AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 22nd 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B Slocomb

Default AG: Changing Seasons

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:55:34 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 22/11/2018 8:32 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 10:00:25 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
Had an early-morning follow-up exam today. Yesterday, knowing that
I'd leave the office a bit earlier than I usually get off when I go on
a ride, I packed the bike for a dump tour. Forgot to fill my water
bottles, but one was full and I filled the other at the hospital after
dumping a couple of magazines in the emergency room.

Back when I rode in near-zero weather, I used to blow into my bottles
instead of squeezing them, to keep ice from clogging my valve. Today
one of my bottles was too stiff to squeeze even though the temperature
was above freezing most of the time.

I just realized that there are three reasons I no longer go out when
the water freezes in my bottle. All these years I've been thinking
that it's partly because of all these years and mostly because I live
on a side street instead of on a state road that I shared with three
snowplow garages, two schools, two fire stations, one sheriff's
sub-station, the county dispatcher, and an ambulance squad.

While writing the...

The season prematurely changed here in Ottawa. It looks as if the snow is here to stay until March and the temperatures are to drop to -20C tomorrow--and that's not including wind chill.
--

Same thing here in Montreal. Seems like the shortest autumn in memory.
Looks like we're into full blown winter.

A friend in Hungary e-mailed me on the 18th, "we had snow overnight.
Even the old folks can't remember it ever snowing this early".