Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 3rd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
little furry animals are here to stay.

There are two versions of it...

bike:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

and bus:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

or the whole REVOLUTION...

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Old March 4th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Banned

On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954"
wrote:
Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
little furry animals are here to stay.

There are two versions of it...

bike:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

and bus:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

OK, how is the bus not polluting?

Old March 4th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

wrote:

Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
little furry animals are here to stay.

There are two versions of it...

bike:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

and bus:

http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

OK, how is the bus not polluting?

You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
technologies and some political will to make it happen...

Heaven Help Bus
A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future

The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
it works.

The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
pipe: a trickle of water.

http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbo...n-hydrogenbus/

I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
some other technologies out there.

We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

Old March 5th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Baka

wrote:

[...]

Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
Bill Baka
Old March 5th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

[...]

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Old March 5th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"George Conklin" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

[...]

"Who killed the electric car" would be a good movie for this thread.
I will never buy anything from GM. Wusses!

Old March 5th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Baka

George Conklin wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

[...]

Only if nobody rides them. When I was a kid in the Chicago area I could
go anywhere on a weekend with a travel buddy of mine. We took the train
into downtown, then the 'el' ( hard to explain), and over/underground
subway system. Then there were electric trolley buses, and finally
regular buses to get us within walking distance.
And, yes, any one of those modes of transportation sucks fuel big time
if nobody rides them. If they are full they are a good thing. SUV's and
single occupant soccer moms have messed up the equation.
Bill Baka
Old March 5th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Brian Huntley

On Mar 4, 8:33 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Does your proclamation factor in the extra time those cars would be on
the road if each of those morning rush hour transit buses were
replaced by 80-100 cars? Or the fuel cost cars themselves, for that
matter?

And their parking, in terms of distance and time and cost? How's a
fuel cell going to help those things? Heck, a lot of 'efficient' fuel
systems aren't even allowed to park in high-density underground lots.

Transit buses may be inefficient in some places, but in others, like
my downtown, you have to look at the cars and ask "why bother?"

Fastest to slowest in Toronto for distances between 6 and 100 blocks:
Subway, bus, bicycle, streetcar, car. In really bad weather, insert
"pedestrian" between bike and streetcar (up to 50 blocks, anyway.)

Old March 5th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Daryl Hunt

"George Conklin" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

[...]

Not all, I think I read somewhere where a city went to Electrics.

It has removed 3877 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 5th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Doc O'Leary

In article et,
"George Conklin" wrote:

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

That is simply not true. A transit bus is a large mass that experiences
more than average stop-and-go travel. For that kind of use case,
regenerative braking will show bigger gains than it would for your
average highway commuter car.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org