Blue railway signals?

Old December 13th 18, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

Default Blue railway signals?

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 17:14:57 -0000, Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 4:42:40 PM UTC, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it disappeared from Google?

Can anyone remember a time when motorists obeyed traffic lights? Or speed limits?

They're both guides to anyone who can think for themselves. And I'd say too many obey them, especially traffic lights, and especially ones with a pedestrian crossing on a single road (no junction) where all you have to avoid hitting are pedestrians, and you can clearly see they've all crossed and have walked off.
Old December 13th 18, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOTS Alert!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 09:14:57 -0800 (PST), Simon Jester, the notorious,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Can anyone remember a time when motorists obeyed traffic lights? Or speed limits?

You always INSTINCTIVELY feel drawn to him, even if he hides behind a new
nym? Must the the smell of the unwashed ******'s cock that seem to attract
all you braindead seniles! LOL
Old December 13th 18, 06:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 04:40:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

and why has it disappeared from Google?

It hasn't.

Awww, someone belittled one of the monopolists that you adore so much,
senile Rot? LOL

--
Java Jive to senile Rot:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Old December 13th 18, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railwa...nal#Components

and why has it disappeared from Google?

It hasn't.

Blue lights are not mentioned in that link.

BTW, something in the link reminded me of a local accident where the railways had managed to install an overhead gantry of some sort obstructing the view of some lights, so the driver didn't stop. M'colleague took some photos from the driver's cabin of another train as it went on the same route and proved his innocence (as part of his psychology work I think). There's something wrong in the world when a 3rd party has to prove your innocence.
Old December 13th 18, 07:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:02:36 -0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 13/12/2018 16:57, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/12/2018 16:42, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find
any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has
it disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

4 (& 5)-aspect signals have always had red, green and two ambers as far
as I know.

I know that the semaphore signals had lenses that were red and blue, but
they definitely showed as red and green when lit from behind by
yellowish oil lamps at night.

The glass in green traffic signals used to look blue to me - when they
had the dual-filament tungsten lamps.

I've never seen that. What year are you referring to?
Old December 13th 18, 07:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:57:52 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

On 13/12/2018 16:42, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find
any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it
disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

4 (& 5)-aspect signals have always had red, green and two ambers as far
as I know.

I know that the semaphore signals had lenses that were red and blue, but
they definitely showed as red and green when lit from behind by
yellowish oil lamps at night.

It's possible I'm remembering a switched off light. It was 30 years ago. But they were electric lamps - maybe they still used the same lenses? Maybe they had longer lasting yellowish filament bulbs? Road traffic lights at the time were green lenses, with I think a white bulb.
Old December 13th 18, 09:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Mike Humphrey

Fred Johnson wrote:

Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it disappeared from Google?

Railway signals in modern times have always had red, yellow (not
amber) and green. A four-aspect signal has two yellows - the sequence
approaching a stop signal goes G, YY, Y, R. There can be a number of
other indications as well as the main signal but these are almost
invariably white.
There's a number of uses for blue and purple, but not appearing with the
R/Y/G "traffic light" signals, at least in the UK. If you want to look
at the full range of signs and signals, http://www.railsigns.uk/ has a
very comprehensive guide.

Mike

Old December 13th 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Fred Johnson

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:03:57 -0000, Mike Humphrey wrote:

Fred Johnson wrote:

Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways? Can't find any evidence on google. I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green, railways always had a 4th blue light. What does it mean and why has it disappeared from Google?

Railway signals in modern times have always had red, yellow (not
amber)

I've never been fussy enough to even notice the difference between yellow, amber, orange. I could tell the difference if they were side by side, but I just think of a road traffic light as either yellow or orange. I couldn't even tell you what amber colour is compared to yellow and orange. I don't do things like "mauve", etc. Just purple, light purple, etc.

and green. A four-aspect signal has two yellows - the sequence
approaching a stop signal goes G, YY, Y, R. There can be a number of
other indications as well as the main signal but these are almost
invariably white.

I assume this is to allow trains the longer stopping distance they require than road vehicles.

There's a number of uses for blue and purple, but not appearing with the
R/Y/G "traffic light" signals, at least in the UK.

I might be thinking of non "traffic light" signals, or I might be thinking of a light which was off and was just seeing the blue lens which had a yellow light behind to make green.

If you want to look
at the full range of signs and signals, http://www.railsigns.uk/ has a
very comprehensive guide.

That's a lot for a driver to remember! At least with road signs the symbol is meaningful.

I wonder why the red is at the bottom on rail lights and the top on traffic lights?
Old December 13th 18, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:03:57 -0600, Mike Humphrey, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

FLUSH most of the useless troll fodder

If you want to look
at the full range of signs and signals, http://www.railsigns.uk/ has a
very comprehensive guide.

He ONLY wants to see how MANY seniles he gets to take his most idiotic
baits! tsk

Old December 13th 18, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Max Demian

wrote:

On 13/12/2018 16:57, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/12/2018 16:42, Fred Johnson wrote:
Can anybody else remember blue traffic lights on railways?* Can't find
any evidence on google.* I'm sure whereas cars have red/amber/green,
railways always had a 4th blue light.* What does it mean and why has
it disappeared from Google?

Never heard of it.

4 (& 5)-aspect signals have always had red, green and two ambers as far
as I know.

I know that the semaphore signals had lenses that were red and blue, but
they definitely showed as red and green when lit from behind by
yellowish oil lamps at night.

The glass in green traffic signals used to look blue to me - when they
had the dual-filament tungsten lamps.

I've never seen that.* What year are you referring to?

Well, when they used tungsten lamps, not many years ago. It may be just
how the daylight caught the (unlit) lens.

--
Max Demian

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 03:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 01:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM