left", just so he could /still/ complain about you being
in the way. And he wouldn't signal his turn until you're already
committed to your position on the street; in his mind he might
convince himself he had his turn signal on all along, and you
just inconsiderately decided to veer in front of him regardless.
Your anecdote is just another familiar occurrence in the life of
an urban cyclist. It's just razmatazz we have to live with.
Water off a duck's back.

Maybe he was celebrating with me, but I doubt it. What's the big problem -
especially since he ran the sign himself. Sheesh.

At least no skin was peeled off anyone's teeth.

Maybe in a fit of sudden anger he'll run-over some curb-hugging,
timidly-riding, letter-of-the-law-abiding rider, to get even
with you. That's why we cyclists must be ticketed for every
crummy li'l infraction we commit. It's for our own good. And
more importantly, it pleases the cagers, to whom we, as inferior
road users, must suck-up, or else they'll kill us like dogs in
the street.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 27th 05, 11:06 AM
Chuck

On 2005-07-27, Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"Conservative Ideals" writes:
OK, so you're not all that bright - Outhouse Express is a terrible
newsreader.

It does everything I need it to, and it's free.

FWIW your prefixed .sig doesn't bother me in the least.
But then, I can't be bothered with being picayunely
condescending & critical.

Carry on as per normal, and I wish you and everybody else
a most pleasant day, in which everything goes right.

I guess cycling has mellowed my own (non-Microsoft) outlook.

What's the matter? Don't like uncle Bill and his computer tax?

cheers, & good vibes to all,
Tom