What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

Old May 24th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

Default What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

"Joe the Aroma" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 21, 7:09 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 21, 11:46 am, "Amy Blankenship"
wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

roups.com...

On May 20, 8:42 pm, "george conklin" wrote:
wrote in message

st.net...

In article
.net,
says...

Yes, just as the third world is getting rid of such
exploitation
of
workers, NYC is starting up with its hazy visions of great the
past
used
be.

Having ridden pedicabs in New Delhi and in Vancouver, B.C.,
among
other
cities, I wouldn't compare the two labor environments.

If a country doesn't have effective enforcement of worker's
rights,
and
even still has pockets of indentured servitude and slavery, it
could
be
that banning a particular occupation might be the only way to
eliminate
a particular form of exploitation.

I'd have no qualms about "exploiting" a U.S. or Canadian pedicab
operator.

In the third world they view the entire industry as exploiting.
We
should
be ashamed of ourselves bringing the pedicab back. It shows how
morally
bankrupt the New Urbanism is.-

Are you also concerned about the "Made in China" label? I guess we
got
to drop the dollar store then. By the way, some union
representative
was in Asia recently trying to organize labor in China. Free unions
in
a communist country? I believe it when I see it.

He said something that makes sense: "If capitals are globalized,
why
not labor?"

He loves Wal-Mart's low prices. Of _course_ no one is ever exploited
so
we
can have those low prices ;-).

But if I can get a $3.00 product for $2.00; then I have $1.00 to
invest or save or buy something else.

Are you then going to use it to sponsor a Chinese child with World
Vision?
;-)

I have no problem with exported labor. Better to have them working
than wanting to fight us. But I also have no problem with leveling
the playing field. If the US, for example, said that all labor on
goods imported into the US had to pay the equivelent of US minimum
wage, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't bring too many
jobs back here because few people will work for minimum wage, but it
would level the playing field quite a bit. But until that happens,
the world is what the world is.

Welp, you better hope they don't want to fight us after we've exported all
our technology and wealth to them.

Not to mention pollution...

Old May 24th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Joe the Aroma

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

Not to mention pollution...

They've exported plenty to us as well. See the "Asian brown cloud".

Old May 24th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Joe the Aroma" writes:

I have no problem with exported labor. Better to have them working
than wanting to fight us. But I also have no problem with leveling
the playing field. If the US, for example, said that all labor on
goods imported into the US had to pay the equivelent of US minimum
wage, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't bring too many
jobs back here because few people will work for minimum wage, but it
would level the playing field quite a bit. But until that happens,
the world is what the world is.

Welp, you better hope they don't want to fight us after we've exported all
our technology and wealth to them.

They won't have to fight you. They'll just buy you.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 24th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

"Joe the Aroma" wrote in message

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

Not to mention pollution...

They've exported plenty to us as well. See the "Asian brown cloud".

You don't think any of that is because we've outsourced the production of
some of our dirtier industrial processes? They produce a lot of coke (coal
product, not beverage or drug) used in our electric plants, for instance...

Old May 24th 07, 10:59 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Joe the Aroma

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
.. .

"Joe the Aroma" wrote in message

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

Not to mention pollution...

They've exported plenty to us as well. See the "Asian brown cloud".

You don't think any of that is because we've outsourced the production of
some of our dirtier industrial processes? They produce a lot of coke
(coal product, not beverage or drug) used in our electric plants, for
instance...

I absolutely *DO* think and know that. Apparently our polluting industries
are "burdened" by environmental regulations. Free trade necessitates an
international regulatory body which would add another layer of bureaucracy
and is the first step on the road to world government. No thanks.

Old May 24th 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
John Kane

On May 23, 8:33 am, Krzysztof Zietara tarhim
wrote:
On 21 May 2007 16:06:10 -0700, John Kane wrote:

I take it you're quite young ? I seem to remember Solidarity.

You may also remember how it ended up first time around, then.

But the second time? Remember that trade unions in the UK , USA &
IIRC Canada were considered a wild threat to the establishment in the
1800's.

However you have a good point. OTOH free or not Wal-Mart has a union
in China.

The question is, are those unions are just for show or do they really
protect rights of fhe worker.

I don't know but my bet would be mainly just for show. However once
you've got a union foot in the door..

Tarhimdugurth
--
[S1 - za sygnaturkę]

Old May 24th 07, 05:05 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On May 23, 11:28 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Nobody writes:

A pleasant urban environment that doesn't get its citizens
anxiously grinding their teeth in their sleep or coming down
with athsma is also good.

Your personal intentions and aspirations are admirable.. but to expect
two million plus other citizens in Greater Vancouver to follow those
weather-related flagellations is, well, quirky at best.

I don't expect them all to follow those "weather-related
flagellations." I'm just saying: those who wanna ... can.
And it's not that bad. It could be better. It can be
/made/ better. But practical bicycle transportation is
quite do-able right now.

Let's all abandon Mister Ford's automobile, and ride the current
street car ("SkyTrain") and autobus! Hurrah!

Alternative transportation is not regressive.

Fine, but don't expect the Great Majority to hitch their pinnies and
hoops, and clasp a hand on baseball cap while peddling a two-wheeler
across 25km of up hill and down dale in rain and shine amd sleet and
snow and wind and gust.. well, you get the message.

What about the folks who only need to go 10 km or 5 km?

It simply is not practicable (note the use of adjective), either by
wish or function.

It is for me, and for many others.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

I'm glad you enjoy bicycling, but it's not for everyone. Nor is
public transportation. I live in the middle of nowhere, is it's not a
practical alternative for most people. We have a few dedicated
bicyclists around here who bike in all weather, but they are mostly
alcoholics who have lost their licenses.

I don't know if they make rain gear for commuting or not, but if they
don't; go look at some of the motorcyle stuff. It's light, can
withstand buckets of water at high speed, and doesn't look too bad.

Stay well.

Old May 24th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
nash

I'm glad you enjoy bicycling, but it's not for everyone. Nor is
public transportation. I live in the middle of nowhere, is it's not a
practical alternative for most people. We have a few dedicated
bicyclists around here who bike in all weather, but they are mostly
alcoholics who have lost their licenses.

Oh, say yee. What proof do you have foul mouth.
I have only ridden a bike since 8 years old, 44 years. Cept had a
motorcycle for 2 years till somebody trashed it. Anything below 5 miles is
said to be more practical by bike and I agree.
Plus you get fit and do not spend lota time at the doctors.
For some it may not be practical but to say every one else is a drunk
without a license is a troll stamp.

cheers
I bought another motorcycle this May. street legal dirt bike and you get
even worse treatment than a cyclist. Must be the label thingy. I did it
for another hobby and thought the gas would be excellent but the insurance
is murder on these things.

Old May 24th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On May 24, 12:27 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
"Joe the Aroma" writes:

I have no problem with exported labor. Better to have them working
than wanting to fight us. But I also have no problem with leveling
the playing field. If the US, for example, said that all labor on
goods imported into the US had to pay the equivelent of US minimum
wage, I would have a problem with that. It wouldn't bring too many
jobs back here because few people will work for minimum wage, but it
would level the playing field quite a bit. But until that happens,
the world is what the world is.

Welp, you better hope they don't want to fight us after we've exported all
our technology and wealth to them.

They won't have to fight you. They'll just buy you.

Yes, that will be the case if we stagnate. But if we continue to
innovate and stay the world leaders in the things that we want to be
the world leaders in, then it's NBD. As it is, we don't have enough
labor for everything that we need, so why not export low paying, low
skill jobs -- especially ones using low tech.

As for them buying us, that's another issue altogether. The biggest
thing we could do for our future is to get gov't spending under
control and to eliminate our debt.

Old May 24th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Keats

In article .com,
Pat writes:

I'm glad you enjoy bicycling, but it's not for everyone.

I realize that; that's why I'm not suggesting "everyone"
should take up the avocation.

My apologism for transportational cycling is not a
call to "everyone" to convert their cars into potato
planters, and to ride bikes exclusively to get around.
My immediate concern is to rebut erroneous statements
about transportational cycling necessarily being an
impractical hassle. If some folks decide it might be
nice to ride instead of drive for the occasional
milk-&-bread run to the grocery store, or to get to
the library, coffee shop or workplace, that'd be a
pretty good fringe benefit, too. Save yer gas and
money for the longer/heavier hauls. Use the vehicle
that's proportionally appropriate for the task.

Nor is
public transportation. I live in the middle of nowhere, is it's not a
practical alternative for most people.

Actually, most people in the US (and quite possibly in
the whole North American continent) live in urban areas
where transportational bicycling /is/ practical.

We have a few dedicated
bicyclists around here who bike in all weather, but they are mostly
alcoholics who have lost their licenses.

I don't even have a license. I don't even know how
to drive. Never needed to. But I realize I'm not
"everyone." So while I do enjoy the conveniences of
urban life and am well adapted to a carless lifestyle,
I'm certainly not advocating that everyone should be
like me. But if anyone wants to be less car-dependent,
there are folks like me around who can offer some
insight as to how to achieve that.

I don't know if they make rain gear for commuting or not, but if they
don't; go look at some of the motorcyle stuff. It's light, can
withstand buckets of water at high speed, and doesn't look too bad.

Rain gear is in fact available. I generally use a
traditional cycling rain cape over my street clothes.
It's dry and cool at the same time.

Stay well.

You too.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands donquijote1954 General 360 June 12th 07 05:16 PM
American bikes best! yourbuddy General 2 December 21st 05 02:47 AM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America General 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America Rides 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM