Knee problems, conflicting diagnosis, MRI

Old March 8th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Default Knee problems, conflicting diagnosis, MRI

Xchequer wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 06:37:23 +0000, Bill Baka wrote:

Xchequer wrote:
quoted text

I had an issue when I was running where my knees had similar pain. It
was so bad that I couldn't bike ride for two years. My doctor said I
had Osteoarthritis.

Huh? How old? Do you drink milk or eat canned sardines for calcium? Try
Tums antacid tablets. Calcium Carbonate. I don't have stomach problems
but the Tums have become like candy to me and great for the bones.

I'm 33 now. When it all started I was 28. I drink about a glass
of milk every other day. After my knees went south and I did some
research I realized I was doing quite a bit wrong.

Xchequer

Unless you had a Calcium deficiency growing up, you can write off
Osteoporosis. Arthritis at your age is really very rare, and hopefully
you can change your life style enough to keep it at bay. Running may
have done it since I have worked with so many runners, and even in their
20's and 30's they were having complaining contests about their legs or
knees. Running is good but jogging is waaay bad. Bicycling is better if
you haven't damaged your knees too badly from running.
When you think there is a benefit to running just think of Jim Fixx.
He wrote the runner's Bible and proceeded to drop dead at 53 while running.
Good luck with all.
Bill Baka
Old March 8th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Xchequer wrote:
quoted text
I had an issue when I was running where my knees had similar pain. It
was so bad that I couldn't bike ride for two years. My doctor said I
had Osteoarthritis.
Huh? How old? Do you drink milk or eat canned sardines for calcium? Try
Tums antacid tablets. Calcium Carbonate. I don't have stomach problems
but the Tums have become like candy to me and great for the bones.

I'm 33 now. When it all started I was 28. I drink about a glass
of milk every other day. After my knees went south and I did some
research I realized I was doing quite a bit wrong.

Xchequer

So you are saying the milk can have something to do? Too much calcium?

Len

Actually, it is pretty hard to get too much calcium. From 30 on up most
people don't get enough, especially women who have kids. That's why I
have the Tums habit and really, really solid bones. My mother had
Arthritis from about 40 on up and her diet had very little Calcium.
Genetics is a big part too. My grandmother had it so bad she took a
whole bottle of sleeping pills in 1950 and ended the pain for good at
68. Fortunately my sister, now almost 72 has no sign or it and I have
nothing at 58, but we are both very active, something my mother and
grandmother were not. Back then it just wasn't cool for women to do
aerobics and sweat, but to 'age gracefully'.
Gracefully doesn't work.
Treat every day as if you are fighting for your life, because you are.
Bill Baka
Old March 8th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

ups.com...
Xchequer wrote:
quoted text

I had an issue when I was running where my knees had similar pain. It
was so bad that I couldn't bike ride for two years. My doctor said I
had Osteoarthritis.

Huh? How old? Do you drink milk or eat canned sardines for calcium? Try
Tums antacid tablets. Calcium Carbonate. I don't have stomach problems
but the Tums have become like candy to me and great for the bones.

I'm 33 now. When it all started I was 28. I drink about a glass
of milk every other day. After my knees went south and I did some
research I realized I was doing quite a bit wrong.

Xchequer

So you are saying the milk can have something to do? Too much calcium?

Len

Tumeric works on osteoarthritis.
One glass of milk/day is childs play I eat cheese, yogurt, milk for my
teeth and preventing osteoporosis.
Read the research on Tum's before you eat any more.
You need Vitamin D or sunshine for it to work. BC lacks the latter.
And acid in the gut to absorb it.
"Poppin like candy" does nothin for ya

Old March 8th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .

Xchequer wrote:
[...]

If Jim Fixx started after a heart attack then it was just too late in life.
Having good elementary school PE programs and non stop active lifestyle is
what
people should have gotten along with the right attitude about health.
Do not expect miracles when you have not worked for it in the first place.
It is a lifetime goal. Not a flash in the pan.

Old March 8th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .
Xchequer wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother Bill. And you are absolutely right
about the social norm. I am 51 and thankfully there was a program called
Participaction in BC in grade school. I have been active ever since.
Being athletic though as a female you still can get alot of negative self
image from people. Just jealous I guess. haha

Old March 8th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
len

Do not expect miracles when you have not worked for it in the first place.
It is a lifetime goal. Not a flash in the pan.

The miracle is to remember each moment that your job and work problems
are much less important than your long term health. It's also a mind
exercise (http://www.len.ro/mind/education) easier in theory than in
practice.

Len

Old March 8th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
len

Today I have seen the 5-th doctor. He was recommended for it's MRI
reading experience and various specializations on this topic. She said
that there are in fact some deterioration signs but there are also
some inflammation. A very wise thing she said is that the MRI is good
for showing some major problems. For unclear on small modifications it
is much better to wait some time and then do a second MRI for
comparison. This way the degeneration can be separated from
particularities of each person.
In conclusion I will try to do some exercises and take anti-
inflammatory while waiting for the sun, heat and second MRI. In the
mean time I also want to start cycling small steps each time. Driving
to the city and using the clutch all the time it's causing lot of pain
also so small cycling rides will not hurt. If there is pain I will
stop. Cannot wait forever in this state. Cycling gives me a degree of
freedom vital for my balance.

Len

Old March 8th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Daryl Hunt

"len" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have a similiar story. But pedaling for miles is out of the question.
Instead, I use a low speed electric bicycle that does require a bit of
pedaling from a dead standstill or up a hill. Sometimes, I just pedal to
pedal. But I have that option where a regular bicycle might do damage to my
left knee over a long period of time.

It has removed 4371 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 9th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

nash wrote:
"len" wrote in message
ups.com...
So you are saying the milk can have something to do? Too much calcium?

Len

Tumeric works on osteoarthritis.
One glass of milk/day is childs play I eat cheese, yogurt, milk for my
teeth and preventing osteoporosis.
Read the research on Tum's before you eat any more.

What? They can be bad for you at about 5 a day?

You need Vitamin D or sunshine for it to work.

Sunshine I get plenty of in the summer since riding topless is my thing.

BC lacks the latter.
And acid in the gut to absorb it.
"Poppin like candy" does nothin for ya

It's only CaCO3.
Bill Baka

Old March 9th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

nash wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .

Xchequer wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I remember something like that. He thought running could reverse
heart damage and just proved it couldn't. I have been pro-active in
exercise and hyper all my life, even back in the 70's when I was a
stoner. A hyperactive stoner, I drove my friends nuts because they would
get wiped out and I would want to get a baseball game together.
I got the munchies like everybody else but burned the calories off.
Better than drinking beer and smoking tobacco.
Bill Baka