Back pack for cyclists

Old June 26th 05, 06:37 PM
scouselad

Default Back pack for cyclists

Can anyone recommend a decent, *well-ventilated* back-pack, suitable
for a student commuting into uni (about 20 mins) every day? It would
have to be hard-wearing and big enough to carry a couple of A4 folders.

I've found plenty of bags designed for cyclists on websites such as
www.wiggle.co.uk and www.evanscycles.com but few of them have decent
ventilation at the back.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

Old June 26th 05, 06:49 PM
wafflycat

"scouselad" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone recommend a decent, *well-ventilated* back-pack, suitable
for a student commuting into uni (about 20 mins) every day? It would
have to be hard-wearing and big enough to carry a couple of A4 folders.

I've found plenty of bags designed for cyclists on websites such as
www.wiggle.co.uk and www.evanscycles.com but few of them have decent
ventilation at the back.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

Don't go for a backpack to wear whilst riding - all you end up with is a
sweaty back. Much better to use a rear rack & if you don't want to use a
pannier mounted on the rack, do what my son does who commutes a 13-mile each
way cycle ride to college & back - bungee the bag to the rear rack. Saves
getting a sweaty back and is much more comfortable cycling generally.

Also - try a posting on uk.rec.cycling for information & suggestions

Cheers, helen s

Old June 26th 05, 07:57 PM
Dane Jackson

wafflycat waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

Don't go for a backpack to wear whilst riding - all you end up with is a
sweaty back. Much better to use a rear rack & if you don't want to use a
pannier mounted on the rack, do what my son does who commutes a 13-mile each
way cycle ride to college & back - bungee the bag to the rear rack. Saves
getting a sweaty back and is much more comfortable cycling generally.

Another similar option would be to get a pannier/backpack. Though just
bungeeing a backpack to the rear rack is certainly cheaper.

http://arkel-od.com/panniers/backpac...asp?fl=0&site=

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
The connection between the language in which we think/program and the problems
Old June 26th 05, 08:00 PM
Peter Cole

Dane Jackson wrote:
wafflycat waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

Don't go for a backpack to wear whilst riding - all you end up with is a
sweaty back. Much better to use a rear rack & if you don't want to use a
pannier mounted on the rack, do what my son does who commutes a 13-mile each
way cycle ride to college & back - bungee the bag to the rear rack. Saves
getting a sweaty back and is much more comfortable cycling generally.

Another similar option would be to get a pannier/backpack. Though just
bungeeing a backpack to the rear rack is certainly cheaper.

http://arkel-od.com/panniers/backpac...asp?fl=0&site=

I have a milk crate on my rear rack. I throw the backpack into the
crate, put it on when I get there. Cheap, flexible and practical.
Old June 26th 05, 10:48 PM
Bill Sornson

Peter Cole wrote:

I have a milk crate on my rear rack. I throw the backpack into the
crate, put it on when I get there. Cheap, flexible and practical.

Don't judge yourself so harshly.

:-P

Old June 27th 05, 12:22 PM
Peter Cole

Bill Sornson wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

I have a milk crate on my rear rack. I throw the backpack into the
crate, put it on when I get there. Cheap, flexible and practical.

Don't judge yourself so harshly.

:-P

If I were only flexible...
Old June 27th 05, 10:36 PM
Dane Jackson

Peter Cole wrote:
Dane Jackson wrote:
wafflycat waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote:

Don't go for a backpack to wear whilst riding - all you end up with is a
sweaty back. Much better to use a rear rack & if you don't want to use a
pannier mounted on the rack, do what my son does who commutes a 13-mile each
way cycle ride to college & back - bungee the bag to the rear rack. Saves
getting a sweaty back and is much more comfortable cycling generally.

Another similar option would be to get a pannier/backpack. Though just
bungeeing a backpack to the rear rack is certainly cheaper.

http://arkel-od.com/panniers/backpac...asp?fl=0&site=

I have a milk crate on my rear rack. I throw the backpack into the
crate, put it on when I get there. Cheap, flexible and practical.

I've contemplated adding one to my grocery bike, but I've got two
Wald folding baskets on there already. So, really no way to use
all three 'bins' at once. :-\

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"The trouble with getting a life is making the payments."
Old June 26th 05, 06:51 PM
mark

"scouselad" wrote...
Can anyone recommend a decent, *well-ventilated* back-pack, suitable
for a student commuting into uni (about 20 mins) every day? It would
have to be hard-wearing and big enough to carry a couple of A4 folders.

I've found plenty of bags designed for cyclists on websites such as
www.wiggle.co.uk and www.evanscycles.com but few of them have decent
ventilation at the back.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

I use a messenger bag, and keep it fairly low on my back for ventilation and
a lower center of gravity. Easier to get things in and out of the bag, and
the single shoulder carry is easier for walking around. I commute on a bike
with dropped bars, and I don't find a backpack comfortable for that riding
position.

My current bag is a Patagonia Critical Mass, not cheap but comfortable and I
expect it to last for a while. The new version has a sleeve for a laptop and
should hold a few A4 folders and then some.
--
mark

Old June 27th 05, 05:49 PM

I use a messenger bag, and keep it fairly low on my back for ventilation and
a lower center of gravity

That's what I was gonna suggest.... messenger bag
Old June 26th 05, 07:14 PM
Will

scouselad wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent, *well-ventilated* back-pack, suitable
for a student commuting into uni (about 20 mins) every day? It would
have to be hard-wearing and big enough to carry a couple of A4 folders.

Google for Deuter. They have a line of ventilated packs. I have two,
like them a lot.