A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another nasty holiday season on RBT

Old January 23rd 19, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster

Default Another nasty holiday season on RBT

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 22:57:47 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/21/2019 7:32 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 19:25:14 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/21/2019 6:18 PM, AMuzi wrote:

[sigh] I miss WordStar

Not me. I'm a lot more modern! I use WordPerfect! ;-)

I'm not sure how "modern" that is.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. My kid claims I'm the last person on
earth still using WordPerfect.

But I like it!

I maintain my Web sites with PC-Write. I have to keep an obsolete
computer to run it on.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Ads
Old January 23rd 19, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]
external usenet poster

Am 23.01.2019 um 00:41 schrieb news18:
and have been a STANDARD since they were invented in 1978 by
Kernihan and Richie.

They were not and there were other more significant languages. In any
case, has C surplanted COBOL yet.

Yes it has; the market for new COBOL programmers is non-existent since
approx year 2000.
Typical example is when my dad retired in 2005, he made sure his
company, a large car manufacturer, replaced their own COBOL programs by
an SAP solution (Kernel RTE programmed in C, business logic in their own
interpreted language 'ABAP').

I have heared similar stories from the large banks as well: retire their
home-grown COBOL solutions and buy standard software from SAP, Oracle or
from the new cloud companies.

Old January 23rd 19, 09:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]
external usenet poster

Am 23.01.2019 um 03:51 schrieb news18:
Cobol is barely used anymore.

Wrong. If I want to wage slave, all I need to do is put Cobol in my
resume and I can choose the project.

This is not a contradiction. COBOL is barely used any more but the
market for new COBOL programmers is even more dried up.

Old January 23rd 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:16:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why don't you inform us what "removeable media" you were speaking of?

It shouldn't have mattered. If you're as smart as you're trying to convince us all that you are, it would have occurred to you.

An 8" floppy disk with a drive larger than the outline of the machine I designed?

Then you could have replied "space limitations precluded the use of any reasonably priced removable media".

I am curious as to why you're talking about things that you don't understand?

You haven't shown anyone here that you have any edge over anyone here grasping due-diligence engineering concepts.

What do you see as difficult in designing and programming lab instruments?
What do you see as difficult in designing and programming standard
communications boards for the International Space Station? What do
you see as difficult in designing and programming liquid and gas chromatographs?

I suppose you might pull things out of your ass to answer those questions, but the _responsible_ response is that those questions can't be answered without reviewing a product requirements document, from which you generate an engineering requirements document. What communications connectivity protocols are required? What resolution is required for the measurement features, is a DSP algorithm required, or will simple DAC/ADC functions suffice? Is it a standalone product or part of a larger system? If the latter, what are the system integration requirements ( communication protocols and/or data handling transfer). Are there industry interoperability requirements? Are there specific industry standards that are required (e.g. FCC, ETSI, hazardous location/IECEx/ATEX, intrinsic safety, functional safety vis IEC 61508/26262)?

We're back at your idea that C programs being more compact than assembly programs.

And we're back to you being clueless, because you already wrote "I compiled it and then quickly rewrote the short program in C++ for Microchip using their compiler and the code from the C++ compiler both worked and took up only 3/4ths the space."

What is plain is that you are not speaking from a point of experience but rather a point of
abstract theory of things that you are completely unfamiliar with.

I picture you as the pointy-haired boss he
https://dilbert.com/strip/2018-10-28

If you cannot do it doesn't mean that it isn't easy for other people.

A good manager isn't afraid to hire someone with more expertise. That's why I've been employed full time for over 40 years, and you've been bounced out of job after job after job. You said it yourself - "the good techs and the ones the chief liked got to stay home". In other words, you suck at your job, and no one likes you. Now that you understand your problem, shouldn't you think about fixing it? or do you simply enjoy being an inept asshole?
Old January 24th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:32:57 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:16:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why don't you inform us what "removeable media" you were speaking of?

It shouldn't have mattered. If you're as smart as you're trying to convince us all that you are, it would have occurred to you.

An 8" floppy disk with a drive larger than the outline of the machine I designed?

Then you could have replied "space limitations precluded the use of any reasonably priced removable media".

I am curious as to why you're talking about things that you don't understand?

You haven't shown anyone here that you have any edge over anyone here grasping due-diligence engineering concepts.

What do you see as difficult in designing and programming lab instruments?
What do you see as difficult in designing and programming standard
communications boards for the International Space Station? What do
you see as difficult in designing and programming liquid and gas chromatographs?

I suppose you might pull things out of your ass to answer those questions, but the _responsible_ response is that those questions can't be answered without reviewing a product requirements document, from which you generate an engineering requirements document. What communications connectivity protocols are required? What resolution is required for the measurement features, is a DSP algorithm required, or will simple DAC/ADC functions suffice? Is it a standalone product or part of a larger system? If the latter, what are the system integration requirements ( communication protocols and/or data handling transfer). Are there industry interoperability requirements? Are there specific industry standards that are required (e.g. FCC, ETSI, hazardous location/IECEx/ATEX, intrinsic safety, functional safety vis IEC 61508/26262)?

We're back at your idea that C programs being more compact than assembly programs.

And we're back to you being clueless, because you already wrote "I compiled it and then quickly rewrote the short program in C++ for Microchip using their compiler and the code from the C++ compiler both worked and took up only 3/4ths the space."

What is plain is that you are not speaking from a point of experience but rather a point of
abstract theory of things that you are completely unfamiliar with.

I picture you as the pointy-haired boss he
https://dilbert.com/strip/2018-10-28

If you cannot do it doesn't mean that it isn't easy for other people.

A good manager isn't afraid to hire someone with more expertise. That's why I've been employed full time for over 40 years, and you've been bounced out of job after job after job. You said it yourself - "the good techs and the ones the chief liked got to stay home". In other words, you suck at your job, and no one likes you. Now that you understand your problem, shouldn't you think about fixing it? or do you simply enjoy being an inept asshole?

I have already seen that you, news and Slocum are all first class bull ****ters that know nothing of what you speak. Removable media in an embedded system IDed you as accurately as a resume. Newsy with his Cobol comments and Slocum with total lies.

There is something really wrong with you three and I have to wonder why you ever came to this group. Did you really think that you could pretend to be knowledgeable about what I did for a living for 50 years and pass it off?
Old January 24th 19, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster

Removable media in an embedded system IDed you as accurately as a resume.

Clueless asswipe, the question I asked was whether your projects OS/applications were embedded _or_ used removable media, but since you laughingly now seem to be claiming that embedded systems _don't _ use removable media......

https://www.delkin.com/blog/understa...emory-systems/
"In embedded systems, space is at a premium, and low power usage is essential. For these systems, non-volatile or persistent storage can be achieved using a removable media source, such as a USB drive, SD card, or CF card, "

http://www.embedded-computing.com/em...ry-systems-101
"Physical size and low power requirements have typically not been a priority for storage systems like fixed-disk or solid-state devices (SSDs). Not so for small embedded systems where size and low power are critical. This persistent storage media is either removable (SD or CF card, or USB flash drive) or non-removable, and its contents should be maintained regardless of the presence of a power source. "

http://datakey.com/downloads/wp/How_...y_WP-REV.A.pdf
"This paper provides engineers with guidance when choosing portable memory devices for use in embedded systems."

Did you really think that you could pretend to be knowledgeable about
what I did for a living for 50 years and pass it off?

You've been a ****up for at _least_ 50 years, and you weren't working on computer systems in 1969. You were a 3rd rate maintinence tech in the airforce (You said it yourself - "the good techs and the ones the chief liked got to stay home").

Besides that, you didn't even seem to realize that floppy disks are reovable media, so yeah, I know way more about what you've claimed to have been doing since whenever you claimed to have been doing it.
Old January 24th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 4:33:54 PM UTC, Zen Cycle wrote:

reovable media

Is this a *******-French name for reusable egg tempera? I always though once the egg yolk and pigment set, it was set for good, unless you screwed up the proportions, and then it turned to powder.

Andre Jute
Maybe not a mayor, but definitely a...
Old January 24th 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 12:08:04 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 4:33:54 PM UTC, Zen Cycle wrote:

reovable media

Is this a *******-French name for reusable egg tempera? I always though once the egg yolk and pigment set, it was set for good, unless you screwed up the proportions, and then it turned to powder.

Andre Jute
Maybe not a mayor, but definitely a...

What is Andre Jute a *******ization of?

(yes, I know, one shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition (thought I would get that in before you get all grammar Weerstandsbeweging on me)).
Old January 24th 19, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:33:51 -0800, Zen Cycle wrote:

Removable media in an embedded system IDed you as accurately as a
resume.

Clueless asswipe, the question I asked was whether your projects
OS/applications were embedded _or_ used removable media, but since you
laughingly now seem to be claiming that embedded systems _don't _ use
removable media.....

"In embedded systems, space is at a premium, and low power usage is
essential. For these systems, non-volatile or persistent storage can be
achieved using a removable media source, such as a USB drive, SD card,
or CF card, "

Going back, there were plenty variations of memory chips. At one stage,
that was how hardware received "code" updates. Using such shouldn't have
been an issue for Tommies Million dollar plus project.
Old January 24th 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 11:36:14 AM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:33:51 -0800, Zen Cycle wrote:

Removable media in an embedded system IDed you as accurately as a
resume.

Clueless asswipe, the question I asked was whether your projects
OS/applications were embedded _or_ used removable media, but since you
laughingly now seem to be claiming that embedded systems _don't _ use
removable media.....

"In embedded systems, space is at a premium, and low power usage is
essential. For these systems, non-volatile or persistent storage can be
achieved using a removable media source, such as a USB drive, SD card,
or CF card, "

Going back, there were plenty variations of memory chips. At one stage,
that was how hardware received "code" updates. Using such shouldn't have
been an issue for Tommies Million dollar plus project.

You with your Cobol who doesn't seem to know that all of those cobol systems were replaced by full systems written by Oracle and the like, and Zen who doesn't understand anything about electronics after claiming to be an EE and Slocum with his being a crew chief on a non-existent aircraft all appear to me to have some wrong with you.

When the Army Air Corp converted to the Air Force all of the ranks were filled by those that stayed in. There WERE no promotions above A2C. So Slocum couldn't have been a crew chief unless he was a leftover from WW II.

Cobol was used to write business systems and those were almost entirely replaced with large company systems written by major corporations. The guts of those programs weren't available for "updating" or modifications. IBM used superwide assembly language instructions and all of the early business systems were written in the assembly language that was almost as effective as higher level languages.

Zen is not an EE. He didn't understand what I was saying in the first place and it hasn't gotten any better. Maybe he's one of those EE's that couldn't hold a job down and now tends bar. I had six of his kind working for me at Tality. With six of them I still had to do about half the hardware design, half the programming and write the entire real time kernel myself. That company went under because I couldn't get any real talent to help.

So again, I'm wondering what the hell you guys are doing on this group. I just got back from a 54 mile ride with 3,000 ft of climbing. The fourth ride of the year and the first one with climbing. There were three climbs at the end totaling about a mile. So I did them in the big ring for luck. Even one little 100 yard section of 11%. 50-23 There's a Café in Sunol and even all of the people working in there know me and say hi. I haven't been there for over two months.

All kinds of people along the way that knew me. One caught up on one of those electric bikes. He told me a story of how the first ride he had done with me was from Half Moon Bay to the lighthouse about 25 miles south. On the way back he couldn't keep up in the coastal winds. I chaperoned the rest of the group back to the starting point and then returned to him with an energy bar and some gu and came back with him.

Another guy was there was with me when I got my concussion. We were all drafting 2 x 2 and I was in the lead. He was behind me and when my fork exploded and dropped me face first into the ground he couldn't stop and ran over me. I like to say that he ran over me and then to make sure came back and ran over me again. That irritates him because it scared hell out of the group since I was knocked out for more than 5 minutes and they all thought that I was dying.

The guys at the local Yacht club that made me a life member for whatever, all cry "Hi Tom" when I come back there.

Seems like the dip-****s are those that prove that they are incapable of doing anything themselves. They haven't got anything better to do than try to build their egos with lies or distortions.