What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

Old May 27th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bill

Default What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
Nobody writes:

A pleasant urban environment that doesn't get its citizens
anxiously grinding their teeth in their sleep or coming down
with athsma is also good.

Your personal intentions and aspirations are admirable.. but to expect
two million plus other citizens in Greater Vancouver to follow those
weather-related flagellations is, well, quirky at best.

I don't expect them all to follow those "weather-related
flagellations." I'm just saying: those who wanna ... can.
And it's not that bad. It could be better. It can be
/made/ better. But practical bicycle transportation is
quite do-able right now.

Let's all abandon Mister Ford's automobile, and ride the current
street car ("SkyTrain") and autobus! Hurrah!

Alternative transportation is not regressive.

No, just not wanted by 95%+ of the population.

- B

Old May 27th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bill

Bill wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will we ever see the day when American cities have thousands of
cyclists going up and down the street without unnecessary risks? It's
healthy for you as well as for your pocket and for the environment.

On a per pound basis, cycling generates more greenhouse gases than any just
about any transportation method except walking.

:-)

- B

Yeah,
Maybe, but what about that 3,000+ pounds of steel that is just being
transferred from parking lot to garage and idling tons of CO2 into the
air in a traffic jam? I had to back a trailer for a dump load (real junk
junk) and felt guilty idling the pick me up truck, also full, while they
were trying to clear trees out of my way.
They get 2 full truck passes per year and somehow manage to collect that
much. Many bicycle parts but all 20" or smaller Chinese Wal-mart kids bikes.
On the upside, I was the only one who cycled the 3 miles each way to get
there and was in better shape than the 3 guys who were younger than me
in their early fifties. If I breath out too much CO2 and get healthy and
don't pay nearly $3.75 in California that makes me feel good.
Bill Baka
Old May 27th 07, 08:58 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Bill" writes:

Let's all abandon Mister Ford's automobile, and ride the current
street car ("SkyTrain") and autobus! Hurrah!

Alternative transportation is not regressive.

No, just not wanted by 95%+ of the population.

Where do you get that 595%+ figure from?

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 27th 07, 09:12 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Bill" writes:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will we ever see the day when American cities have thousands of
cyclists going up and down the street without unnecessary risks? It's
healthy for you as well as for your pocket and for the environment.

On a per pound basis, cycling generates more greenhouse gases than any just
about any transportation method except walking.

:-)

The CO2 emitted by humans and other life forms
comes from, and is recycled and reabsorbed by
the current biosphere.

The problematic CO2 comes from sources that have
long been sequestered from the environment in
mineralogical forms, and then re-released when
burnt as fossil fuels, inflicting an accumulative
effect on atmospheric CO2 levels.

Old May 27th 07, 02:30 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Joe the Aroma

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill" writes:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will we ever see the day when American cities have thousands of
cyclists going up and down the street without unnecessary risks? It's
healthy for you as well as for your pocket and for the environment.

On a per pound basis, cycling generates more greenhouse gases than any
just
about any transportation method except walking.

:-)

The CO2 emitted by humans and other life forms
comes from, and is recycled and reabsorbed by
the current biosphere.

The problematic CO2 comes from sources that have
long been sequestered from the environment in
mineralogical forms, and then re-released when
burnt as fossil fuels, inflicting an accumulative
effect on atmospheric CO2 levels.

Eh? So the earth says to itself "uh oh, this CO2 molecule was generated by
cars and not humans, therefor I should recycle and reabsorb it"?

Old May 27th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
nash

"Joe the Aroma" wrote in message

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill" writes:

[...]

Global dimming mostly comes from airplanes and it is carbon particles. Not
exasperated by our lungs in other words. Global warming is the least of our
problems as it is now because the dimming particles are keeping us from
being burned up etc...

Old May 28th 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

Sancho Panza wrote:
Nope. I'm going to contribute it to Hillary Clinton's campaign funds. After
all, she invented the whole legal justification for the Wal-Mart system.

Crikey , I never suspected you were *that* much of a Republican. :-D
Old May 28th 07, 01:48 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

Joe the Aroma wrote:
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
"Anymouse" none wrote in message
"george conklin" wrote in message
news "John Mara" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:

As Calcutta outlaws pedicabs, they are now fashionable with the New
Urbanist crowd. You can take home some stuff on one, if you agree to
walk next to it. That ought to please those who want to go back in
time.

Pedicabs are popular enough in New York that the city council has
enacted regulations for them.

http://www.newsday.com/search/sns-ap...,2759553.story

--
John Mara

Yes, just as the third world is getting rid of such exploitation of
workers, NYC is starting up with its hazy visions of great the past used
to be.

"exploitation of workers"? Ridiculous! It's called capitalism and it's
not exploitative. I sometimes agree with you but your wrong this time.

George only likes market forces when they encourage things he likes
anyway...

Well doesn't everyone? That's the purpose of market forces... to encourage
"things you like".

Amy's characterization of George is hilariously apt. He's posted
endorsing wealth redistribution away from cities. The justification?
They apparently steal from the hinterlands. Somehow.
Old May 28th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

george conklin wrote:
wrote in message
.net...
In article k.net,
says...

In the third world they view the entire industry as exploiting. We
should
be ashamed of ourselves bringing the pedicab back. It shows how morally
bankrupt the New Urbanism is.

Do you consider all manual labor morally inferior

Pedicabs are not manual labor. It is considered to be abusive labor.

So if I go buy a pedicab and charge willing riders to be driven around
in it, I'm abusing myself?
Old May 28th 07, 01:15 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
George Conklin

george conklin wrote:

[...]

Poverty today is concentrated in rural areas. Cities have driven the price
of food down, down, down.
I suggest you understand the demography of poverty these days, which you
obviously do not.

Here is an article by the President of the Southern Sociological Society:

http://www.ncsociology.org/sociationtoday/v42/wim.htm

Read it and stop blessing your own stupidity.

American bikes best! yourbuddy General 2 December 21st 05 01:47 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS FROM $6! Steven General 0 May 5th 05 12:41 AM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America General 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America Rides 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM